The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   POFQ Lobby Refurbisment (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3074983)

johnnyr 03-04-2013 09:19 PM

POFQ Lobby Refurbisment
 
I read on another board that the lobby in POFQ will be undergoing a refurbisment beginning sometime in May. Apparently, the lobby will close and checkin and guest services will take place at the old Bonfamille's Cafe restaurant. Does anyone know if this is true?

sunsetbeachgal 03-04-2013 11:03 PM

Wow...interested int the answer..we are staying there in June and this would be A downer..

Missytara 03-05-2013 07:02 AM

Did you check on the POFQ thread or portorleans.org?

Andre maintains both and keeps in contact with the staff as much as possible.

He would have it on his site if it were true, which he does - he is getting the exact details as they become available.

I would check back on either one for updates. A similar refurbishment was done last year on POR and they handled it wonderfully. I wouldn't let it sour your entire trip.

johnnyr 03-05-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missytara (Post 47703096)
Did you check on the POFQ thread or portorleans.org?



That is where I saw it. There is not a lot of info yet. I was hoping someone here would have additional information. I too have a reservation for this summer. My last 3 stays at a Disney hotel were all during some type of construction. If the POFQ lobby refurb is going to happen through summer 2013, we are going to move to a different resort. I stuck it out the last three times but not this time.

sunsetbeachgal 03-05-2013 08:37 AM

I added this to the POFQ thread so hopefully one of the experts can help up...like you, I hope this is not going to take place during our stay. We just upgraded from POP to POFQ, and although I don't spend much time in the lobby other than check in and check out, but I really dislike construction...:(

aaylasecura 03-05-2013 10:06 AM

I just saw this on portorleans.org.

Is there a number at Disney I can call to get "official" confirmation? Is the Port Orleans French Quarter phone number appropriate? Do you think anyone at the resort would even know what I'm talking about?

Sue M 03-05-2013 11:17 AM

If Andre posted it, I'd take it as a fact. He would never post that if he wasn't 100% sure.
It makes sense as last year POR lobby was refurbed.

The phone numbers posted for resorts aren't really the hotel number, they go thru a call Center. Same operator will answer hello, POFQ or Pop, etc depending on which line is answered.

disnut8 03-05-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunsetbeachgal (Post 47701872)
Wow...interested int the answer..we are staying there in June and this would be A downer..

Why? I don't know many people who frequent the lobby except for check in. Check in would just be in a different place and I highly doubt it would be dumpy.

4HOLIDAYS 04-11-2013 01:56 PM

I just found this= ugh, we are doing 4 nites BC and 3 nites POFQ. My DH will def want to move if its construction, no nice lobby to see, pass thru relax,...

Any idea of how to find out when it starts? We are going Week of May 12th.

Missytara 04-11-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaylasecura (Post 47704491)
I just saw this on portorleans.org.

Is there a number at Disney I can call to get "official" confirmation? Is the Port Orleans French Quarter phone number appropriate? Do you think anyone at the resort would even know what I'm talking about?

Andre keeps in contact with both resorts quite often and has the most up-to-date information.

Also, realize that the POFQ number is actually a call center; they all are. The CM will just answer the phone as if they are in the resort; it is all about the illusion that you are speaking to the resort.

A CM at the Call Center will know less info than Andre does; I would continue to check the site or the thread here as he will have all the up-to-date info.

Missytara 04-11-2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4HOLIDAYS (Post 48076402)
I just found this= ugh, we are doing 4 nites BC and 3 nites POFQ. My DH will def want to move if its construction, no nice lobby to see, pass thru relax,...

Any idea of how to find out when it starts? We are going Week of May 12th.

Again, it will be posted on the thread and Andre's website.

minnie mum 04-11-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4HOLIDAYS (Post 48076402)
I just found this= ugh, we are doing 4 nites BC and 3 nites POFQ. My DH will def want to move if its construction, no nice lobby to see, pass thru relax,...

Any idea of how to find out when it starts? We are going Week of May 12th.

Construction is to commence May 15 and last till sometime in July.
How often do you pass through a Moderate resort's check in area to view it or relax in? They are configured differently than the deluxes. POFQs checkin/ reception area is off to one side from the central lobby area (which does not have much seating and is not intended as a "pull up a seat and relax" area either. ONLY the check in area is being worked on. The central atrium is not being touched. Nor is the courtyard, gift shop or food court.

Check in will be moved to the area formerly used as the TS restaurant (on the opposite side of the lobby) and will undoubtedly be set up very nicely in true Disney style. I can't imagine avoiding a resort just because of something like this. IMHO this is mountains and molehills, folks.

grimley1968 04-11-2013 03:22 PM

We stayed at POFQ for a week and went to the check-in area exactly once, when we checked in. We had no desire or need to go back the rest of our stay there. Whether the check-in area was where it was or on the opposite side of that atrium would have made no difference to us. We passed through the atrium every time we used the buses, but other than that hardly even saw that portion of POFQ. I surely wouldn't let this affect my resort decision. They all need to be updated now and then, and this is about as minor as it gets when considering resort construction.

Missytara 04-11-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grimley1968
We stayed at POFQ for a week and went to the check-in area exactly once, when we checked in. We had no desire or need to go back the rest of our stay there. Whether the check-in area was where it was or on the opposite side of that atrium would have made no difference to us. We passed through the atrium every time we used the buses, but other than that hardly even saw that portion of POFQ. I surely wouldn't let this affect my resort decision. They all need to be updated now and then, and this is about as minor as it gets when considering resort construction.

I agree. A major refurbishment would be different, but a lobby makeover would not effect my entire trip.

4HOLIDAYS 04-11-2013 09:31 PM

I was thinking the atrium area, you go thru from the buses, to the shops...each time. I looked at the layout and see how it is off to the side and smaller than riverside so I am guessing not so much a problem. We are in the lobbies, ground, eateries... of our resorts quite often. we don't do commando stlyeat the parks vacations, so any major construction would bother us.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.