The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Promotions and Celebrations--Current Promotion: Limited Time Magic (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=147)
-   -   Cant believe mod was cheaper than value with promo (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3077645)

nanay2jdr 03-09-2013 06:51 PM

Cant believe mod was cheaper than value with promo

I already booked AoA and now found out I save 1300 if I transfer to Port Orleans. Its because of the higher discount of 30% instead of 15%. I guess its worth saving money over visual hotel for 3DD. What do you guys think?

nanay2jdr 03-09-2013 08:01 PM

I am not sure if the savings is worth more than the magical experience well have at AoA resort. Its our first trip and kids are ages 3, 11, & 13. Read threads that its not ideal for first trips. Which resort be more easier for transporation since our preschooler and my son with Aspergers are not so good with waiting.

WizardLarz 03-09-2013 08:25 PM

2 possiblities

1. Stay Port Orleans and Visit AoA. Plus if this is her 1st visit and you Plan to do more in the Future. Doing AoA when she is older and might remember it and apreciate it more will be a better deal. Plus after the New Resort thing wears off, maybe the price will shift to be more in line with the other Values.

2. Do a split stay with just 1 or 2 days at AoA at the End.

nanay2jdr 03-09-2013 08:31 PM

Never thought of those options. Those are better options. Is transportion convenience different from the two?

amandals2007 03-10-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanay2jdr (Post 47752447)
Never thought of those options. Those are better options. Is transportion convenience different from the two?

this last trip (DEC 2012) my parents and i stayed at POFQ and my aunt uncle and cousins stayed at AoA. We always stay at FQ and love the bussing, smallest resort so never a crazy bus ride and when we do share a bus with Riverside we are first on and first off. My family at AoA hated the busing. Long waits cuz the resort is so huge, and also long walks to and from the bus stop. They stayed in Ariel rooms, and no way could they be any closer. I love FQ and would reccommend it to anyone:cool1::cool1::cool1:

Mom2six 03-10-2013 08:50 AM

You'll have a great vacation no matter which resort you stay at!

We haven't stayed at POR yet, but we stayed at POFQ and AoA. We enjoyed both resorts. Both have pros and cons. Our favorite thing abotu POR/POFQ is the boat to DTD. At AoA the theming is so over the top and you really feel immersed in the whole Disney feeling there. It was the first resort we stayed at, and we all loved it. To me, it feels more "Disney" then the POFQ or THV did. However, we also loved our stays at the other resorts - for different reasons. You'll have a great time!

POR definitely is a more subtle type of theming, but it is a lovely resort and does have the boat to DTD. There is also a pool slide for your 11 year old.

If you stay at AoA will it be a standard room or a suite? A suite has more space than the a standard room at POR. However, if it is a standard room vs a standard room - POR will be bigger and have queen size beds rather than the double beds in the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA. The suites (we had a Finding Nemo suite) are great because there is a separate bedroom and two bathrooms! That made it so easy to get ready to go, and to have a few minutes of adult time after the kids were sleeping.

It all really depends what you are looking for in the resort. Does the money matter as much as the theming? Is theming or transportation more important? What kind of room do you prefer? Do you prefer a highly themed pool with splash and play area, or a pool slide? Will you go to DTD and do you have boat fanatic (my son is going through a boat phase).

We did AoA for our first Disney resort (we had stayed at SoG first), and loved it! We want to try out other resorts though, which is why we stayed POFQ last December, and plan onn staying at POR next September.

nanay2jdr 03-10-2013 11:56 AM

Thanks for the clear comparison. We are now leaning towards POR. Transportation and savings outweighs theming, separate rooms and larger space. Thanks for helping us decide.

nanay2jdr 03-11-2013 01:28 AM

Just found a Undercover Tourist Video on Youtube for POR and it seems really nice with great amnenities.

mm1971 03-12-2013 12:13 PM

Save the $$ and use it for other special treats. POR is very nice, has a sit down restaurant and the boat to DTD is very convenient. EPCOT is a few minutes away and the theming is very nice. It is not cartoony like AOA or the values, but you can always go visit the others. Bigger beds and double sinks to make getting out in the morning easier. We usually stay at either POR or POFQ. The kids like FQ better.

We are planning a trip back in August and will be staying at PO. Hoping for a room discount or PIN to be offered. Would be OK with free dining, but the discount would be better since we don't eat all the food.

mm1971 03-29-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nanay2jdr (Post 47751649)
I already booked AoA and now found out I save 1300 if I transfer to Port Orleans. Its because of the higher discount of 30% instead of 15%. I guess its worth saving money over visual hotel for 3DD. What do you guys think?

Did you book a suite at AoA. That could be the difference. If I remember the suite is almost as expensive as a Mod and with the discount structure, that makes sense. I would stay at POFQ. Queen beds, small resort so not too busy, easy buses and bot to DTD. Not even a comparison in our opinion.

bizeemom4 03-29-2013 01:40 PM

I hate POR. The transportation is horrible - so many bus stops and the room decor and pool facilities are so boring. I loved AOA! I would switch to a LM room and stay at AOA.

Texas Crude 03-30-2013 02:46 PM

If you want more theming, get the royal room at POR

Meekogsd 04-07-2013 10:54 AM

mod at 30% off? I thought they were 20%

jpessa 04-07-2013 11:40 AM

You're really not comparing apples to apples. You have a Suite in AoA comparing it to a Standard room at POR. Don't get me wrong, I love POR but will be doing a Standard room at AoA this time for the theming for DD3, Ariel is her favorite. A Standard room at AoA will still be cheaper than a Standard room at POR, even with the discount. Difference will be theming, and double beds at AoA vs. queen beds at POR.
As all PPs said, depends on what you want! But if you think POR will save you money, you're not looking at the same options for both hotels.

siskaren 04-07-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meekogsd (Post 48034111)
mod at 30% off? I thought they were 20%

The OP is referencing the spring discount which is no longer available.