The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Magic Refurb (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081145)

erinsmom03 03-16-2013 03:26 PM

Magic Refurb
 
We had friends on the Magic in February, they came back excited and saying that they heard that Disney was going to be adding an aquaduck to the Magic.

Since we are booked on the Magic in April 2014, this was exciting to hear. I knew about the scheduled drydock, but had no idea how extensive the refurb would be. Now, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these rumors, and what do you think the chances are of it happening?

We were on the Fantasy for a week last month, and DD only went on the aquaduck about 5 times total, so I'm not sure if it would even mean that much to her. Just curious...

PrincessShmoo 03-16-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinsmom03 (Post 47817262)
We had friends on the Magic in February, they came back excited and saying that they heard that Disney was going to be adding an aquaduck to the Magic.

Since we are booked on the Magic in April 2014, this was exciting to hear. I knew about the scheduled drydock, but had no idea how extensive the refurb would be. Now, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these rumors, and what do you think the chances are of it happening?

We were on the Fantasy for a week last month, and DD only went on the aquaduck about 5 times total, so I'm not sure if it would even mean that much to her. Just curious...

They are not adding AquaDuck to the Magic. Her superstructure cannot support it. This is a rumor that keeps popping up. I believe they are making some changes to the the Mickey slide (or some slide that is in the kids club), I'm not sure.

The only things I've seen/read about (and not really confirmed or not) are that Topsiders will become more Cabanas-style, and Parrot Cay is getting a new look.

erinsmom03 03-16-2013 04:16 PM

I wondered if it could even work, thanks for the info! I hope they are planning to update the cabins? I'm hoping for the higher bed like on the Fantasy, loved storing our luggage under there. Updated bedding would be nice too!

PrincessShmoo 03-16-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinsmom03 (Post 47817629)
I wondered if it could even work, thanks for the info! I hope they are planning to update the cabins? I'm hoping for the higher bed like on the Fantasy, loved storing our luggage under there. Updated bedding would be nice too!

Someone did post that their server (like he would know?) said the beds were going to be changed out from the convertable twin/queen bed to the queen only configuration (like on the Dream and Fantasy). I really hope that isn't happening. But there probably will be updating done to the rooms, just not sure what.

We've always been able to put our bags under the beds on the Magic & Wonder. Sometimes you have to lift the foot of the bed to get the bag past the frame, but past that point, it's high enough for most bags.

erinsmom03 03-16-2013 11:33 PM

That is good to know, thanks for the storage tip!

su_A_ve 03-17-2013 12:11 AM

One rumor I heard on the Wonder was regarding Edge and Vibe. They might do the same they did with the newer ships and take over the front and move Vibe there and move Edge to the top.

But of course... nobody knows for sure...

ruadisneyfan2 03-17-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo (Post 47818004)
Someone did post that their server (like he would know?) said the beds were going to be changed out from the convertable twin/queen bed to the queen only configuration (like on the Dream and Fantasy). I really hope that isn't happening. But there probably will be updating done to the rooms, just not sure what.

We've always been able to put our bags under the beds on the Magic & Wonder. Sometimes you have to lift the foot of the bed to get the bag past the frame, but past that point, it's high enough for most bags.

Oh no! My ds16 is too tall for the sofa bed so we've been getting 2 cabins when sailing on the classic ships. My boys love having their own bed; a real bed. They would not enjoy sharing a queen. :headache: Even when they put the 2 halves together, I rarely feel the crack in the middle so why bother? It's great having a choice!

Spurr002 03-17-2013 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by su_A_ve (Post 47821475)
One rumor I heard on the Wonder was regarding Edge and Vibe. They might do the same they did with the newer ships and take over the front and move Vibe there and move Edge to the top.

But of course... nobody knows for sure...

To make the inside part of Vibe fit at the front of the older ships they would have to remove several staterooms, which they would probably not want to do.

ruadisneyfan2 03-17-2013 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spurr002 (Post 47821652)
To make the inside part of Vibe fit at the front of the older ships they would have to remove several staterooms, which they would probably not want to do.

But they could be adding them to where Edge is currently. That used to be a conference room originally & they obviously didn't have much need for that.

jlwhitney 03-17-2013 10:11 AM

One thing to remember is that the dry dock is only like a month and a half long ish, plus they have to do normal dry dock stuff on the outside.

Many of these these things would need longer than that especially to do them all.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing really changes but things like new furniture and such.

tajz90 03-17-2013 11:27 AM

I hope the new beds are added. We love the storage underneath the beds on Fantasy/Dream. I don't like having to lift the Magic/Wonder beds to slide luggage under.

luv2sleep 03-17-2013 11:32 AM

I like the twin/queen option. Why would removing that be an upgrade? That creates more limitations for passengers. I lifted the beds to store all of our luggage for our 2 week cruise just fine on the Wonder.

KPetty725 03-17-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erinsmom03 (Post 47817262)
We had friends on the Magic in February, they came back excited and saying that they heard that Disney was going to be adding an aquaduck to the Magic.

Since we are booked on the Magic in April 2014, this was exciting to hear. I knew about the scheduled drydock, but had no idea how extensive the refurb would be. Now, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these rumors, and what do you think the chances are of it happening?

We were on the Fantasy for a week last month, and DD only went on the aquaduck about 5 times total, so I'm not sure if it would even mean that much to her. Just curious...

The Magic currently has an extensive water leak problem that runs ship-wide. The main purpose of dry dock is to fix the plumbing and repair damage caused by water leaks. I only know this because we just sailed on 2/15 and we could feel water squishing around under our feet in the bathroom. The water wasn't visible and the floor was dry but when we talked to our stateroom steward about it, he said that the problem was extensive. We assumed we were the only ones dealing with it since we were on deck one but we talked to people as high as deck 7 experiencing the same thing. Sorry!

Mom323 03-17-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tajz90 (Post 47823990)
I hope the new beds are added. We love the storage underneath the beds on Fantasy/Dream. I don't like having to lift the Magic/Wonder beds to slide luggage under.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv2sleep (Post 47824032)
I like the twin/queen option. Why would removing that be an upgrade? That creates more limitations for passengers. I lifted the beds to store all of our luggage for our 2 week cruise just fine on the Wonder.

FYI we don't store anything under the beds anymore. On one of our cruises a stateroom had plumbing issues and there was a backup. Needless to say their items on the floor under the bed were wet and smelly. The floor of the closet sits higher, we store our luggage in there.

allears 03-17-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlwhitney (Post 47823310)
One thing to remember is that the dry dock is only like a month and a half long ish, plus they have to do normal dry dock stuff on the outside.

Many of these these things would need longer than that especially to do them all.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing really changes but things like new furniture and such.

It is highly likely that there will be extensive changes and up grades. During the normal dry dock periods in the past they have changed entire areas, such as adding spa villas, Diversions and in the Wonder the outlook cafe. As well as all if the maintenance issues.

This dry dock is three times longer and even though much of what we've heard are unconfirmed rumors, some of it will be true. We were told last year that the spa will be gutted and rebuilt.

Those dry dock teams work around the clock so a lot can be accomplished in that amount of time.

And while I think the classic sisters are amazing still, Disney will want to make as many updates as they can to bring them into line with their newer ships.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.