The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC Member Services (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   HELP- I need 84 points for a Disney Cruise & have NO clue what to do! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3075499)

DisneyFanForLive 03-05-2013 06:10 PM

HELP- I need 84 points for a Disney Cruise & have NO clue what to do!
 
Hi everyone,
I am taking my brother who has a severe case of Cerebral Palsy on the Disney Dream Cruise for Christmas, along with my mom who is battling cancer. They both have come to Disney before but at this point, can't handle all the hustle and walking around. Now, I've been on the Magic & and Wonder and KNOW that the cruise is ideal for them. They can relax, do limited things (if necessary), and enjoy all Disney can offer but in a more relaxing way. The only problem is I am down 84 points and Disney won't give me a break despite the fact that my brother can't eat or drink or do most excursions they offer on the ship. So, if I don't get 84 points, I have to pay 935.00 for my brothers spot on the ship. DVC said, I can borrow or buy from another DVC member- is that true? I really don't know what to do, and really could use kind help. I truly need your assistance! :)

Lost sister trying to help with her 480 points ,but needs

intertile 03-05-2013 06:44 PM

Another dvc member that purchased retail or pre-restriction resale can transfer you there points to complete the reservation. The going rate for points though is between $10-$12 per point. Your better off just paying disney, as there isn't much savings the other way.

disneynutz 03-05-2013 07:12 PM

Have you thought about renting out your points and paying cash for the cruise? What do the numbers look like?

:earsboy: Bill

zavandor 03-06-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 47711087)
Have you thought about renting out your points and paying cash for the cruise? What do the numbers look like?

:earsboy: Bill

This.
I rented points with David (the sponsor of the rental board). It took maybe a total of 30 minutes to fill in the form, answer a few emails and make the reservation.
The only "problem" is that you will receive half the money immediately and half when the renter will check in. So if you need to pay the cruise upfront you have to put down some money you'll get back later.

dwight16 03-06-2013 08:37 AM

sounds like a scam sorry! you show up to the site with your first post begging for points. first thing you can buy up to 24 points from disney so that is really only a need for 60 points. maybe move the date from Christmas the most expensive time? just saying live with in your means.....everyone has problems and sob stories....

bumbershoot 03-06-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwight16 (Post 47715214)
...first thing you can buy up to 24 points from disney ....

Can those points be used for cruising though?

Quote:

Originally Posted by intertile (Post 47710809)
The going rate for points though is between $10-$12 per point. Your better off just paying disney, as there isn't much savings the other way.

Yeah, that's not going to save them any money. If that's the cruise I'm thinking of, it's a spendy one! Especially for a 4 day. I would say 935 sounds about right, and renting points from someone (assuming you can rent from someone with direct-purchased points who CAN use them for a cruise) simply isn't going to save much, if any, money.

Shelly F - Ohio 03-06-2013 02:11 PM

I find it hard to believe Disney advised you to buy the points from another DVC member as Disney frowns apon the renting of points.

LisaS 03-06-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyFanForLive (Post 47710461)
So, if I don't get 84 points, I have to pay 935.00 for my brothers spot on the ship. DVC said, I can borrow or buy from another DVC member- is that true? I really don't know what to do, and really could use kind help. I truly need your assistance! :)

Lost sister trying to help with her 480 points ,but needs

Transferring 84 points from another member is going to cost about the same as what Disney quoted you as the cash price for your family members. Also, as a new member of this board it's unlikely you will find someone who will transfer points to you since you have no history here.

Another thing for you to consider is that if for some reason your brother or mother cannot go, the points returned to you would be Reservation points with restrictions on their use. I would pay cash rather than use points in a situation where it's possible that one or more members of the traveling party may need to cancel.

Sammie 03-07-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shelly F - Ohio (Post 47718765)
I find it hard to believe Disney advised you to buy the points from another DVC member as Disney frowns apon the renting of points.

And you can't pay someone for a transfer.

OrangeCountyCommuter 03-07-2013 09:23 AM

I am just curious what the "Lost sister" story is.

Sorry, but this just kind of seems a little strange. First the plea, then no follow up, etc...

If you need 84 points you do a transfer. But we didn't need the entire family life story for that IMHO.

bumbershoot 03-07-2013 12:04 PM

[QUOTE="OrangeCountyCommuter"]I am just curious what the "Lost sister" story is.
/QUOTE]

I figure it's a punctuation and grammar thing. "I'm so lost...my sister is trying to help, but...."

Not an actual lost sister.

Disney Dreams 03-07-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwight16
sounds like a scam sorry! you show up to the site with your first post begging for points. first thing you can buy up to 24 points from disney so that is really only a need for 60 points. maybe move the date from Christmas the most expensive time? just saying live with in your means.....everyone has problems and sob stories....

Wow! A bit harsh, no? The OP didn't ask anyone for points. The OP asked for ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwight16
everyone has problems and sob stories....

And a few kind words or advice from strangers online can sometimes offer comfort or aid.

OP, you have some good suggestions here. I hope you can find a way to make it work. Sending good thoughts and pixie dust to your brother and mother.

- Dreams

crisi 03-07-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disney Dreams (Post 47728914)
Wow! A bit harsh, no? The OP didn't ask anyone for points. The OP asked for ideas.


And a few kind words or advice from strangers online can sometimes offer comfort or aid.

OP, you have some good suggestions here. I hope you can find a way to make it work. Sending good thoughts and pixie dust to your brother and mother.

- Dreams

Con men don't, and this board has had issues before with similar stories turning out to be cons. Not that this is necessarily, but people on these boards should be well aware that everything you read on the Internet is not true, and the Internet is a prime target for fraud. It pays to be cautious.

twinklebug 03-07-2013 03:21 PM

OP, I do believe your first post on the DIS has far too much info, makes it look sketchy. If your family is indeed going through all that I wish you the best and think there are many good suggestions below.

I'd start with moving the date of sail to a less expensive time, and honestly, having had two family members pass away from cancer myself, I'd move it closer. MUCH, MUCH closer.

Disney Dreams 03-07-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crisi

Con men don't, and this board has had issues before with similar stories turning out to be cons. Not that this is necessarily, but people on these boards should be well aware that everything you read on the Internet is not true, and the Internet is a prime target for fraud. It pays to be cautious.

I agree 100%. Cautious is good. Mean is not necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinklebug
...and honestly, having had two family members pass away from cancer myself, I'd move it closer. MUCH, MUCH closer.

- hugs -

- Dreams


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.