The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Old key west (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081060)

delilah18 03-16-2013 12:33 PM

Old key west
 
Hello

How big is old key west compared to other resorts?
Is it easy to navigate or confusing?
Also is the sandcastle pool slide good for younger kids?
Thsnks

trishadono 03-16-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delilah18 (Post 47815938)
Hello

How big is old key west compared to other resorts?
Is it easy to navigate or confusing?
Also is the sandcastle pool slide good for younger kids?
Thsnks

I think the name of our section was Turtle Pond or similar. We had a studio( which has 2 beds) on a cul-de-sac. The pool and hot tub was right there across the road from us. It even had a snack bar for lunches too. We never got to use the feature pool because you can't really walk there and who wants to ride a bus in wet swim stuff? If we hadn't been that close to that smaller pool I don't think we would have enjoyed the trip. It was only for a weekend so we didn't mind. The good thing is the room is large and bathroom area is bigger than most. It was quiet and you can take a boat to DTD. Cons were definitely felt separated from feature pool, shops etc. if you had a car then probably ok. I have stayed at notoriously famous large resorts like CSR and CBR. The difference mainly is that the mods you walk on pathways around the resort, where as OKW you walked on roads and with kids and distance not at all convenient.
Sorry if answer jumbled, got to run to a school thing.:wave2:

delilah18 03-16-2013 02:24 PM

We are driving so is it easy to drive to the main pool if you have a car?

TheRustyScupper 03-16-2013 02:42 PM

How big is old key west compared to other resorts?
. . . most spread-out of ANY resort on property (except FW Campground)

Is it easy to navigate or confusing?
. . . there are enough bus stops to prevent LONG walks
. . . the ,maps are very good, and not tough to navigate
. . . there are also smaller pools throughout the resort
. . . you don't have to get to the main pool every day


Also is the sandcastle pool slide good for younger kids?
. . . guess that depends upon age/maturity
. . . I have seen some pretty young kids on the slide
. . . plus, the sauna at the main pool is pretty nice



NOTE: I have worked (and stayed) at all the DVC resorts, except
BLT. OKW is by far my favorite DVC for style, room size, "friendly"
feeling. (BTW, my least favorite is SSR.)

TheRustyScupper 03-16-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delilah18 (Post 47816839)
We are driving so is it easy to drive to the main pool if you have a car?

Yes.

s.r.disney nut 03-16-2013 03:13 PM

Not true. there are sidewalks to walk on throughout the resort along the roadways.

Deb & Bill 03-16-2013 06:21 PM

There are plenty of sidewalks to walk on at OKW. You cannot walk across the golf course, so you must stay on the sidewalks. There are some areas where the sidewalk ends and there is a crosswalk to go to the other side of the street to rejoin the sidewalk. The longest walk from the end of South Point to the Hospitality House area is about ten minutes. An easy, pleasant walk. There is no reason at all to walk on the roads where you could get hit by a bus or car.

The biggest problem with trying to drive to the main pool is the lack of parking. Parking is very limited there with guests checking in or dining. If you cross the street, you are taking up spaces at the villas for those guests.

You can hop on any bus and get to the main pool. Then walk across the bridge to Peninsular Road bus stop and catch a bus back to your area if you don't want to walk.

spiceycat 03-16-2013 06:33 PM

here a map of OKW - walking nothing is more than 10 minutes. it is also about half the size of FW
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/okwmap.htm

OKW is not the biggest of the DVC resort - SSR holds than honor.

the slide might be too much for little ones - but most kids love it is Mickey Mouse.

here are some pictures of the pool and OKW in general
http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/showgallery.php/cat/908

trishadono 03-16-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deb & Bill (Post 47818759)
There are plenty of sidewalks to walk on at OKW. You cannot walk across the golf course, so you must stay on the sidewalks. There are some areas where the sidewalk ends and there is a crosswalk to go to the other side of the street to rejoin the sidewalk. The longest walk from the end of South Point to the Hospitality House area is about ten minutes. An easy, pleasant walk. There is no reason at all to walk on the roads where you could get hit by a bus or car.

The biggest problem with trying to drive to the main pool is the lack of parking. Parking is very limited there with guests checking in or dining. If you cross the street, you are taking up spaces at the villas for those guests.

You can hop on any bus and get to the main pool. Then walk across the bridge to Peninsular Road bus stop and catch a bus back to your area if you don't want to walk.


Isn't it strange that I don't mind walking through a resort in my wet suit and hair after a swim ( with towels or cover up) but the thought of being ALONG a road way bothers me. I did not like having kids that close to cars either. One dart away from you and splat. I just feel safer at the other resorts but surely can understand why others would love it. It was a very pretty resort.

spiceycat 03-16-2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishadono (Post 47818932)
Isn't it strange that I don't mind walking through a resort in my wet suit and hair after a swim ( with towels or cover up) but the thought of being ALONG a road way bothers me. I did not like having kids that close to cars either. One dart away from you and splat. I just feel safer at the other resorts but surely can understand why others would love it. It was a very pretty resort.

have never had any problems with OKW even walking alone. Since I am a solo traveler now - do that alot.

if anything the CM's both Security guards and housekeeping - kept trying to take me somewhere. was walking then because I loved it and it was for my health - which is why need to start back on that.

would walk really early before the sun come up and other times after the parks were closed.

OKW has a bunch of walker/joggers - it is pretty safe. the sidewalk are big - so unless your are on the phone and not paying attention to your kids - can't see them darting out. my niece and nephew (and their parents) when
they were 3 years old and 1 1/2 years 1992 stayed at OKW - and they went every year (and still do) - my SIL refused to use the leash - so the kids were either in their strollers or walking - never had any problems with them at OKW.

Deb & Bill 03-16-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishadono (Post 47818932)
Isn't it strange that I don't mind walking through a resort in my wet suit and hair after a swim ( with towels or cover up) but the thought of being ALONG a road way bothers me. I did not like having kids that close to cars either. One dart away from you and splat. I just feel safer at the other resorts but surely can understand why others would love it. It was a very pretty resort.

You never walk on sidewalks at home?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.