The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   hardest time in Alaska (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3079589)

disneyjex 03-13-2013 02:36 PM

hardest time in Alaska

Hi all!! I am having a very hard time trying to figure out what to wear to Alaska. I have gotten everyone's input but its Spring and there is no more winter clothes. I feel like I should just wear my Disney sweaters they are warm

PrincessShmoo 03-13-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneyjex (Post 47787500)
Hi all!! I am having a very hard time trying to figure out what to wear to Alaska. I have gotten everyone's input but its Spring and there is no more winter clothes. I feel like I should just wear my Disney sweaters they are warm

The secret for dressing in Alaska is layers, layers, layers. The weather is quite variable anytime (and can change within 1/2 hour or less).

An underlayer (thermal/turtleneck), shirt, light jacket or fleece, and waterproof shell seem to be the best for at start. That way you can take off, or add layers as necessary for the weather.

And don't forget a hat/gloves for chillier days.

Justacruiser 03-13-2013 03:15 PM

I lived in Alaska for a year and yes layers is the best way to dress. The SUN is going to be the driving force for your warmth. If you are going during th summer, daylight is an extreme premium. My DW is cold natured and she would wear the following:

Disney T-Shirt
Disney Hoody
Jacket - not bulky
Gloves
Leggings or tights
Jeens, snowpants, sweatsuit pants
hat/cap
Sweater

It really isn't that bad when you are in the SUN. If you haven't been to Alaska, I promise it will be a trip you will never forget. Take your camera.

Also get a BOX of handwarmers at Walmart! In the hunting section! A BOX! you can put them in your pockets to keep your hands warm and your shoes. Please read the directions before use. This has been a public service announcement!

alaskanabbott 03-13-2013 04:32 PM

Bring your sweatshirts, and also a fleece jacket. That should be fine for spring. Grab those 50 cent knit gloves, too. I've been to Mendenhal Glaciar in March and it was lovely. You just never know up here. We only needed a light jacket.
When we left Anchorage for our cruise out of Galveston last January and we were so excited to be leaving our big heavy coats behind. Our 3 pre-cruie days we were miserable, it was SOOOO cold!!! Then our oldest son who was still in Alaska let us know that it was actually warmer back home than it was in Galveston :rotfl2:
Sometimes in the summer up here I will be at our son's baseball games in June wearing a tank top, cardigan, jacket and gloves. The the sun comes out and you see everyone in the stands strip down to their tank tops.....for about 15 minutes until the sun goes back behind the clouds and jackets and gloves go back on until the next time the sun peeks thru. Our weather is THAT crazy!
Just as everyone else has said, bring layers, don't discount that it can be warm...and don't forget the gloves or bug spray!

bumbershoot 03-13-2013 05:57 PM

We had a hard time finding clothes for our Alaska cruise back in 2003, and finally found an outlet that had outdoor gear where we bought 3-in-1 coats that worked well except for one day when we froze (on RCCL you can stand right up at the bow and we did that as we approached the glacier...brrrr...but I don't think Disney ships have a spot like that right at the front of the ship so it might not apply).

But now surely there are online places you can look at for warmer clothes; your local Target might not have anything, but maybe look on amazon?

Layers are definitely the way to go! With a waterproof layer to go over the top, just in case.

Weedy 03-13-2013 06:35 PM

When we went I got a lot of good deals from Lands End

http://www.landsend.com/ix/outerwear...35&pageSize=72

dahuffy 03-13-2013 06:57 PM

subbing

lbgraves 03-13-2013 07:15 PM

It is very chilly on deck when the ship is moving. We found that when we were out on decks 4 & 10 whale watching and simply enjoying the beauty we were sailing by we bundled up with several layers including our winter coats, as well as wrapping up in one of the fleece blankets they provided on deck 4.

DisSarahK 03-13-2013 08:39 PM

Definitely bring handwarmers. I ordered a big batch of them from Amazon and my family was very happy to have them.

I wore a long sleeve shirt, my North Face fleece, and then zipped my North Face rain coat over the fleece. Plus a hat, of course. Worked great!

dahuffy 03-13-2013 09:17 PM

We will be there in the middle of July next year,want do the "experts" suggest?

Yokelridesagain 03-13-2013 09:52 PM

(Disclaimer: I'm Minnesotan, so take anything I say about winter with a grain of salt if you're not of a similar persuasion.)

It's not THAT cold in the part of Alaska that you're going to, even in winter. You certainly don't need serious cold weather gear.

In terms of warmth, a heavy sweater would be fine, but I would advise you to think more in terms of rain. It rains a lot in SE Alaska, and 40 degrees in a wet sweater isn't fun. Light sweater (or long sleeved shirt) and a waterproof windbreaker is the way to go.

hamm1207 03-13-2013 10:15 PM

We live in AK, and I would recommend just dressing for layers. A sweater/sweatshirt should be fine, just be sure to also have a water proof jacket because it rains a lot in SE AK.

gojulia 03-14-2013 08:02 AM

We were fine with jeans, sweatshirts and sweaters, raincoats and sneakers. Honestly, the whole thing was very casual and we just added hats and gloves when it was super cold. My husband wore shorts a few times. I wore some workout clothes. I was glad I didn't stress too much about waterproof pants or boots or some of the other things that had been suggested. We were totally fine with what we'd brought!

DahliaRW 03-14-2013 02:08 PM

I would recommend having one thing you can layer on top that will stop the wind from going right through all the other layers. Fleece does not do this, a nice shell jacket or rain jacket will.

I've never cruise in AK, but I've been there a lot in the summer and the wind can be COLD. And if you're on the deck of a cruise ship, there is going to be at least a slight breeze.

zandlmom 03-14-2013 03:58 PM

What about shoes? I'm trying to decide whether to get water resistant hiking type shoes or just spray our tennis shoes with waterproof spray. We aren't doing serious hiking but don't want miserable wet feet if we are out and about in the rain for a day. Hard to know where to spend the $ and where to save for excursions! :-)