The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Purchasing DVC (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Resale Questions (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3085486)

sol2338 03-24-2013 08:03 PM

Resale Questions
 
Hi everyone :wave2:
I apologize if these questions have already been asked. I read and re-read some posts and it still doesn't make sense to me.

My sister and I are planning to purchase a membership. We are not sure if we want to go direct or resale. Our significant others are not completely on board with this so we need to educate them (and ourselves).

What is the main difference between direct and resale (besides cost)? I understand that with resale we won't be able to go on the DCL and we can't use the points towards Adventures by Disney. Anything else? Could we use resale points to stay at hotels around the world and not necessarily Disney owned? Is that what RCI is? Could these points be used towards WDW resorts that are not DVC?

We are planning on heading down to Disney to take the DVC tour in April. I just want to have an idea on the resale market since I won't be able to ask them those questions.

I'm sure I will have tons of questions so I appreciate everyone's input!:)

chalee94 03-24-2013 08:10 PM

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3085359

chalee94 03-24-2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sol2338 (Post 47898521)
Could we use resale points to stay at hotels around the world and not necessarily Disney owned? Is that what RCI is?

RCI is a timeshare exchange service. no hotels, only villas.

Quote:

Could these points be used towards WDW resorts that are not DVC?
as stated in the other thread, no. resale pts cannot be used for disney hotels, BUT those trades out of the DVC system are very expensive.

sol2338 03-24-2013 08:27 PM

I did read that post. I guess I need to find some more information on
RCI trades, Club Intrawest trades, Club Cordial trades. My sister and I would be fine with vacationing at WDW for the rest of our lives but the others not so much. We need to show them that we don't just have to do Disney vacations all the time. We can go other places if we wanted.

ajasmom 03-24-2013 08:55 PM

You CAN use your resale points at Hilton Head Island, Vero Beach and Aulani :cool1:

chalee94 03-24-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sol2338 (Post 47898755)
I did read that post. I guess I need to find some more information on
RCI trades, Club Intrawest trades, Club Cordial trades. My sister and I would be fine with vacationing at WDW for the rest of our lives but the others not so much. We need to show them that we don't just have to do Disney vacations all the time. We can go other places if we wanted.

the downside is that using DVC pts outside the DVC system will not give you a very good value. i'd suggest that DVC just might not be a very good fit for you...

sol2338 03-24-2013 09:26 PM

Oh no it's a good fit. I think resale might better a better option since the cost is about half of what direct would be.
We will just let them know that going outside of DVC would not be a good use of the points. DH loves to golf so Hilton head would work out.
Would we still get the merchandise discount and annual pass discount?

chalee94 03-24-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sol2338 (Post 47899348)
Would we still get the merchandise discount and annual pass discount?

right now, both resale and direct owners get the discounts.

but be aware that those sorts of perks/discounts can go away at any time for both direct and resale purchasers.

sol2338 03-25-2013 11:06 AM

So lets say we go resale and we wanted to add on a small amount. Would we be able to buy direct or would we be restrict to buy resale? I've read that disney has allowed small add ons to memberships.

PCMama 03-25-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sol2338
So lets say we go resale and we wanted to add on a small amount. Would we be able to buy direct or would we be restrict to buy resale? I've read that disney has allowed small add ons to memberships.

My understanding is you can add on direct

chalee94 03-25-2013 11:22 AM

you can add-on direct or resale.

direct pts can be used for trades like cruises (although a small add-on is meaningless as those sorts of trades take a ton of pts) and resale pts would continue to be restricted.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.