The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   booking a resort room vs. booking a package (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3077791)

Disneylover99 03-10-2013 09:11 AM

booking a resort room vs. booking a package
 
Hi everyone,

We are going to Disney for three nights only in October.
We are planning on buying tickets for MNSSHP for one day and we will buy tickets for Epcot for one day only.

If I book three nights at a resort plus add on only one day of park tickets is this considered a package? If that is the case, I have to pay my balance 45 days in advance. Right?

If I just book my 3 nights, I can add a park ticket when I check in and then I can just cancel 5 days in advance (not really clear on this part) if I need to. It seems to me it would be more advantageous to book the room only and add on when I get there.

What do you think? Does this make sense, or am I missing something?
Thanks!

Wood Nymph 03-10-2013 10:06 AM

You can buy the park tickets when you check in. That way you don't have to pay anything ahead of time. That is what we usually do. :)

stitchlovestink 03-10-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneylover99
Hi everyone,

We are going to Disney for three nights only in October.
We are planning on buying tickets for MNSSHP for one day and we will buy tickets for Epcot for one day only.

If I book three nights at a resort plus add on only one day of park tickets is this considered a package? If that is the case, I have to pay my balance 45 days in advance. Right?

If I just book my 3 nights, I can add a park ticket when I check in and then I can just cancel 5 days in advance (not really clear on this part) if I need to. It seems to me it would be more advantageous to book the room only and add on when I get there.

What do you think? Does this make sense, or am I missing something?
Thanks!

No, you are not missing anything!! You are doing it the smartest way IMO! If you don't want the DDP, then there really isn't any advantage to buying your ticket ahead of time. I would do it the way you are... as a room only and then buy my tickets when I get there.
Have a great trip!

Disneylover99 03-10-2013 10:41 AM

Thank you both for your replies.
Now I just have to decide which resort to book!

wdw4rfam 03-10-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink (Post 47754818)
No, you are not missing anything!! You are doing it the smartest way IMO! If you don't want the DDP, then there really isn't any advantage to buying your ticket ahead of time. I would do it the way you are... as a room only and then buy my tickets when I get there.
Have a great trip!

AN advantage is price increase. There is usually a price increase every year. If you put your tickets in a package, and pay it off....you lock in the price. If you wait, the price may go up.

Disneylover99 03-10-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdw4rfam (Post 47755021)
AN advantage is price increase. There is usually a price increase every year. If you put your tickets in a package, and pay it off....you lock in the price. If you wait, the price may go up.

Good point.
Also, I'm not sure what kind of discounts may be offered for October.
Are there typically room only discounts or do most discounts apply only to packages?

mickeynut1 03-10-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdw4rfam (Post 47755021)
AN advantage is price increase. There is usually a price increase every year. If you put your tickets in a package, and pay it off....you lock in the price. If you wait, the price may go up.

There has been talk about the ticket prices increasing as early as April this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneylover99 (Post 47755069)
Are there typically room only discounts or do most discounts apply only to packages?

Sometimes discounts come out that require you to book a package (i.e., free dining, stay/play/dine, etc), but "room only" discounts can usually be applied (pending availability) when you book a package (with the discount applying to the room portion only). So if you book a package and a room discount comes out later for your dates, if there is availability with your resort/room type under that discount, you can have the room portion of your reservation modified to reflect the discount.

Sue M 03-10-2013 11:43 AM

Just curious, as we haven't been to any of the parties, since Princess & Pirates, but do you need park tickets to get in, as well as party tickets?

If you want park ticket without getting package, you can look at Undercover Tourist, they don't have discount for just a 1 day ticket, but you can get the ticket before price increase.

EagleScout 03-10-2013 11:52 AM

For mnsshp, park tix irrelevant- just need separate party tickets. So having a mk not get you in, but on flip side, having only party tickets with no park tickets for day gets you in. For epcot food and wine, just considered a regular epcot day, so if you have ticket for epcot, that is all you need.

Disneylover99 03-10-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickeynut1 (Post 47755425)
There has been talk about the ticket prices increasing as early as April this year.



Sometimes discounts come out that require you to book a package (i.e., free dining, stay/play/dine, etc), but "room only" discounts can usually be applied (pending availability) when you book a package (with the discount applying to the room portion only). So if you book a package and a room discount comes out later for your dates, if there is availability with your resort/room type under that discount, you can have the room portion of your reservation modified to reflect the discount.

Helpful information to know.
Thanks so much!

mickeynut1 03-10-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disneylover99 (Post 47755527)
Helpful information to know.
Thanks so much!

You're welcome.....have fun planning :goodvibes.

Sue M 03-10-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleScout (Post 47755507)
For mnsshp, park tix irrelevant- just need separate party tickets. So having a mk not get you in, but on flip side, having only party tickets with no park tickets for day gets you in. For epcot food and wine, just considered a regular epcot day, so if you have ticket for epcot, that is all you need.

Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember, it's been so long since they had the P&P party. But I did have park tickets because the party ticket would only get us in MK at night and we were there a week so wasn't much difference between a 6 or 7 day park ticket.

snykymom 03-10-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleScout (Post 47755507)
For mnsshp, park tix irrelevant- just need separate party tickets. So having a mk not get you in, but on flip side, having only party tickets with no park tickets for day gets you in. For epcot food and wine, just considered a regular epcot day, so if you have ticket for epcot, that is all you need.

Not quite. A ticket for MNSSHP will not get you into MK until 4 PM at the earliest. If you want to go to a park, including MK, in the morning, you need a park ticket.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue M (Post 47755614)
Thanks for the info. I couldn't remember, it's been so long since they had the P&P party. But I did have park tickets because the party ticket would only get us in MK at night and we were there a week so wasn't much difference between a 6 or 7 day park ticket.

The party ticket will still only get you in at night.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.