The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Booking 1st Cruise- Why are prices so different??????? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3079706)

tiawolfe 03-13-2013 05:23 PM

Booking 1st Cruise- Why are prices so different???????

I am looking at booking my first cruise for April 2014. What is the best place to book? Expedia has the cruise for $500 per person, the Disney site was just under $600, and Travelocity had a different price.

What am I missing- why are the prices so different???

lbgraves 03-13-2013 05:30 PM

TAs cannot offer a lower price for DCL's cruises. What the difference may be is transfers or insurance. Some sites include them and some require you to add them. They can offer OBCs, but those won't be reflected in the price quote you get.

PrincessShmoo 03-13-2013 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiawolfe (Post 47789933)
I am looking at booking my first cruise for April 2014. What is the best place to book? Expedia has the cruise for $500 per person, the Disney site was just under $600, and Travelocity had a different price.

What am I missing- why are the prices so different???

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Are all the sites quoting just the cruisefare? Or do they include such things as taxes, port fees, insurance? Is it the same cruise date & room?

No other travel service can discount DCL cruises. The price will be the same, regardless of who books it.

cruisecrasher 03-14-2013 06:22 AM

You'll also see major differences week to week, room to room, itinerary to itinerary and ship to ship.

littleacceb 03-14-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves (Post 47790007)
TAs cannot offer a lower price for DCL's cruises. What the difference may be is transfers or insurance. Some sites include them and some require you to add them. They can offer OBCs, but those won't be reflected in the price quote you get.

That's interesting - do you know if that's just a rule within the US? I just booked with a TA who immediately quoted 5% less than Disney, but was haggled down to a total discount of 9%.

reimero 03-14-2013 10:53 AM

The apples-to-apples warning is essential here. The DCL website is all-inclusive, i.e. quoting the total rate including all taxes and fees. Many TAs quote fares per person, and don't always include the extra fees. I'm a little suspicious of a TA who goes below DCL's rate. My hunch is the difference comes out of the TA's kickback, and if DCL gets wind of it, they may not offer that TA any more incentives.

JimGA 03-14-2013 11:23 AM

The price you see on DCL website is the price the crusie will cost you, regardless of where you book it.

littleacceb 03-14-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reimero (Post 47796511)
The apples-to-apples warning is essential here. The DCL website is all-inclusive, i.e. quoting the total rate including all taxes and fees. Many TAs quote fares per person, and don't always include the extra fees. I'm a little suspicious of a TA who goes below DCL's rate. My hunch is the difference comes out of the TA's kickback, and if DCL gets wind of it, they may not offer that TA any more incentives.

Thanks for the info. :goodvibes Taxes and fees were included - it must be a rule that they only enforce within the US, as the TA was a very large company and very forthcoming about the 5% discount being their standard practice, so they wouldn't have been able to hide it from Disney very easily. I should imagine Disney have mystery shopper type people to make sure TAs aren't doing deals.

It does seem a little cheeky of Disney to fix prices! But I can see that they have to do what they can to show that they are a luxury brand, especially as lots of people still mistakenly think they're "just for kids".

reimero 03-14-2013 02:06 PM

Either that, or because DCL's base currency is the USD, some TAs might hedge their bets on currency movement. So if the TA has reason to expect a 5% variance in the exchange rate prior to your paid-in-full date, they might use that to your advantage.