The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bed Bugs at SSR (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3086746)

rgf207 03-27-2013 08:21 AM

Bed Bugs at SSR

My SIL is currently at SSR with her entire family. 7 people total including a 2 year old. They are in a 2 bedroom at SSR and they have bed bugs everywhere. DSIL just called DW and told her.

Disney is completely taking care of them though which I thought was great. They are treating all of their clothes, getting them a new room and giving them money to go to Wal-Mart or somewhere to purchase new clothes.

Just a warning. I'm not sure how you can prevent this but people need to be aware.

BeccaG 03-27-2013 08:45 AM

Did she mention a room number?

gillenkl 03-27-2013 08:48 AM

I feel very bad for your family. This is my #1 hotel fear! Unfortunately it can happen anywhere - deluxes, mods, and values. I try to do a thorough room check before we made ourselves at home and bring in our luggage - not sure if it helps but it makes me feel better.

sunsetbeachgal 03-27-2013 08:51 AM

Ugh...wonder if other rooms are affected? What a horrible thought..

rgf207 03-27-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeccaG (Post 47923612)
Did she mention a room number?

no she didn't but I'll find out and post an update

Polydweller 03-27-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgf207 (Post 47923672)
no she didn't but I'll find out and post an update

Why bother? The bed bugs will have been dealt with by Disney. They have a very good program for this like all good hotels. The room won't be permanently infested, Disney will get rid of them and check nearby rooms, so the room number won't help anybody. You shoud check out any room you occupy.

As people say, bed bugs can occur anywhere. They can come in on people's luggage just by being near another piece of luggage that's infested during transit. The real issue is what the hotel does when they are notified and the OP reports that Disney is handling this well and they do.

There is no practical way for a hotel to prevent them arriving on guests luggage/belongings so no practical way to prevent them from entering the hotel. Your best defence is to do checks of the rooms and your luggage before occupying the room. They love to hide in seams.

Beth521 03-27-2013 09:30 AM

Oh my gosh! That is so awful....heeby jeebies just thinking about it!:headache:

http://distickers.com/ticker/tickers...4suhbf3xkz.png

magicmommy 03-27-2013 11:19 AM

Thanks for posting. I keep my eyes wide open since we check into AKL next Friday and SSR the Friday after!

OklahomaTourist 03-27-2013 11:26 AM

Ugh. Just plain ugh.

I know these things can show up anywhere, anytime, regardless of how "nice" the place is, and I know Disney will aggressively combat the filthy things, but man, just ugh!

As these things continue to proliferate, it almost seems to me that at some point there may come a time when hoteliers in general have to adopt a practice of some minimum effort at pest control every time a room gets turned over. May be a difficult or expensive practice if you (as an example) bug-bomb/fumigate a room and have to keep it unoccupied for a day, but it may be that doing so ends up being cheaper than having to fork out $$$ to have clothes laundered, pay for new clothes, and still end up having to clean the room.

Anyone have any links to "best practices" articles about what the hotel industry is going to do about these things?? About time we brought back DDT...

chicagodisneyfan 03-27-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OklahomaTourist (Post 47925249)
Ugh. Just plain ugh.

As these things continue to proliferate, it almost seems to me that at some point there may come a time when hoteliers in general have to adopt a practice of some minimum effort at pest control every time a room gets turned over. May be a difficult or expensive practice if you (as an example) bug-bomb/fumigate a room and have to keep it unoccupied for a day, but it may be that doing so ends up being cheaper than having to fork out $$$ to have clothes laundered, pay for new clothes, and still end up having to clean the room.

Anyone have any links to "best practices" articles about what the hotel industry is going to do about these things?? About time we brought back DDT...

Bed bugs are a nuisance, but to a healthy person, they are not threatening to ones health. DDT would be a huge overreaction.

Deb & Bill 03-27-2013 11:44 AM

How did your SIL arrive? If she flew, she might have brought them in herself. No need to worry about getting this same room. It will be cleaned and bedbugs eliminated because Disney takes care of things once they happen.

OklahomaTourist 03-27-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagodisneyfan (Post 47925351)
Bed bugs are a nuisance, but to a healthy person, they are not threatening to ones health. DDT would be a huge overreaction.

Not in my book, especially since it has long since been demonstrated that the "evils" assigned to DDT back in the 70's were largely fantasy/hysteria. Many third-world countries have begged western nations (the US in particular) to start making DDT again as an anti-mosquito agent to control malaria....but that's a topic for a different thread, I s'pose.

Sue M 03-27-2013 12:03 PM

Thanks for the reminder to be vigilant. But just wondering why mouse keeping wouldn't notice them on room turnover? They have to strip bedding so you'd think they would be trained to look for them on mattresses? :confused3

mrsltg 03-27-2013 12:16 PM

As others have said, this can happen anywhere. I won't bring anything past the threshold of the room until I have checked the beds (pull the sheets up and check the mattress seams) and the upholstered furniture. I am very pleased to say that I have never found anything!

dixiegirl 03-27-2013 12:25 PM

Best you can do for yourself is thoroughly check the room before you move in with any of your belongings. Unfortunately the hotel may not always be the source of these little buggers - could've picked them up on the plane or if the luggage was stored with any other luggage at any time.

Huge nuisance for everyone.