The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   current age breakdown in kid's club? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3072628)

snoopy5386 02-28-2013 02:50 PM

current age breakdown in kid's club?
 
Just got off a carnival cruise with my 2 and 6 year olds and my 2 year old was very unhappy with the fact that she and her sister were not in the same area of the kid's club to the point where she threw a fit every time we tried to take her there. The 2 girls turn 3 and 7 in a month and are 4 yrs and 8 days apart. Planning a disney cruise next and I am wondering if they would be in the same club on the a DCL ship?

lanejudy 02-28-2013 02:54 PM

Sorry your little one had a difficult time. Next year they'll both be in the Club/Lab, but keep in mind that there is a big difference between a 3-yr-old and a 7-yr-old (or 4 and 8, etc.) as far as interest and abilities, and DCL does gear programming somewhat by age even within the Club/Lab.

Nursery = under age 3
Oceaneers Club/Lab = ages 3 - 12 (must be fully potty trained)
Edge = 11-14
Vibe = 14-17

lbgraves 02-28-2013 02:55 PM

They wouldn't have been in the same clubs on DCL either. You are dealing with mostly non PTd 2 yos and PTd kids. CMs in the club are not permitted to change diapers, other than the nursery. The breakdown is that 0-3 and not PTd go to the nursery. PTd 3 yos can go to the club. Basically the club and lab are mixed since open houses in one puts all of the kids for secured programing into the other. So you have kids 3-12 in that group. Kids 11-14 are in the Edge for tweens and 14-17 are in the teen Vibe.

So if your 3 yo is PTd completely independently then she can be in the same club as your older DD.

peachygreen 02-28-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy5386 (Post 47657720)
Just got off a carnival cruise with my 2 and 6 year olds and my 2 year old was very unhappy with the fact that she and her sister were not in the same area of the kid's club to the point where she threw a fit every time we tried to take her there. The 2 girls turn 3 and 7 in a month and are 4 yrs and 8 days apart. Planning a disney cruise next and I am wondering if they would be in the same club on the a DCL ship?

Yes at 3 and 7 they would be in the same club. My girls are almost the exact same again spacing (4 years and 1 month apart) and I agree the youngest was not happy on our last cruise when she was 2 to not get to go to the Oceaneers Club with her big sister.

The Oceaneers Club/Lab is open for kids ages 3-12. The Edge is for 11-14 year old and the Vibe for 14-17 year olds.

PrincessShmoo 02-28-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy5386 (Post 47657720)
Just got off a carnival cruise with my 2 and 6 year olds and my 2 year old was very unhappy with the fact that she and her sister were not in the same area of the kid's club to the point where she threw a fit every time we tried to take her there. The 2 girls turn 3 and 7 in a month and are 4 yrs and 8 days apart. Planning a disney cruise next and I am wondering if they would be in the same club on the a DCL ship?

As PP noted, as long as your 3 year old is fully potty trained, she will be in Oceaneer's Club/Lab with her sister.

FYI, fully potty trained on DCL means able to recognize that she must use toilet, undress, use the toilet, redress, and wash hands without assistance. CMs are not able to assist in any way.

snoopy5386 02-28-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbgraves (Post 47657772)
They wouldn't have been in the same clubs on DCL either. You are dealing with mostly non PTd 2 yos and PTd kids. CMs in the club are not permitted to change diapers, other than the nursery. The breakdown is that 0-3 and not PTd go to the nursery. PTd 3 yos can go to the club. Basically the club and lab are mixed since open houses in one puts all of the kids for secured programing into the other. So you have kids 3-12 in that group. Kids 11-14 are in the Edge for tweens and 14-17 are in the teen Vibe.

So if your 3 yo is PTd completely independently then she can be in the same club as your older DD.

She is completely potty trained (she is miss I can do it myself) and I know they wouldn't have been in the same club at age 2 & 6, but as I said they will turn 3 & 7 in the next month and I am planning for a future cruise.

snoopy5386 02-28-2013 03:03 PM

Thanks for the info. Can someone explain to me the overlap of the oceaneers lab vs the edge for 11-12 year olds? Are they able to go back and forth between these areas or do they have to choose one at the beginning of the cruise?

Do they divide the programming up for the 3-12 year old set? Are kids free to do whichever program they want that is happening in the club/lab? IE the younger one could do stuff with the older one or the older one could do stuff with the younger one?

We are most likely planning a cruise in a few years when they are a little older, but not sure yet. Just want to explore all my options.

PrincessShmoo 02-28-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy5386 (Post 47657847)
Thanks for the info. Can someone explain to me the overlap of the oceaneers lab vs the edge for 11-12 year olds? Are they able to go back and forth between these areas or do they have to choose one at the beginning of the cruise?

Do they divide the programming up for the 3-12 year old set? Are kids free to do whichever program they want that is happening in the club/lab? IE the younger one could do stuff with the older one or the older one could do stuff with the younger one?

We are most likely planning a cruise in a few years when they are a little older, but not sure yet. Just want to explore all my options.

The Club/Lab is separated into (roughly) 2 areas. The Club area has activies aimed for the 3-7 group, and the Lab has activities aimed at the 8-12 group. That being said, the whole area is open to all kids in the the Club/Lab. The CMs will try to direct kids to the appropriate age activities, but any child in there can participate in whatever activities appeal to them, regardless of age.

For the most part, an 11 or 12 year old must select one group and stay with it. They will allow a one time switch from one to the other, but then must stay there. On random cruises, depending on how full the two clubs are, they may allow back and forth privilges, but it's not guaranteed.

Beach Mouse 02-28-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopy5386
Thanks for the info. Can someone explain to me the overlap of the oceaneers lab vs the edge for 11-12 year olds? Are they able to go back and forth between these areas or do they have to choose one at the beginning of the cruise?

Do they divide the programming up for the 3-12 year old set? Are kids free to do whichever program they want that is happening in the club/lab? IE the younger one could do stuff with the older one or the older one could do stuff with the younger one?

We are most likely planning a cruise in a few years when they are a little older, but not sure yet. Just want to explore all my options.

I have only done one DCL. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Between the club and the lab, the kids are allowed to move back and forth between them. The CMs escort them between the two. There were several times that my son had moved to the other one when we came to pick them up. The CM will be able to verify on the computer were they are currently. If they are over 8 years old, you can give your child authorization to check themselves in and out without a parent. This basically gives them free run of the ship. Your decision. I believe this is how you would allow your child to go between the club/lab/edge. You do not have to specify one. They just have to be in the age range.
The club is more of a play structure and roll play activities. The lab has computer games, games, crafts, and organized activities (cooking, building...).

lanejudy 02-28-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach Mouse (Post 47658067)
I believe this is how you would allow your child to go between the club/lab/edge. You do not have to specify one. They just have to be in the age range.

This is not entirely correct. Generally, DCL will require a child in the overlap age (11-12) to choose either the Club/Lab or Edge. They cannot usually utilize both. That said, yes some people report their child was allowed to go back and forth throughout the cruise, but most have reported the need to choose and stick with that choice for the duration of the cruise.

Children 3-12 in the Club/Lab are allowed to move between Club and Lab.

pyramid2000 02-28-2013 04:07 PM

I am not sure how far in the future you are planning, but I wouldn't fully expect things to be exactly how they are today if you are talking a few years. Yes, you have a rough guideline of how they may be, but you never know when changes may occur. Just a thought.

Beach Mouse 02-28-2013 06:12 PM

Lanejudy

Thank you for the clarification.

Melissa S 02-28-2013 06:21 PM

OP my cousin had the same problem on Carnival last year. It was their first cruise. She and her husband brought their two daughters and niece; all preteens. If they were on DCL they would have been in the same club, on Carnival they were in all different clubs. Needless to say the girls were miserable, spent no time in the clubs, and the parents who hoped to get some adult time had to entertain bummed out kids. They have sworn off cruising all together.

bumbershoot 02-28-2013 06:57 PM

Just to be exact, so that I can talk about it to a relative of mine...when they say 3-12 they mean a 12 year old can still be in the Club/Lab? It's inclusive of 12, right? The Club/Lab days actually end (with current rules) the moment a child turns 13?


I know it's not a hard concept, but I've got to get this clear in my head. :)

PrincessShmoo 02-28-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bumbershoot (Post 47660081)
Just to be exact, so that I can talk about it to a relative of mine...when they say 3-12 they mean a 12 year old can still be in the Club/Lab? It's inclusive of 12, right? The Club/Lab days actually end (with current rules) the moment a child turns 13?


I know it's not a hard concept, but I've got to get this clear in my head. :)

A 12 year old can be in either the Lab or in Edge. The ages on either end of each group are the overlaps that DCL has built in for whatever adjustments that parents want to make for what club to put their kids in.

The overlap between the nursery and Club/Lab is age 3. Between Club/Lab and Edge age 11 & 12. Between Edge and Vibe age 14.

So an 11 year old can be in Edge or the Club/Lab, also.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.