The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Tea for grownups? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3073758)

VAfamily1998 03-02-2013 05:18 PM

Tea for grownups?
 
I'm having a hard time with the official Disney website right now. :(

I know there is a special Disney princess tea party at the Grand Floridian for little girls...but I was wondering if they also have a more "grown up" tea?

I will be going to Disney with my aunt in October... and I emailed her to let her know that if there are any specific ADRs she wants, to let me know asap, as I'd like to book as soon as we are allowed to. She emailed me back with a link to the "My Disney Girl Perfectly Princess tea party" and said "this".:scratchin

I'm not sure if she's kidding or not?:p

Regardless, I think a grown up tea would be a lot of fun for us...so, any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Itinkso 03-02-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfamily1998
I'm having a hard time with the official Disney website right now. :(

I know there is a special Disney princess tea party at the Grand Floridian for little girls...but I was wondering if they also have a more "grown up" tea?

I will be going to Disney with my aunt in October... and I emailed her to let her know that if there are any specific ADRs she wants, to let me know asap, as I'd like to book as soon as we are allowed to. She emailed me back with a link to the "My Disney Girl Perfectly Princess tea party" and said "this".:scratchin

I'm not sure if she's kidding or not?:p

Regardless, I think a grown up tea would be a lot of fun for us...so, any suggestions? Thanks! :)

Yes, there is an Afternoon Tea in the Garden View Tea Room at Grand Floridian. It's very nice and the time we were there, there were only adults in attendance. Here's a link:
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/din...view-tea-room/

TheRustyScupper 03-02-2013 05:30 PM

1) You want the GF Afternoon Tea.
2) Starts at 2:00pm
3) Nice *almost* High Tea.

jedijill 03-02-2013 05:36 PM

Yep, there is an adult tea every afternoon from 2-4:30 at the Garden View Tea Room at the GF. I try to go every trip. Very nice and not too stuffy.

http://allears.net/menu/menu_gft.htm

I find I have to call to make an ADR...online never shows availability.

Jill in CO

VAfamily1998 03-02-2013 06:10 PM

Thanks! Itinkso, when I click on the link, it tells me "page not found"...I'll try again later...from other posts on this board, it seems the Disney official site is giving a lot of people problems?

Thank you everyone!!

Itinkso 03-02-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfamily1998
Thanks! Itinkso, when I click on the link, it tells me "page not found"...I'll try again later...from other posts on this board, it seems the Disney official site is giving a lot of people problems?

Thank you everyone!!

Here's another link to try. This blog includes lots of pics!
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/0...n-view-lounge/

mmmears 03-02-2013 07:17 PM

The afternoon tea at the GF is a very nice tea. You have choices in what you order (and lots of choices in teas). It was mostly adults the few times I went (but my DD was always with me, so there may be kids in there, too). But it is an adult tea, not the kids tea party. Hope you can find a way to book it -- it's a lovely way to relax in the afternoon (and a very pretty room as well).

VAfamily1998 03-02-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itinkso (Post 47678360)
Here's another link to try. This blog includes lots of pics!
http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2012/0...n-view-lounge/

Awesome! Thanks for the link to that blog! It looks like something my aunt (and I!) will REALLY enjoy! :)

VAfamily1998 03-02-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VAfamily1998 (Post 47679305)
Awesome! Thanks for the link to that blog! It looks like something my aunt (and I!) will REALLY enjoy! :)


Ack! When I said that (above) I had only looked at the pics...now that I am reading it more thoroughly, (and the comments) I'm a little worried about the long wait, hurried service, etc. Hmmm....

Itinkso 03-02-2013 08:03 PM

We didn't have a long wait and I don't think our service was hurried at all. The blog writer went during the Christmas Holidays; we were there in early July and the tea room was basically empty. Plus, I went with my two adult daughters - it was our Girls' Trip and we had a lovely time!

bumbershoot 03-02-2013 08:32 PM

We went twice during our Feb trip, and it was absolutely lovely. We weren't rushed, and the only wait we had was a pleasant one in the GF lobby as they prepared our table(s). I went in September 2011, too, and it was just as nice then. The blogger's visit was December 2011, and it's worth remembering that when reading (there have been changes since then).

It's not adult-only, though. But it's not the mega-expensive one geared *towards* children, either. Surely your aunt wants the other one; I'm not even sure you can book the princess one without a child.

They allowed online reservations at one point, and our server said they are trying to get them back, but as far as I know, right now, you have to call for ADRs there. So just call.



FWIW.... The china has changed since the blogger's visit. I asked our server about it (we had the same server each time we visited in Feb) and she said that the company that makes the china in the blogger's pictures could not keep up with their needs, as the tea room has become incredibly popular. And with our scones, both times, we were not given Dickinson's, but jam in a small bowl, and the server said it is homemade. And it definitely tasted like what she said was true. It was absolutely delicious, as was the scone IMO.

We haven't gotten one of the huge meal-type teas; rather, we go a la carte. We recently ordered one cheese plate to split between the 3 of us, then each of us got a dessert, and that was perfect. The server *asked* us how we wanted it brought, unlike in the blog. Each time we've gone, we have spent as much time as we like over our tea, in fact we force ourselves not to rush. The blogger wanted to do that, too, it seems. Of course, if each group does that, it makes the next group of ADRs go later. (knowing this is one of the reasons why I was content to wait in the lobby, where they directed us (I have not seen a waiting area like mentioned in the blog...but then again, we haven't done tea during xmas, either, when I know the lobby is crazy-busy))


I sort of feel like, on a normal day, the tea there is what you make of it. If you're rushing, it will feel rushed. If you deliberately slow yourself down, sit back between bites or sips, and take your time, then it's a relaxing experience. Our first visit this Feb was both; like I said, we had to force ourselves to slow down. Once we did that, what *felt* like a "oh this is different" experience, that wasn't feeling that great or relaxing, changed, and it became quite luxurious in feeling.

jennylyn_b 03-02-2013 08:38 PM

The tea is lovely. We did not have a long wait or rushed service. It is wonderful! I think you and your aunt would have a great time. My husband and I both highly recommend it.

karmacats 03-02-2013 08:51 PM

Funny, my family and I did this tea the same time as the blog reviewer (Dec. 2011) and our experience couldn't have been more opposite. We were seated promptly, had a leisurely tea (about 2 hours), never felt rushed, and our special requests were accomodated with no problem (I got the Grand Tea but with the kids' sandwiches from the Mrs. Potts tea instead of the adult sandwiches; my uncle can't eat black pepper and I guess some of the sandwich fillings have pepper because the chef made him a huge plate of different sandwiches for him to try). Also, we were given platters of pastries rather than being forced to choose two, but that might have been because we were a large group of 7. This was one of our favorite experiences at Disney, and DH and I will be doing it again on our trip in a few weeks. I can't wait! :)

chrisc88 03-02-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karmacats
Funny, my family and I did this tea the same time as the blog reviewer (Dec. 2011) and our experience couldn't have been more opposite. We were seated promptly, had a leisurely tea (about 2 hours), never felt rushed, and our special requests were accomodated with no problem (I got the Grand Tea but with the kids' sandwiches from the Mrs. Potts tea instead of the adult sandwiches; my uncle can't eat black pepper and I guess some of the sandwich fillings have pepper because the chef made him a huge plate of different sandwiches for him to try). Also, we were given platters of pastries rather than being forced to choose two, but that might have been because we were a large group of 7. This was one of our favorite experiences at Disney, and DH and I will be doing it again on our trip in a few weeks. I can't wait! :)

Agreed. We were also there in Dec 2011 and had a wonderful time. Our reservation was right at 2 so we were seated quickly. I took my mom for her 65th bday and she loved it. Not rushed at all. As a matter of fact, when we left I could not believe how long we had been there. Not going this trip but definitely thinking about it for November 2014!,

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

VAfamily1998 03-03-2013 06:37 AM

Well, thank you for all of the encouraging posts about the positive experiences there! :)

I will go ahead and make a reservation as soon as my 180 day window opens up!

We will most likely go on a Friday afternoon...Thanks! :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.