The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Cruise or disney first? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3071882)

smbrown28 02-27-2013 09:48 AM

Cruise or disney first?

Looking for advice from those that have done land and sea before. Do you prefer starting with Disney and ending with your cruise, or reverse? I currently have it booked the opposite but have heard it may be more relaxing to end with the cruise. any thoughts???

Justacruiser 02-27-2013 09:52 AM

Definately the parks first. No doubt about it. The family will be built up and ready for the hustle and bustle of the parks and then....... relax on the cruise.

STLDisney_Freak 02-27-2013 10:01 AM

We are doing 3 days at the park and then a 7 day cruise in May. I have told my kids I am going to walk them to death in the parks :lmao:, but once they get on the boat they can chill all they want. :thumbsup2 So for us parks first boat second.

lbgraves 02-27-2013 10:03 AM

We have done both, but definitely prefer going to the parks first. The hussle of the parks is a rude awakening after the calm of the cruise to me. Also quite rude that everyone at the parks expects you to pay for everything you want to eat after a week of not worrying about that. ;)

mbrocker 02-27-2013 10:10 AM

Maybe I'm just sensitive...

After my last few cruises (not DCL) I spent a couple of days trying to lose my sea legs. It was particularly bad after my last cruise - almost 4 days of on and off land legs dizziness. I would hate hate hate to have that happen if I was trying to walk around the parks.:faint:

Heyriddle 02-27-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrown28
Looking for advice from those that have done land and sea before. Do you prefer starting with Disney and ending with your cruise, or reverse? I currently have it booked the opposite but have heard it may be more relaxing to end with the cruise. any thoughts???

Definitely do the parks first. We did both one year and were so thankful we ended with the cruise. It was a nice way to relax and decompress after a week of rushing around.

Heyriddle 02-27-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrocker
After my last few cruises (not DCL) I spent a couple of days trying to lose my sea legs. It was particularly bad after my last cruise - almost 4 days of on and off land legs dizziness. I would hate hate hate to have that happen if I was trying to walk around the parks.:faint:

That's actually a really good point. I usually feel like I'm still rocking for days afterwards. I even continue to take my sea sickness meds. I can't imagine going on a ride feeling like that

WeLoveDisneyAlways 02-27-2013 10:25 AM

I'm the other way I like to go to WDW after the cruise. To me the whole Hype is the cruise I wouldn't want to feel rushed through WDW wishing the cruise would get here already. I also don't like getting off the ship and having to go home. What we did and are doing for our next cruise is spent 1 night before the cruise at a splurge WDW resort somewhere we couldn't justify spending a weeks vacation at. Last time it was BLT this time were thinking AKL. We had a nice character dinner, watched fireworks from our room we were nice and ready for our cruise. After the cruise we spent 4 nights at CSR and did the full Disney experience. It really worked out great can't wait to do it again.

reimero 02-27-2013 10:37 AM

I'm also of the opinion, parks then cruise. The parks tend to leave me tired and feeling like I need a vacation from my vacation. Cruises relax me. I won't go as far as to say I'm "ready" to come back to work, but I'm certainly more energized!

DLW8 02-27-2013 10:39 AM

I definitely prefer the parks before the cruise. I am always exhausted when we leave a park vacation, but when we leave the cruise, I am totally relaxed and refreshed.

darkwing818 02-27-2013 11:44 AM

We are a little bit contrary to the PPs, we do the Parks before & after our cruise. After our 1st Disney cruise, we hit the road straight home (11 hours of drive time :drive:). Trust me after just getting off the ship & then driving straight home for 11 hours is miserable. So 8 cruises later; we pretty much do about 4 days at the parks before boarding the ship & usually 2 or 3 days after, usually at Beach Club villas (great pool & easy access to EPCOT). I suspect if we were flying we'd do the parks first, but if we flew, we couldn't afford tp stay the extra days at the park. :dance3:

MichelleVW 02-27-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbrocker (Post 47642760)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heyriddle (Post 47642876)
That's actually a really good point. I usually feel like I'm still rocking for days afterwards. I even continue to take my sea sickness meds. I can't imagine going on a ride feeling like that

This was me in January. I had the worst case of land legs I have ever had. Going to the parks like that was NOT fun. On our cruise summer 2011 we didn't have time for the parks, but after we got off the ship we checked into Port Orleans French Quarter for the night. Relaxed by the pool and went to DTD, it was a nice way to end the vacation.

manateesmom 02-27-2013 12:52 PM

We'll be doing a few days at WDW after our cruise, but we don't really plan to "do" the parks, if you know what I mean. We don't need to hit everything - we'll book a resort we enjoy, plan to hit a few high points in the parks (new Fantasyland, EPCOT). If we wanted to really see and do it all in the parks, we'd do them first, but since we'll be more laidback with a 3 year old, we'll just do what we can do and try to enjoy. We'll also be going at an off-peak time - I'm not sure I'd want to deal with crowded parks after the cruise.

smbrown28 02-27-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MichelleVW

This was me in January. I had the worst case of land legs I have ever had. Going to the parks like that was NOT fun. On our cruise summer 2011 we didn't have time for the parks, but after we got off the ship we checked into Port Orleans French Quarter for the night. Relaxed by the pool and went to DTD, it was a nice way to end the vacation.

This is a really good point! It's my kids first cruise so I don't know how they will feel. And I agree with the needing a vacation after the vacation. Very good points from everyone. I think park first sound like the way to go.

sunryzez 02-27-2013 05:55 PM

I would say the parks first. the day I get off the ship I am EXHAUSTED!! The thought of doing the parks would be too much. After this last cruise since we went out of Miami we drove 1 hour to west palm beach to vacation there for a few days but that first day we literally didnt leave the hotel room, even ordered a pizza for dinner. Even the kids werent in the mood to do anything!