The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What Asthma meds do you and/or a family member take? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3087583)

Kitty 34 03-28-2013 05:36 PM

What Asthma meds do you and/or a family member take?
 
I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering what you or a family member does to keep asthma under control. Do you take your meds seasonly or all the time?


Over the past month and a half, I have been prescribed various meds such as Advair, Spiriva, Albuterol inhaler and a breathing treatment machine for (I think) Albuterol. Not that it makes much difference but I just turned 59 so all these meds are quite new to me.

luvmy3 03-28-2013 05:46 PM

My ds takes QVAR which keeps his asthma controlled pretty well. He takes it year round but his doc plans on taking him off after allergy season to see if he can start using it only seasonally.

lovemygoofy 03-28-2013 05:50 PM

For the last 2 months or so my asthma has been out of control.

Right now I take advair 250 2x a day, albuterol inhaler(the new ones suck), xopeonex nebulizer meds 3x a day, and I'm coming off a big steriod burst.
This past couple months has been as bad for me breathing as I can remember. Between drowning in snot and then drowning in asthma mucus it is has not been fun.

I also take singluar and a allergy pill as well as nasal spray everyday. If my allergies are not under control, I might as well forget about my asthma doing anything. Also, if you have any kind of acide reflux it can trigger breathing problems as well.

fici 03-28-2013 05:51 PM

Asthma Medicine
 
In response to your email I am one who ignored my Asthma and then it got so that I could not anymore and ended up in the hospital for a week(10 years ago). Since that time I had been taking Adviar 100/50 and it was like I had my life again. I changed recently to Quair(I think that is the name) as it was less expensive now that I am now enrolled in an HSA medical plan but it is the same result. Take the medicine and see how it works for you. I was so silly(actually stupid would be a more accurate word but being afraid is part of it also) to not get a prescribed medication earlier.

I do wish you well and hope the medication you choose is successful for you.I suffered no reactions - you read their list and it is scary. Just covering there butt, In guess.

JessicaR 03-28-2013 06:00 PM

My son, 20 has been a diagnosed asthmatic since 2 years old. I would suggest a consult with a good Pulmonologist, and Allergist / Immunologist.

He has been on a nebulizer when things are bad. To maintain during peak times (for him) he is on Singulair, Advair and Albuterol. Occasionally he needs a predsnisone burst.

I can assure you that you want your asthma symptoms controlled as best as possible. Get a plan. :thumbsup2 Get a Peak Flow meter too - use it.

disfan07 03-28-2013 06:03 PM

I take a variety of medications for both my allergies an asthma.

Asthma: symbicort 160/4.5 twice a day. Pulmicort 1mg nebulizers twice a day. Xoponex nebulizer 1.25 twice a day and I have xoponex for a rescue inhaler

Allergies: Zyrtec in the morning. Allegra in the afternoon. Benadryl at night. Zetonna nasal spray. Patanol eye drops.

My pulmonologist prescribed me dulera instead of the symbicort but I had an allergic reaction to it so I'm stuck on symbicort which is not working very well at all.

Even with all of this I still get short of breath and I still have abnormal PFTs and spirometrys. My asthma is not well controlled and we know that. We're just running out of options and until we get my allergies under control nothing's going to work. What I really need is xolar but my IgE is too high to qualify.

sjs314 03-28-2013 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty 34 (Post 47940471)
I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering what you or a family member does to keep asthma under control. Do you take your meds seasonly or all the time?


Over the past month and a half, I have been prescribed various meds such as Advair, Spiriva, Albuterol inhaler and a breathing treatment machine for (I think) Albuterol. Not that it makes much difference but I just turned 59 so all these meds are quite new to me.

Until about 6 months ago I was using a Flovent inhaler 2x a day morning and night and Pro Air Inhaler (albuterol) as needed then my new Dr put me on Spiriva and Gave me a Nebulizer (albuterol) after a couple of months on the Spiriva I was able to stop the Flovent which I think is a steroid? I find I do not need to use my Pro Air as often any more since being on Spiriva and using the Nebulizer a few times a week.

disfan07 03-28-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaR (Post 47940667)
My son, 20 has been a diagnosed asthmatic since 2 years old. I would suggest a consult with a good Pulmonologist, and Allergist / Immunologist.

He has been on a nebulizer when things are bad. To maintain during peak times (for him) he is on Singulair, Advair and Albuterol. Occasionally he needs a predsnisone burst.

I can assure you that you want your asthma symptoms controlled as best as possible. Get a plan. :thumbsup2 Get a Peak Flow meter too - use it.

Both my allergist and pulmonologist (2 most recent pulm.) have said that peak flow meters are pointless. According to them they are not very useful or accurate. But of course that is just the opinion of 3 doctors...others have different opinions but I would definitely ask your particular doctor what they think about it.

minkydog 03-28-2013 06:15 PM

DH has severe lung/heart disease. He uses Spiriva, Advair, Singulair, Albuteral inhaler and Xopenex nebulizer, as well as high doses of Prednisone, on a daily basis. We don't go anywhere without his rescue inhaler.

JessicaR 03-28-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disfan07 (Post 47940729)
Both my allergist and pulmonologist (2 most recent pulm.) have said that peak flow meters are pointless. According to them they are not very useful or accurate. But of course that is just the opinion of 3 doctors...others have different opinions but I would definitely ask your particular doctor what they think about it.

I am sure each situation is different however - John Hopkins and Medline place a great deal of importance in Peak Flow readings. They have helped us greatly for 20 years.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ent_92,P07755/

American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, also supports Peak Flow readings.

http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-...low-meter.aspx

So again, For us, it has been beneficial.

disfan07 03-28-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaR (Post 47940806)
I am sure each situation is different however - John Hopkins and Medline place a great deal of importance in Peak Flow readings. They have helped us greatly for 20 years.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healt...ent_92,P07755/

American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, also supports Peak Flow readings.

http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-...low-meter.aspx

So again, For us, it has been beneficial.

Each situation is definitely different. What's interesting is that it was a Hopkins pulmonologist that told me to stop using the peak flow meter because it was useless...at least in my case.

But my numbers would never drop enough to warrant "concern" until I was almost in respiratory failure. I could be having a full blown asthma attack with "normal" numbers. They were just very inaccurate for me. Which is why we stopped. But I also have "abnormal" asthma as my pulmonologistS have called it because it's definitely asthma but its not even close to the textbook diagnosis or symptoms.

But just like everything else, that's why you always listen to your doctors recommendation. No two people are the same when it comes to any chronic illness.

JessicaR 03-28-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disfan07 (Post 47940912)
Each situation is definitely different. What's funny is that it was a Hopkins pulmonologist that told me to stop using the peak flow meter because it was useless...at least in my case.

But my numbers would never drop enough to warrant "concern" until I was almost in respiratory failure. I could be having a full blown asthma attack with "normal" numbers. They were just very inaccurate for me. Which is why we stopped. But I also have "abnormal" asthma as my pulmonologistS have called it because it's definitely asthma but its not even close to the textbook diagnosis or symptoms.

But just like everything else, that's why you always listen to your doctors recommendation. No two people are the same when it comes to any chronic illness.

I don't necessarily find it funny. However I do believe your case may and does differ from others. So sorry for your circumstances. :hug:

HonnyDipp 03-28-2013 06:34 PM

My DS15 has been on Xopnex nebulizer and inhaler since he was a year old. He started out on Albuterol but it just didn't work for him. He also uses Qvar and Singular once a day.

He's been hospitalized 14 times. Last stay was Oct. 2010. So hopefully he's starting to grow out it.

disfan07 03-28-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessicaR (Post 47940944)
I don't necessarily find it funny. However I do believe your case may and does differ from others. So sorry for your circumstances. :hug:

Oops....realized afterwards should have said interesting. Funny right now means interesting to me in the medical world because my doctors have been using it to describe "interesting" findings recently (we've been living in medical he** recently) so I've been using it in that context as well....I do get a lot of weird looks about that....lol

disfan07 03-28-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonnyDipp (Post 47940948)
My DS15 has been on Xopnex nebulizer and inhaler since he was a year old. He started out on Albuterol but it just didn't work for him. He also uses Qvar and Singular once a day.

He's been hospitalized 14 times. Last stay was Oct. 2010. So hopefully he's starting to grow out it.

Have they tried any other long acting meds like Advair, symbicort or dulera?

Dulera is supposed to be amazing. It just didn't work for me because I had an allergic reaction to it.

I understand about the Hospitalizations....since I developed asthma about 10 years ago I've been hospitalized more than 20 times...but 2 1/2 years without a Hospitalizations is great!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.