The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Transportation (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Liquid question for flights (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3083237)

abk96 03-20-2013 10:29 AM

Liquid question for flights

Is there a limit as to how much water you can pack in your checked luggage?

I'm not sure if this would work or how well it would travel but I was thinking about packing one suitcase with 24 bottles of water since SW has bags fly free. I would of course try to pack it as tight as possible with lots of plastic around it.

Has anyone done this and how did it turn out?

kaytieeldr 03-20-2013 10:55 AM

Weight limit is 50 pounds.
A half liter bottle of water weighs a little over a pound.

abk96 03-20-2013 11:43 AM

I know weight limits. I was wondering if they restrict you like they do with carry on liquids.

NotUrsula 03-20-2013 12:56 PM

No, not if it is water and factory-sealed. Please double-bag it with something absorbent between the inside and outside bags, such as wads of paper towels. If the pressure change causes a seal to break, you could soak someone else's luggage unless you have some way to reliably contain the leak within your bag.

FYI, there is a limit on personal transport of alcoholic beverages in most cases, but not because of any terrorism issue; it is because of tariff limits on transporting alcohol over state lines without paying state excise tax on it -- also known as bootlegging. ;)

gmeh1 03-20-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abk96 (Post 47855534)
I know weight limits. I was wondering if they restrict you like they do with carry on liquids.

No, they don't restrict it, however, we do have water here in FL. Not very expensive either.

abk96 03-20-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmeh1 (Post 47856336)
No, they don't restrict it, however, we do have water here in FL. Not very expensive either.

Ha Ha!
Disney does charge a lot for a bottle of water.

We used to get our water sent from Costco but the last time Disney charged us $10 per box. Crazy.

abk96 03-20-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotUrsula (Post 47856335)
No, not if it is water and factory-sealed. Please double-bag it with something absorbent between the inside and outside bags, such as wads of paper towels. If the pressure change causes a seal to break, you could soak someone else's luggage unless you have some way to reliably contain the leak within your bag.

FYI, there is a limit on personal transport of alcoholic beverages in most cases, but not because of any terrorism issue; it is because of tariff limits on transporting alcohol over state lines without paying state excise tax on it -- also known as bootlegging. ;)

Never thought about the pressure changes. Maybe this wouldn't be a great idea after all.

kaytieeldr 03-20-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abk96 (Post 47855534)

The TSA website and asking the actual questions for which one is seeking response result in the most accurate replies.

ccgirl 03-20-2013 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abk96 (Post 47856871)
Ha Ha!

We used to get our water sent from Costco but the last time Disney charged us $10 per box. Crazy.

Overweight charges are a lot more than $10

If you are in the area, we went to the Hess across from BWV for a few things and it was great.

tjmw2727 03-20-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Ha Ha!

FWIW not all Disney resorts charge to receive packages, only the convention resorts because they receive so many. So depending on the resort your staying at this time you may or may not be charged.

I use a grocery delivery service for water, soda juice, snacks, cold breakfast and some sandwich items - IMHO well worth the $14-18 delivery fee for them to shop and deliver! I use wegoshop but garden grocer gets good reviews as well.

I wouldn't pack liquids in my checked bag for fear of damage to luggage - mine and other passengers.

Jestocost 03-20-2013 09:56 PM

FWIW, 24 20 oz water bottles will weigh just a hair more than 31 lbs.

abk96 03-20-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaytieeldr (Post 47856950)
The TSA website and asking the actual questions for which one is seeking response result in the most accurate replies.

What?

Never mind. I'll decide myself.

Thanks.

gmeh1 03-21-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Ha Ha!

Yes, Disney does charge a lot for water, however, we have stores here too. ;)

abk96 03-21-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmeh1 (Post 47863742)
Yes, Disney does charge a lot for water, however, we have stores here too. ;)

That only works if you have a car.;)

Thanks for everyone who gave advice. I'll have to see how it works out when I pack.

kaytieeldr 03-21-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abk96 (Post 47864839)
That only works if you have a car.;)

Thanks for everyone who gave advice. I'll have to see how it works out when I pack.

A $10 shipment acceptance charge from the few resorts that charge it is still cheaper than buying individual bottles onsite. So is a grocery delivery service, as well as walking to the Hess station near Downtown Disney.