The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   FaceTime on board ship (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3071919)

Mageemommy 02-27-2013 10:59 AM

FaceTime on board ship
 
Does anyone know if you can FaceTime (iPad or iPhone) using the ship's wifi package? I just thought this may be cheaper than using cellular service to call back home during the trip. Has anyone done this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you:flower3:

su_A_ve 02-27-2013 11:02 AM

You can purchase expensive wifi access, however it is satellite based and good enough to read email and maybe post in FB.

But NO WAY to do Facetime, or Skype. The maritime cell service is as slow as the ship's wifi (satellite based) and also not capable of any type of streaming service.

You'll have to find an internet cafe when you get to the port and pay for the service (sometimes free with consumption) but even then, it's spotty...

Bottom line, plan on being 'unplugged' during your cruise...

Four Swampers 02-27-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by su_A_ve (Post 47643279)
You can purchase expensive wifi access, however it is satellite based and good enough to read email and maybe post in FB.

But NO WAY to do Facetime, or Skype. The maritime cell service is as slow as the ship's wifi (satellite based) and also not capable of any type of streaming service.

You'll have to find an internet cafe when you get to the port and pay for the service (sometimes free with consumption) but even then, it's spotty...

Bottom line, plan on being 'unplugged' during your cruise...

Yes. You would have better luck with Facetime or Skype if you brought a rotary phone, a 54k dial-up modem, and 500 miles of telephone extension cord.

bigtony777 02-27-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four Swampers (Post 47643314)
Yes. You would have better luck with Facetime or Skype if you brought a rotary phone, a 54k dial-up modem, and 500 miles of telephone extension cord.

Funny stuff!!!:rotfl2:

BCV2003 02-27-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Four Swampers (Post 47643314)
Yes. You would have better luck with Facetime or Skype if you brought a rotary phone, a 54k dial-up modem, and 500 miles of telephone extension cord.

This!

We got engaged on the Dream in October and had 100 minutes of free internet. I wanted to call my family via skype or facetime to let them know and it was painful at best. I did get a hold of my Dad first and after trying everyone else, I gave up and sent an email. I used about 90 ofthe 100 minutes just trying to get an ok connection. Even for sending an email it was poor.

As long as I know what the connection is like I don't mind. I never would have paid for that service nor would I in the future. I'd know I need to go without.

sayhello 02-27-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCV2003 (Post 47643646)
This!

We got engaged on the Dream in October and had 100 minutes of free internet. I wanted to call my family via skype or facetime to let them know and it was painful at best. I did get a hold of my Dad first and after trying everyone else, I gave up and sent an email. I used about 90 ofthe 100 minutes just trying to get an ok connection. Even for sending an email it was poor.

As long as I know what the connection is like I don't mind. I never would have paid for that service nor would I in the future. I'd know I need to go without.

That's interesting. I thought they had Skype blocked.

Sayhello

RosiePA 02-27-2013 01:57 PM

My husband and I were on the Wobder in January. We facetimed with my parents two nights before dinner from the Internet Cafe using our own MacBook I the ship's wifi. The connection wasn't the best, but we were able to talk for about 10 min each time. We already had an Internet package because my husband needed it for school work. I think we paid $75 for 250 min of Internet.

BCV2003 02-27-2013 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello (Post 47645188)
That's interesting. I thought they had Skype blocked.

Sayhello

No, we definitely were able to connect with Skype, it just wasn't a very good connection.

Jestocost 02-27-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCV2003 (Post 47646052)
No, we definitely were able to connect with Skype, it just wasn't a very good connection.

Certain applications are supposed to be blocked; and I thought the VoIP and video over IP applications were on the list. That doesn't mean that the block works all the time, however.

Because of that and the satellite-based Internet connection, you're going to be very lucky to get Skype of Facetime to work on the ship. The biggest problem is not necessarily the bandwidth (although uplink speeds are going to be VERY slow); it's the latency (how long it takes one packet of data to get from your end of the connection to the other end and vice versa). That's because it takes a LONG time for the data to get all the way up into orbit and back down to earth. No way to resolve it until someone figures out how to break the lightspeed barrier, unfortunately.

Your best bet for Skype or Facetime would be to find an Internet cafe or free Internet connection in port and use that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.