The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   ME to Disney Cruise (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3079537)

gillylax 03-13-2013 01:10 PM

ME to Disney Cruise

:cool1: This will be my first time taking ME to Port Canaveral from MCO. How often does ME leave the airport and what time do they start. We arrive on Saturday the day of our cruise at 11:30 AM.:yay:

TDC Nala 03-13-2013 01:11 PM

It's not ME, that service only goes to and from the Disney resorts. You do meet the bus in the same place, but let them know you have cruise transfers.

I think the cruise transfers start around 9:30 (I had the first one once) and they go whenever they fill up another bus.

gillylax 03-13-2013 01:46 PM

I heard mention of Mears Transport..are they the ones Disney contracts with?

TDC Nala 03-13-2013 04:03 PM

On these boards, "ME" refers to "Magical Express," the free (included) airport/resort transfers.

Both Magical Express and the cruise transfers are contracted to Mears Transportation.

Gilland18 03-13-2013 05:09 PM

The transfers for the cruises cost $35 pp and you need to book them before you cruise. They aren't automatic or included.

su_A_ve 03-13-2013 06:15 PM

Magical Express (ME) is the free service WDW provides between MCO and the resorts.

DCL has optional transfers from MCO or the resorts to Port Canaveral for $35 per person, EACH WAY.

Both (ME and DCL transfers) are managed by MEARS. The buses are for the exclusive use of WDW and DCL (they have a Disney theme and provide disney entertainment and video), however there are times due to equipment failure that a regular MEARS bus would be substituted. If so, there might be or not the disney entertainment and informational video.

I hate the video when going to MCO - It ends with the gang singing M.I.C.K.E.Y and puts a tear in my eye...

trickiwoo 03-14-2013 12:38 PM

I'm not sure how often the cruise buses leave the airport. When we took the cruise bus from MCO, we were there at 9 am and on the first bus.

The cruise buses are located in the same area of the airport as the ME. When you approach, just tell the CM that you are on a cruise. They will direct you to the desk to check in. At the desk you are given a boarding group. (When we went they were named after Disney characters, and we were in the Pluto group.)

Unlike the ME where you wait in line to board your bus, for a cruise there is a lobby with tables and chairs. So you find a seat and wait for them to call your group. Then when your group is called, you line up and board your bus!

PrincessShmoo 03-14-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trickiwoo (Post 47796977)
I'm not sure how often the cruise buses leave the airport. When we took the cruise bus from MCO, we were there at 9 am and on the first bus.

The cruise buses are located in the same area of the airport as the ME. When you approach, just tell the CM that you are on a cruise. They will direct you to the desk to check in. At the desk you are given a boarding group. (When we went they were named after Disney characters, and we were in the Pluto group.)

Unlike the ME where you wait in line to board your bus, for a cruise there is a lobby with tables and chairs. So you find a seat and wait for them to call your group. Then when your group is called, you line up and board your bus!

The busses generally start running about 9:00-9:30. They depart when full, or every 20 minutes, whichever occurs first.

Disneylandfanatic 03-14-2013 01:28 PM

Does anyone know if you can use magical express if you just want to go from the airport to downtown disney for the day and then back to the airport? IF not, what transportation service do you suggest and what is the cost?

sesame_123 03-14-2013 01:40 PM

ME is for registered guests at a resort. Used to get to a resort from the airport and then from the resort back to the airport. I don't think you can use it for DTD. There are several options. Taxi. Mears shuttles. Rental car. But nothing free.

"Cinder" Ella's Mom 03-14-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sesame_123 (Post 47797721)
ME is for registered guests at a resort. Used to get to a resort from the airport and then from the resort back to the airport. I don't think you can use it for DTD. There are several options. Taxi. Mears shuttles. Rental car. But nothing free.

This is correct. It is free service offered only to guests with resort reservations. You can't even sign up for it without a resort ressie and they don't go to downtown Disney, just resorts.

Disneylandfanatic 03-14-2013 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone! this will all depend on what how are plans play out over the next few months, mainly on our flight...but it seems that if I rent a car it would be cheapest if we get in early enough, we have 4 adults...so if we rented a car, drove to dowtown disney for a day and then drove down to port canaveral and returned the car morning of the cruise that would make sense. If our flight does not arrive early we will just stay at Hyatt airport and take DCL transfers. Glad I have plan A and B now :-)

staley98 03-14-2013 03:00 PM

Another "newbie" question: we are first time cruisers who will be arriving at MCO the afternoon before our cruise. We are staying at the Hilton in the airport and are planning on using the DCL transfers. As a first timer, I assume that I will have a later PAT. If I take the DCL transport from MCO and happen to be on one of the first buses, will they check us in early or will I have to entertain my children until our PAT?

clten 03-14-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staley98 (Post 47798678)
Another "newbie" question: we are first time cruisers who will be arriving at MCO the afternoon before our cruise. We are staying at the Hilton in the airport and are planning on using the DCL transfers. As a first timer, I assume that I will have a later PAT. If I take the DCL transport from MCO and happen to be on one of the first buses, will they check us in early or will I have to entertain my children until our PAT?

If you are staying in the airport, I hope you're staying at the Hyatt not the Hilton. When doing your online registration, you will have to select a PAT but if you are taking Disney transfers, they are disregarded. You will be able to check-in as soon as your DCL bus arrives at the port. If for some reason the port is too full when your bus arrives, they will hold you onboard for a couple of minutes but usually not very long.

staley98 03-14-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clten

If you are staying in the airport, I hope you're staying at the Hyatt not the Hilton. When doing your online registration, you will have to select a PAT but if you are taking Disney transfers, they are disregarded. You will be able to check-in as soon as your DCL bus arrives at the port. If for some reason the port is too full when your bus arrives, they will hold you onboard for a couple of minutes but usually not very long.

Thank you so much! We will be staying at the Hyatt in the airport. Therefore, I will try to get on one of the first buses.
We're going in June and I know that the ship is nearly to capacity. I had read in other threads about people waiting for a couple of hours to board. I guess that's just another reason why it's worth the extra expense to take the DCL bus!