The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Have you ever been underwhelmed? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3080991)

disneycrazi 03-16-2013 09:13 AM

Have you ever been underwhelmed?

We just returned from a stay at Old Key West and well.......sad to say but I was very underwhelmed!
We have stayed at every value except AOA, every mod, and a few deluxes.. Old Key West is one we will never stay at again. The room was bland, and not really that clean. The counter service had the least variety of any resort I have ever been to. The theming wasn't to our liking either. I kept thinking wonder if we should switch to AKL which we loved and stayed at last September.
Has there been a resort that after staying there you thought ummm never agin?

Mousemommy1 03-16-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneycrazi (Post 47814808)
We just returned from a stay at Old Key West and well.......sad to say but I was very underwhelmed!
We have stayed at every value except AOA, every mod, and a few deluxes.. Old Key West is one we will never stay at again. The room was bland, and not really that clean. The counter service had the least variety of any resort I have ever been to. The theming wasn't to our liking either. I kept thinking wonder if we should switch to AKL which we loved and stayed at last September.

That's exactly how we felt about CBR. Before staying at CBR, we had only done the value resorts, so one year because of free dining we "upgraded" to CBR....and it was bleh! :scared:

We would rather stay at any of the values before we stay at CBR again, but, there is a resort for everyone and lots of people LOVE CBR.

We were blown away by WL, but people report being "underwhelmed" by it. :confused3
Different strokes for different folks.

Can't wait to see how we feel about YC next month! Part of the fun is trying new places! :thumbsup2

pepe of ohio 03-16-2013 09:21 AM

Yup, a few as a matter if fact....AKL, CSR and the GF ..... Been there done that... Once was enough... Oh to add, OKW!

JennyDrake 03-16-2013 09:33 AM

There is no resort that I feel "never again" about.

"I'm in no hurry to return" is rewarded to AoA and AKL. My opinion is based more upon logistics, customer service, location--not the quality and decor of the rooms/resorts--I ahd NO issues there whatsoever!!!

mad madam mim78 03-16-2013 09:39 AM

CBR was my underwhelming place. The room was so disappointing. It just didn't feel disney to me.

PoR gives me that great disney feel :).

lsyorke 03-16-2013 09:42 AM

I love OKW, but I think it's what one is looking for out of their vacation. The quiet laid back atmosphere and LARGE rooms are great for my family. After so many years of going to WDW, I don't feel the need to immersed in Disney anymore.

LSchrow 03-16-2013 09:48 AM

having stayed at almost all the mods, deluxes, and DVCs....
just 2: OKW and POR.

our room at OKW was not very clean (including ant invasions that we finally took care of ourselves, after multiple promises - and no shows - from housekeeping), the only DVC/deluxe where views were just eh (we are view addicts:)), noise and exhaust fumes from cars and buses. we did like olivia's, the resort itself is pretty, but doesn't have the "away from it all" feeling (parking by the rooms, and close roads detract from that).
we don't care for the close parking at BCV/BC (seriously, don't like seeing/hearing/smelling cars:rolleyes:), the high noise levels, and overly crowded main pool - but would consider staying there for a short stay. (we loved the YC tho - just avoided the main pool and the BC)

POR was just too dark and dank for our tastes.

the others were amazing:goodvibes

bennifer 03-16-2013 09:48 AM

I was underwhelmed with CBR and SSR. While I didn't hate them, I'm in hurry to go back.

Wood Nymph 03-16-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Believe it or not, I was underwhelmed by the Polynesian. I was used to staying at the BC and BCV and had been very spoiled by having everything under one roof and the very short walk to Epcot. My sister and I ran the Disney half marathon one year, and the race package included three nights at the Polynesian in the Tahiti building, lagoon view room, which happens to be one of the favored buildings. Unfortunately, that weekend was mostly cold and rainy. I hated the long walk in the wind and rain to get a cup of coffee in the morning. Although the Poly room was larger than the BC room, it felt much less upscale than the rooms at the BC. We had a great castle view and we were the second room from the end, closest to the ferry, so it was a nice walk to the TTC. But the main building where the restaurants and monorail access are just seemed cold and dreary.

To give the Poly a fair chance, though, I am sure that it is much nicer when it isn't cold and rainy out. But I have no desire to spend the extra money to stay at the Poly when there are so many nicer deluxe resorts to stay at. :)

Three cats 03-16-2013 09:56 AM

We felt that way about Saratoga Springs. Felt just like staying in a random condo complex. Once was definitely enough for us.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

Deb & Bill 03-16-2013 09:57 AM

OKW is the original Disney Vacation Club Resort. It was built as a timeshare and not as a hotel. So if you expect a hotel with a food court, you don't get that. It doesn't have elevators in the buildings except for the three newest buildings that were built around 1999.

Each villa has either a full kitchen or a kitchenette, so they don't expect guests to need a full service counter service. Goods to Go is pretty much just for eating at the main pool, but they started offering a limited breakfast menu when the dining plan opened up.

OKW is our resort of choice because there is no "in your face" Disney. It's a relaxing resort that takes you away from the rat race of the theme parks. It's built around a golf course. And the rooms are huge. Full sized (not stackable like the other DVC resorts) washers and dryers in one bedroom or larger villas.

We love the colors of the resort - pastel pinks, blues, greens, yellows. We always have a car, so parking right outside our villa it a big plus. No giant parking lot to walk a mile from. You can walk around the resort, walk to DTD, take a boat to DTD, go fishing, rent a boat, head to the Community Hall to play games or rent a movie.

We love OKW. But it's nice that Disney has options for every guest.

kristen2276 03-16-2013 09:58 AM

we were underwhelmed by the Boardwalk Inn. We had to change rooms 3x, the resort needed some upkeep, and the lack of food choices was surprising for a deluxe. Now, we would give it a chance again, but we are not in a rush-

carly chloe 03-16-2013 10:03 AM

We were underwhelmed with POP. We've stayed at all levels and have been to the AllStars before but POP wasn't for us. Yes it was colorful and new but it was total madness and on top of that the beds were terrible and our sink never got hot and I could hear the conversation in the next room when I was getting ready.

mickeynut1 03-16-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

We have stayed at CBR, WL, AKL, BC, Poly, and GF and while our favorite is the Poly, we love all of them for different reasons and never felt "underwhelmed" at any of them. We are probably in the minority as we have loved all of the resorts we've tried and wouldn't hesitate to stay at any of them again.

davedmaine 03-16-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneycrazi

You said it perfectly..