The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Adults only dinner... (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3074833)

ldhr2005 03-04-2013 03:06 PM

Adults only dinner...

Jiko or Narcoosee's???

We know that we will like both styles of food- just curious about what the opinion is on which is the better of the two.

hooch11bear 03-04-2013 03:17 PM

We usually eat at both while in DW. I would choose Jiko over Narcoossee's though. I like the food better there!!

GoMegGo 03-04-2013 03:44 PM

Jiko, hands down.

ldhr2005 03-04-2013 04:58 PM

I love LOVE love Boma...did I say I love it??? So, I KNOW I will love Jiko. I just keep thinking that if we do Jiko, then Boma will almost be a "repeat". Should I just scratch Boma this trip, go for breakfast???

I am changing everything around this trip. Mostly because I think that I am FINALLY going to do V & A too!!!

jwfla422 03-04-2013 05:06 PM

Another Jiko vote, I recall going to Narcoossees and thinking to myself that I liked Jiko better.;)

sleepydog25 03-04-2013 05:12 PM

Jiko. But, if you do V & A, then Jiko will pale in comparison. ;)

CraigInPA 03-05-2013 09:00 AM

My wife and I prefer Narcoossee's.

There are several reasons we do:
1. We stay at the Poly. It's a quick monorail ride there from our hotel. Jiko is a bus ride there, and usually a $20 cab ride back to the Poly (we go in February, and parks close early. Eat late, as we do, and you're paying for a cab).
2. Jiko's room is a big cave. Windows on one wall only, and nothing to see outside but the pool. Narcoossee has the panoramic windows overlooking the 7 seas lagoon, and every seat has a view. Past the lagoon, you can see the MK. If you plan your dining time, you'll also see Wishes and/or the evening light show on the lagoon.
3. Jiko didn't really have authentic African continent food. All of it was "inspired" or had an "inspired" accompaniment to a main course I could get at any number of Disney owned restaurants. Narcoossee's isn't trying to be something it's not, like Jiko seems to be.
4. Almond Crusted Cheesecake at Narcoossee's.
5. Whole fresh Maine Lobster at Narcoossee's.

kanderson89 03-05-2013 09:07 AM

We prefer Jiko for a couple reasons. We just love the atmosphere of AKL and the unique flavors at Jiko and Boma. It's nothing real daring food-wise. In fact, I think Boma has more unusual offerings, but it was quite good. Narcoosee's was fine...the views of the water are nice. But a piece of sauteed fish with some starch and steamed veg...well, I can get that at home. All depends on what you're looking for.

Uncleromulus 03-05-2013 10:35 AM

Jiko by a mile!!

All Narcoossee's has going is a view of the fireworks

Pakey 03-05-2013 11:31 AM

Jiko.

Narcoosees is my least favorite of the Disney signatures.

ldhr2005 03-05-2013 02:40 PM

Thanks for all the replies. The more we thought about it, and about the fact that living in New England getting good lobster is fairly easy for us, we decided that Jiko it is.

Now...what to order???

MomofDisneyLoversx3 03-05-2013 02:50 PM

The duck breast

kanderson89 03-05-2013 03:18 PM

Now...what to order???[/QUOTE]

Well, the menu will have changed by the time you go, but we're always fans of trying something we haven't before or that is really unique...the African breads and dips, the short ribs with a unique sauce. Oh, well, and, yeah, anything with truffle oil. :rotfl2:

jude&jonah 03-07-2013 02:27 AM

Jiko- times a million!!! I've done 8 of the signature restaurants and Jiko is my second favorite (cali grill before it). The flatbreads on the appetizer menu are seriously amazing. I'm also from New England so used to a lot of great cuisine here in Southern CT and have to say the flavors of the flat breads are incredible at Jiko - the way the chef combines tastes and ingredients is out of this world. I'm not even a "pizza" fan.

For my meal- I think their filet is incredible. I order it the "disboards" way by requesting it with the mac and cheese side dish vs. the newer version- if you read reviews on here you can see a lot of people on these boards do this.

Enjoy Jiko! I just love it.