The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disneyland (California) (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Paradise Pier VS Disneyland Hotel: walking distance to parks? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3072030)

JessLCH 02-27-2013 12:39 PM

Paradise Pier VS Disneyland Hotel: walking distance to parks?

I am really confused about this. From looking at maps, it looks like PP is much closer to the parks than Disneyland Resort via cutting through the Grand Californian Hotel. Yet I have read many posts staing that PP is a much further walk to parks than DLH. Help?! I am confused. Which hotel is a shorter walk to the parks? Last time we stayed at Grand Californian and was hoping to but this time I am leaning towards one of the less expensive hotels as we want 2 connecting rooms or a suite and GC is just too $$$$$. Thanks!

awdsmama 02-27-2013 12:46 PM

This link gives a good description:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/7280/How_Far_Is_It

Mommy2PrincessAbby 02-27-2013 12:47 PM

Floating around somewhere is a map my run with the distances. It is like 1/10th of a mile shorter from PP thru the Grand... We've stayed at all 3 hotels, and I really really get tired of the walk from DLH thru DTD, and the walk from PP seems so much shorter to me.

melvin1970 02-27-2013 12:52 PM

We just got back from there. We stayed at PPH and the walk wasn't bad. I can't tell you if it is shorter than DLH. It really wasn't bad. Our trip was awesome and the hotel was awesome. The 11th floor has great views.

bumbershoot 02-27-2013 01:06 PM

Both walks are fine. DLH via DTD is annoying *to me* because it's a mall and I don't like malls. I also like straight lines, and DTD has no straight lines, LOL.

But when we were at DLH in october and were in Frontier tower, we actually went out the back of the building, walking towards PPH and then did the DLH cut-through. I used mapmyrun and it's just about the same distance as if we had walked to and through DTD. And it was much more pleasant *for me*.

DLH of course has the added benefit of passing by the monorail, so if it's open and running when you're walking by, and if you're on your way to Tomorrowland or beyond, it can be convenient (though not really during Magic Morning). And if you're in Tomorrowland or nearby when you want to leave the park to go back to the hotel (or Rainforest Cafe or ESPN or the movie theater or Earl of Sandwich), if the monorail is up and running, that is convenient as well. Assuming (both times) that the line isn't heinous.

I realized I made a mistake in memory and typing. The distance walking from DLH's Frontier Tower, whether out the back and via the Grand, or out to DTD and on, is about the same. NOT the distance from Frontier Tower and the distance from PPH

mdsd8700 02-27-2013 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=bumbershoot;47645535]Both walks are fine. QUOTE]

I completely agree. Although a shorter distance is always nicer overall each of the 3 hotels is just fine. We have stayed at all 3 and can't really remember complaining about the extra distance when not at the Grand Californian. When compared to walking from resort to park or anywhere really in WDW this is a piece of cake!

icephoenix25 02-27-2013 06:01 PM

There really is only a minimal distance between the two. Don't let that be something that sways a decision between the two. However, I have heard that pool hopping isn't allowed anymore. Is that true?

mdsd8700 02-27-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icephoenix25 (Post 47648818)
There really is only a minimal distance between the two. Don't let that be something that sways a decision between the two. However, I have heard that pool hopping isn't allowed anymore. Is that true?

Correct no pool hopping. The exception would be if there was a refurbishment of the pool at your hotel.

bumbershoot 02-27-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icephoenix25 (Post 47648818)

My stepmom says pool hopping used to be allowed, but by the time I was planning our first big trip there for 2007 (and I booked in March of that year but had been reading here and at mouseplanet for months before that) it was not allowed. It's been awhile!

DisneyJamieCA 02-27-2013 10:03 PM

I can't answer this question as we've never stayed at PPH, but I did want to give a heads up that none of the onsite hotels will guarantee connecting rooms. They will note it as a request, but it's luck of the draw when you get there.

wallawallakids 02-28-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyJamieCA (Post 47651159)
I can't answer this question as we've never stayed at PPH, but I did want to give a heads up that none of the onsite hotels will guarantee connecting rooms. They will note it as a request, but it's luck of the draw when you get there.

This is true. We usually get a suite because of this. Honestly, I do think it depends on the time of year you visit though. We have gone off season (November) and did decide to do connecting rooms because there was a better chance (in our minds) that we would get them and we did. We are going this August and know it will be much busier so we will not risk it. Booked a 2 bedroom suite at DLH instead.
Walking distance is really a non-issue between the two. I prefer DLH because of the theme, larger room, and the pool. But you really can't go wrong with either. Have a great trip!