The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Asmu-family suite or fw-cabin (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078838)

LeahA 03-12-2013 09:11 AM

Asmu-family suite or fw-cabin
 
2-ADULTS
3-KIDS
Have not stayed at either resort

Same Price

Any thoughts or suggestions on these 2 resorts?

Jasperann 03-12-2013 09:19 AM

Okay I've stayed at both resorts... I have not stayed in a cabin but I have stayed in a family suite.

We LOVED the feel of FW, very relaxing. It was amazing, the boat ride in the morning to MK was a nice way to start the day. I think if we got a chance I would pick the cabins. My hubby would feel differently, because you have to take a bus to the pool at FW and they have no QS. You have to walk to your bus stop from your cabin and then you have to walk again to get to the boat if you are going to MK. The walk from the bus to the boat is about the length from the front of ASMu to the back of ASMu. (It might be longer.) My hubby would pick ASMu because we were right at the pool and QS was a very short walk away. There is a lot more walking at FW.

My kids loved both pools, they did not miss the slide at ASMu at all. We did enjoy the two bathrooms at ASMu. I know you only get one at the cabins, but you get a full kitchen, which would be awesome if you wanted to cook.

jennab 03-12-2013 09:34 AM

We stayed at the cabins (4 adults and 1 child) and it worked out well. We didn't rent a golf cart so used the internal busses. We never waited more than a few minutes for one but DH hated having to switch busses (with a stroller a little more of a pain). There are quick service options. A walk up counter at the main restaurant and one by the pool I believe (we never made it to the pools). There were lots of activities there. We didn't get to try any (DS was only 1) but if he was older would have been fun. It was also nice to have a deck to hang out on!

I have not stayed in a family suite but we did pick the cabins over AOA but we had mostly adults…. It was nice being only a boat ride from MK and CR if we wanted to hop the monorail for fun

LeahA 03-12-2013 09:37 AM

Thanks for all your information. I guess, I really need to think if all the walking would be too much. We would cook some food in the kitchen but not every meal. I don't care so much about the food court. Decisions...Decisions....

SA mom 03-12-2013 10:20 AM

I know the family suites have 2 bathrooms, what about the cabins? That would be a big factor for us.

sharadoc 03-12-2013 10:27 AM

We've stayed in both, they both have pluses and minuses. Here's my review from 2009:

http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2272883

Nothing beats the privacy of a cabin. You'll NEVER hear a toilet flush, feet running outside your door or over your head, babies crying or people yelling through the walls. Plus the trees, wildlife, just the peacefulness of it all is just SO relaxing at a cabin. The cabin pool area is small but wonderful - surrounded by large mature trees, plus a hot tub.

LeahA 03-12-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharadoc (Post 47774580)
We've stayed in both, they both have pluses and minuses. Here's my review from 2009:

http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2272883

Nothing beats the privacy of a cabin. You'll NEVER hear a toilet flush, feet running outside your door or over your head, babies crying or people yelling through the walls. Plus the trees, wildlife, just the peacefulness of it all is just SO relaxing at a cabin. The cabin pool area is small but wonderful - surrounded by large mature trees, plus a hot tub.

Thank you for the great review, I just read it. Not sure what were going to do, we might rent points at a DVC, that would be more money though. We miss our DVC, had to sell last year!

gorkt 03-12-2013 12:20 PM

I have done both and I vote for the cabins hands down. Much more relaxing.

veraletta 03-12-2013 01:13 PM

I love the cabins... So another vote for Fort Wilderness Cabins...

maxiesmom 03-12-2013 02:29 PM

I vote for the Family Suite because of the second bathroom. And the easier transportation. Waiting for one bus is bad enough, having to wait for 2 to get where you want to go would be worse.:crazy2:

GOOFY4DONALD 03-12-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahA
2-ADULTS
3-KIDS
Have not stayed at either resort

Same Price

Any thoughts or suggestions on these 2 resorts?

We just came back from our 2nd stay at the cabins (actually last dec) and they are nothing like they used to be. Maybe it was an off week. The housekeeping was ok but they left us 1 bottle of shampoo the first cleaning and every day after we had to call for more. The once loved trails end seemed to close at different times everyday and the 10 locking of the soda machine was always closed by 9...good thing our mugs were free. We rented a golf cart but the transportation out of FW was triple the time it was in 2007. That being said... Of you are looking to have a relaxing vacation FW is pretty good. If your family wants to be on the go go go I would pick AS Music.

LeahA 03-12-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOOFY4DONALD (Post 47779177)
We just came back from our 2nd stay at the cabins (actually last dec) and they are nothing like they used to be. Maybe it was an off week. The housekeeping was ok but they left us 1 bottle of shampoo the first cleaning and every day after we had to call for more. The once loved trails end seemed to close at different times everyday and the 10 locking of the soda machine was always closed by 9...good thing our mugs were free. We rented a golf cart but the transportation out of FW was triple the time it was in 2007. That being said... Of you are looking to have a relaxing vacation FW is pretty good. If your family wants to be on the go go go I would pick AS Music.

We are pretty much on the go. We like to come back, swim, get ready for dinner and then were off again. We usually watch a little t.v. right before bed, but, really we don't spend all day in our room!

GOOFY4DONALD 03-12-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahA (Post 47779689)
We are pretty much on the go. We like to come back, swim, get ready for dinner and then were off again. We usually watch a little t.v. right before bed, but, really we don't spend all day in our room!

The cabins are definitely not the most convenient of resorts. We stayed there in 2007 and loved it.( But then again it was our first time to WDW so they could have stuck us a van down by the river and we would have been happy.) Anyway we decided to try something else in 2009. We stayed at the Poly. Loved the transportation and all the conveniences but just didn't feel like "home". So in 2012 we decided to go back "home". It wasn't very magical. Most of the CMs were beyond fabulous but some were just plain rude. Maybe I just missed the many conveniences of the Poly. During this last trip we made an effort to visit other resorts to 'shop' for our next trip. We fell head over heels in love with The Beach Club and (maybe because of the cost) really discovered an interest in The Swan and Dolphin.

GOOFY4DONALD 03-12-2013 08:30 PM

Also to add...I don't know how old your kids are but there are 2 other cons to FW. First we went with 4 females and 1 bathroom...you picture how the morning went. Also my kidddos loved the freedom of going down to Captin Cook's and refilling their mugs or getting their own food (heck I loved that too). These are things that are not possible at FW.

MyTwoPrincesses 03-12-2013 08:33 PM

I have considered staying at FW Cabins and actually had them booked briefly last fall for a trip I ended up cancelling. At the time, with FD, they were a better deal (slightly) than the AOA suites because even thought he rack rate is higher, the cost of upgrading to regular DDP evened out. I was really torn about them. However, we don't rent a car and would rely on Disney transportation, so the need to either walk really far to get to the bus or transfer from one bus to another bus or boat was a big negative. While I really do like Disney transportation and rely on public transportation at home, I know that transferring can add significantly to commute time. Plus, I prefer having 2 bathrooms if possible. For those reasons, I decided that the value family suite made more sense. Also square footage-wise the value suites are slightly larger. The main pluses of the cabin are the kitchen (but I won't cook "real" meals on vacation so the microwave is sufficient) and the porch. Neither plus was big enough to sway me.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.