The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Ohana and allergies question (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3079570)

mrsap 03-13-2013 01:05 PM

Ohana and allergies question

Hello everyone! We heard such great things about Ohana and wanted to try it this year, however I'm concerned because my son has an egg and peanut allergy. Has anyone had a substitution there? If so, could you let me know what was offered? Thank you!!

clanmcculloch 03-13-2013 01:55 PM

My family has a lot of allergies including 3 with peanut allergies, one of whom is also allergic to eggs. We eat REALLY well at 'Ohana for both breakfast and dinner.

It's not so much that your sone will get a substitution. Your son will have safe versions of most of the foods (ones that aren't already safe; ex the salad is safe as-is) prepared in the allergy safe areas of the kitchen. At dinner he should also get allergy safe sauce(s). His food will be served on separate platters as well.

Lets see, what did we get..... I don't know if you're asking about breakfast or dinner so I'll list both. Remember that we've got a boatload more allergies than your son does so he'll likely have even more options than us.

Breakfast: Mickey waffles with real maple syrup, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes, fruit (I don't know if your son can have the breads or not. I know we can't because we're also gluten free. The chefs will know for sure.)

Dinner: chicken wings without the sauce (did have the rub), salad, steamed broccoli (not sure which vegetables are now included; this was before the recent change) and a platter with a mound of white rice in the middle with a bunch of skewers of the various types of meats. I'm not sure if the noodle dish or dumplings would be safe for your son; I know they're not safe for us because of gluten so I didn't ask what other allergens they contain. He may also be able to have the sauce on the wings. I don't recall which of our allergies meant no sauce for us but the chef will let you know. For dessert we typically get soy ice cream (we're also milk free) with whatever allergy safe baked good is currently available at WDW (these days likely the Enjoy Life cookies). They used to have an allergy safe teriyaki sauce and sweet & sour sauce. A blogger I follow mentioned that she still got both of these sauces even since the change to only serve the peanut sauce so discuss sauce options with the chef.

We always leave breakfast and dinner way over stuffed. LOTS of good food.

Ginamarie 03-13-2013 02:02 PM

We thought Ohana was fine for allergies. My mother has a pineapple allergy, and the chef came out to review exactly where she might have a problem and to see if she needed anything additional.

mrsap 03-13-2013 02:04 PM

Thanks for writing!!! Were the kids who were allergic to eggs able to eat the waffles? I was told when we went to Chef Mickeys that its a pre made mix. They had to make him eggless French toast. We will most likely go for breakfast. Thanks again!

clanmcculloch 03-13-2013 02:11 PM

At Chef Mickey the chef should have been able to make waffles. Sounds like you got a lazy chef. Lots of people with a heck of a lot more allergies including eggs get waffles there. You'll have to be prepared for the fact that they're also gluten and milk free as well. Restaurants use a dedicated allergy waffle maker so the mix has to be safe from as many allergens as possible. Around WDW they use Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake/waffle mix or Namaste pancake/waffle mix or a mixture of the two. I don't remember which they use at the Polynesian but they taste more Bob's Red Mill to me.

Yes, my DD with egg allergies did get to eat waffles. Actually, this most recent trip she was tired of waffles (it was our last day and she had waffles every day during our trip) so the chef made her pancakes which I thought was nice.

mrsap 03-13-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clanmcculloch
At Chef Mickey the chef should have been able to make waffles. Sounds like you got a lazy chef. Lots of people with a heck of a lot more allergies including eggs get waffles there. You'll have to be prepared for the fact that they're also gluten and milk free as well. Restaurants use a dedicated allergy waffle maker so the mix has to be safe from as many allergens as possible. Around WDW they use Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake/waffle mix or Namaste pancake/waffle mix or a mixture of the two. I don't remember which they use at the Polynesian but they taste more Bob's Red Mill to me.

Yes, my DD with egg allergies did get to eat waffles. Actually, this most recent trip she was tired of waffles (it was our last day and she had waffles every day during our trip) so the chef made her pancakes which I thought was nice.

Great to hear, thank you so much!!!!! I think he will love Mickey waffles!! I don't mind if they're milk and gluten free, as long as he can eat them I'm happy!! The bakery in Downtown Disney is fabulous too for allergies! It was wonderful to see him eat a cupcake that I didn't have to personally make special for him!!! Thanks again!!

CarrieR 03-13-2013 02:52 PM

We did Ohana with allergies twice. First time was awesome. Second time was horrible - only bad allergy dining experience ever. Took a friend who has eight anaphylactic allergies, including soy, and the Chef lost his head. He was rude, sarcastic, and careless - we were delivered unsafe food. Thank goodness no one ate anything before the error was caught.

He was a lot more attentive, kind and patient after that.

I definitely think our experience was the exception, but I can't give it the same glowing review I do all of the other restaurants. (If it helps any, I am confident enough that it is a fluke that we will be trying Ohana again this summer after two years off. Without our soy-allergic friend. ;)) Just be vigilant.

mrsap 03-14-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarrieR
We did Ohana with allergies twice. First time was awesome. Second time was horrible - only bad allergy dining experience ever. Took a friend who has eight anaphylactic allergies, including soy, and the Chef lost his head. He was rude, sarcastic, and careless - we were delivered unsafe food. Thank goodness no one ate anything before the error was caught.

He was a lot more attentive, kind and patient after that.

I definitely think our experience was the exception, but I can't give it the same glowing review I do all of the other restaurants. (If it helps any, I am confident enough that it is a fluke that we will be trying Ohana again this summer after two years off. Without our soy-allergic friend. ;)) Just be vigilant.

Oh wow! That's crazy! I'm happy everything worked out.

I'm just happy that there is alternate food for him to eat. I want him to be able to share the experience with us.
Thanks again everyone!

iheartbelle87 03-17-2013 07:37 PM

This was quite helpful! My mother and I have never done Ohana and we're considering it for dinner this year- she a lot of allergies:

-peanuts
-milk (different from lactose intolerant)
-shrimp (not all shellfish)
-tomato

phew.

Eliserose 03-17-2013 08:18 PM

We've always avoided it due to peanut and shellfish allergies, but decided to make a reservation for our upcoming trip after hearing lots of good allergy reviews, including the fact that they prepare it in a special part of the kitchen. I may bring some wipes and wipe down the table where my daughter is sitting in case of any residual peanut sauce.