The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tell me about transfers to MCO (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3071805)

noahsketomom 02-27-2013 05:19 AM

Tell me about transfers to MCO

We've never done the Disney transfer thing to/from the port. I'm looking at it for our return leg because our flight might be early (12:15p).
Can anybody tell me how it works?

1. Am I right that when we leave our bags outside the last night that we don't see them again?

2. What about customs? We've always done that with our bags. Do we do anything different?

3. Do you tip the bus driver?

4. Has anyone done just one leg of transfers and had any problems?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

cwdefouw 02-27-2013 07:16 AM

Basically one of two scenarios are in play here.

1. If you are on a participating airline, you can elect to check in for your flight while on board the ship. The day before disembarkation they will bring your boarding passes to your room and special luggage tags that are different from the normal color tags used when getting off the ship. You put your bags out the night before getting off the ship, with the tags attached. They pick them up and transfer them directly to the airline the next morning. The airline scans the tag and attaches a customary checked-bag tag with all the barcodes for your flights and destination. As such you will not pick them up in the baggage hall the next morning. You will go through customs with your carry on items only. Get on the bus to the airport and that is about it. You already have boarding passes so you can proceed directly to the gate at MCO. This procedure is very convienent. Be aware that they will charge any checked bag fees to your onboard account. If you don't have preassigned seats, they will likely put your party wherever. I would hope that could be fixed at the airport.

2. If you are unable or unwilling to check-in for your flight while on board, you will get the usual colored tags for your luggage. You will pick it up in the baggage hall and go through customs with all of it, you and your luggage will go on the same bus to MCO. You will collect your luggage from the bus driver at the airport and then check-in as usual at the airport.

As far as tipping goes, we usually do tip the driver. They are handling your luggage (in scenario 2) and doing a service job, so we usually tip 3-5 dollars for two people.

We have done both scenarios 1 and 2 in the last 4 months, and both were pretty easy peasy. We have not done a one way transfer, but that should not be an issue for you.

noahsketomom 02-27-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwdefouw (Post 47641814)
Basically one of two scenarios are in play here.

1. If you are on a participating airline, you can elect to check in for your flight while on board the ship. The day before disembarkation they will bring your boarding passes to your room and special luggage tags that are different from the normal color tags used when getting off the ship. You put your bags out the night before getting off the ship, with the tags attached. They pick them up and transfer them directly to the airline the next morning. The airline scans the tag and attaches a customary checked-bag tag with all the barcodes for your flights and destination. As such you will not pick them up in the baggage hall the next morning. You will go through customs with your carry on items only. Get on the bus to the airport and that is about it. You already have boarding passes so you can proceed directly to the gate at MCO. This procedure is very convienent. Be aware that they will charge any checked bag fees to your onboard account. If you don't have preassigned seats, they will likely put your party wherever. I would hope that could be fixed at the airport.

2. If you are unable or unwilling to check-in for your flight while on board, you will get the usual colored tags for your luggage. You will pick it up in the baggage hall and go through customs with all of it, you and your luggage will go on the same bus to MCO. You will collect your luggage from the bus driver at the airport and then check-in as usual at the airport.

As far as tipping goes, we usually do tip the driver. They are handling your luggage (in scenario 2) and doing a service job, so we usually tip 3-5 dollars for two people.

We have done both scenarios 1 and 2 in the last 4 months, and both were pretty easy peasy. We have not done a one way transfer, but that should not be an issue for you.

Thank you for that info!!

We (most likely) will be on a participating airline so the real draw for me is the convenience of being luggage free. We are a family of 6 traveling with 2 extra people, so taking disney transfers never makes financial sense, but in this case it might make life a ton easier on debarkation day.

One more question --SORRY -- do you have to book your airfare through Disney to use this service?

Lisa Lisa 02-27-2013 08:21 AM

No, you do not. You just have to purchase the transfer(s) and be flying on a participating Airline.

clten 02-27-2013 08:31 AM

As the pp said, you do not have to purchase Disney Air, just purchase their transfer and be using a participating airline to qualify for the onboard airline service. But I did want to mention that you do have to register for this service. When you do online check-in, it does ask for your flight information but that is not enough to register for the service. In the documents DCL sends you, there will be a page to register for this service. You give them your flight information for everyone and tell them how many pieces of luggage each person will be checking in. (This is how they determine how many luggage tags to give you and what airline fees to charge.) If you don't pull this out of the booklet, they have extra at the terminal or you can do it once you are sailing at Guest Services.

Yes, we have done one way transfers quite a number of times and used this service with no problems. Very convenient and we find it worth every penny of the transfer price!

gbanshee 02-27-2013 08:46 AM

What are the participating airlines?

ciraulo887 02-27-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbanshee

Beat me to it. That's what I was going to ask.

noahsketomom 02-27-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa (Post 47642307)
No, you do not. You just have to purchase the transfer(s) and be flying on a participating Airline.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clten (Post 47642413)
As the pp said, you do not have to purchase Disney Air, just purchase their transfer and be using a participating airline to qualify for the onboard airline service. But I did want to mention that you do have to register for this service. When you do online check-in, it does ask for your flight information but that is not enough to register for the service. In the documents DCL sends you, there will be a page to register for this service. You give them your flight information for everyone and tell them how many pieces of luggage each person will be checking in. (This is how they determine how many luggage tags to give you and what airline fees to charge.) If you don't pull this out of the booklet, they have extra at the terminal or you can do it once you are sailing at Guest Services.

Yes, we have done one way transfers quite a number of times and used this service with no problems. Very convenient and we find it worth every penny of the transfer price!

AWESOME. :thumbsup2 Thanks for all the info....and for the tip on looking out for that form!
:disrocks: You all make planning so much easier!!!

noahsketomom 02-27-2013 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbanshee (Post 47642572)

Currently(according to the DCL website):
Available to Guests flying out of Orlando International Airport on domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) on AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines and US Airways.

I'm assuming it's subject to change......

cwdefouw 02-27-2013 01:02 PM

Even if you don't fill out the form in the cruise docs to opt in for onboard check-in. The forms are available from Guest Services and your cabin steward will likely leave one in your room to fill out and return to Guest Services. This is a very convienent service. It was so nice not to have to collect bags in the baggage hall in the morning, we just got in line and breezed through customs. Straight onto the bus and then straight to the gate at the airport.