The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   AK Savanna View in July Heat!?! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3076684)

Polynesian27 03-07-2013 08:21 PM

AK Savanna View in July Heat!?!

My wife and I are very close to book AKV for mid July 2013 and we were wondering if the balconies provide enough shade for you to be able to enjoy the animals in the middle of the July heat? Can you really sit out on balcony at 2pm and enjoy yourself? Thanks

minnie mum 03-08-2013 12:52 AM

Depends on which direction your room faces. :confused3 As you'll see from the map, that could be just about any direction depending on which trail you're on and which side of the wing.

chloelovesdisney 03-08-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polynesian27 (Post 47733412)
My wife and I are very close to book AKV for mid July 2013 and we were wondering if the balconies provide enough shade for you to be able to enjoy the animals in the middle of the July heat? Can you really sit out on balcony at 2pm and enjoy yourself? Thanks

I don't know that you can enjoy any balcony in Orlando in July. It is hot, just hang by the pool.

pepe of ohio 03-08-2013 05:08 AM

I'll agree with previous posters.... Balconies are sort of a waste mid summer or in any heat.... I'd rather be at the pool mid day....

I've seen people sitting on their balconies with the slider open for some A/C breeze from the room.... Pet peeve of mine and glad Disney installed the sensor if the slider is open, A/C doesn't work!!

I've also got to say if at AKL, animals won't be out in the extreme heat either, so for me a Savannah view is a waste of money...

Do as you please, but we go to WDW for the heat and waking non park hours are enjoyed at the resort pool!

Polynesian27 03-08-2013 08:19 PM

Thank you for your responses.

RunningWithScissors 03-08-2013 08:37 PM

We didn't stay at AK in July, but we did in October when FL had a record heat wave. It was 98-102 degrees all week. Brutal! Anyway, the animals were roaming all over the place--we had giraffes and zebras and other animals outside our balcony every day all day. We were in the parks most of the day so we didn't have the opportunity to sit on the balcony during the day, but we did in the mornings.

I mean, you know it is going to be sweltering in the summer so if that doesn't bother you, go for it!! You never know how it will be!!

mmmears 03-08-2013 09:11 PM

We've been there in June and late July/early August. There were always animals roaming about. The overhang kept our balcony shady in the afternoon, but it would really depend on which way your room is facing I guess, and maybe what floor you are on. We actually did enjoy the balcony (more around 4pm or so) for long stretches of time, so it couldn't have been all that hot... (My family is not use to the heat and humidity in FL).

kapoof 03-09-2013 10:06 AM

Sure it will be hotter than heck, but it will provide you with a truer African feel.:goodvibes

patsal 03-09-2013 11:17 AM

Since I can only travel in the summer, I have done it many times, it really isn't that bad. The biggest issue we have had is the lens of the camera fogging up because the temp inside is so much lower thant he temp outside!

hpfan100 03-16-2013 02:39 PM

was there last July and animals roamed at all times of day...balcony was a little shaded and you could sit out there for a little while. If you do wear a hat and shades and drink a nice cool beverage when animal watching. You can also open the curtains and close the door and watch from inside the room if it's too hot.