The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Wilderness Lodge Vs. Yacht Club (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3071530)

linkelly 02-26-2013 03:53 PM

Wilderness Lodge Vs. Yacht Club

Hey Disney Lovers!

My family are I are booked for a late August vacation (7 nights) at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, which we stayed at before and really loved.

However, now we can get the Yacht Club for about $200 less total for the vacation. Is it worth switching? I'm worried about the lack of food court and walk to the pool. We love how small wilderness lodge is.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

AliceIn 02-26-2013 04:04 PM

I've never stayed at the WL, but I've heard that it's gorgeous. Having a quick ride over to MK is another nice perk. The YC rooms are larger than the ones you have in the WL, and you've got a short boat ride to DHS and a short walk to Epcot. There isn't a QS in the YC, but you can grab a quick breakfast of muffins/fruit at the Ale and Compass Lounge. There are also QS locations at the Swolphin which is very close.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. For me, the two park convenience and the larger room for $200 less would make YC my choice.

Mousemommy1 02-26-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linkelly (Post 47635865)
Hey Disney Lovers!

My family are I are booked for a late August vacation (7 nights) at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, which we stayed at before and really loved.

However, now we can get the Yacht Club for about $200 less total for the vacation. Is it worth switching? I'm worried about the lack of food court and walk to the pool. We love how small wilderness lodge is.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

We stayed 10 nights at WL in July and it was perfection. :goodvibes

We are staying 10 nights at YC in April, so I'll be able to offer a good comparison after that. :thumbsup2

Wood Nymph 02-26-2013 04:33 PM

We've stayed at both and they are both great. There is no problem with a walk to the pool, it is right there. ;)

The biggest negative of the Yacht Club is a lack of counter service options. The biggest negative of the Wilderness Lodge is the longer bus ride from resort to all parks except MK. Since the Yacht Club is walking distance to Epcot and HS, you only have to take a bus to MK and AK. AK is closer to YC than it is to WL. We spent a lot less time traveling to parks and restaurants when we stayed at an Epcot resort than when we stayed at the WL.

It depends on what kind of vacation you want. They are very different. WL is the place to be if you want to go to MK a lot. YC is the place to be if you love Epcot and plan to spend a lot of time at the pool.

You can't lose with either, so you just have to decide. It isn't easy. ;)

madalex 02-26-2013 04:48 PM

I just came back (on Saturday) from a split stay at WL and YC. It was my first stay at WL and about my 20th at YC.

They are both great resorts. Previous posters have touched on many of the pros and cons. I would happily stay at either resort again in the future.

In your circumstance, I'd stay at YC for two reasons: (a) you would save $200, and (b) you get to try a new resort and decide for yourself which you like better.

Main Street Matilda 02-26-2013 05:07 PM

I've stayed at both and they each have their perks. I happen to like WL because I like the rustic feel of the place. I also liked both the CS and TS restaurant offerings ... however, especially in the summer, the pool is amazing at YC and it is worth staying there just for that benefit. I also liked being able to take a short trip to Epcot to walk around World Showcase or walk around the Boardwalk at night.

roydavid7771 02-26-2013 06:00 PM

Stayed at both and love them both! I'd pick YC. One, it's 200 bucks more in your pocket. Two, YC is in a much better location with walking distance between two parks as well as a plethora of great restaurants too!

mmmears 02-26-2013 06:04 PM

I'd pick the YC because it's usually more expensive not less than the WL (so it's a good opportunity to try something new). Also, it's a great resort with a wonderful pool. And if you like Epcot it's ideal -- you can watch Illuminations then slip out the back exit and be back in your room before most people can even get to the bus stops or the monorail.

pixarmom 02-26-2013 06:30 PM

We've stayed at both and would absolutely choose YC for several reasons:

1) Dining. YC is within walking distance to so many amazing restaurants - everything in the Epcot resort area (YC, BC, BWI, Swan and Dolphin) and all the wonderful World Showcase restaurants in Epcot. As much as we LOVE the Territory Lounge in WL, Crew's Cup at YC is a close second. In any event, Epcot area resorts are just unbeatable for great dining options within walking distance.

True, no food court. But we actually like that. If we need CS, we enjoy BC Marketplace (just 5 minutes or so from the YC lobby.) And for 24-hour counter service and an extensive selection, Picabu at the Dolphin is just 9 minutes from the YC lobby (probably even closer from your YC room if you hop down the stairs and exit closer to the Dolphin!) I'm a huge fan of Picabu for CS - it has the selection of a large CS without all the food court craziness.

2) Location/Proximity to the Parks. The ability to walk to TWO of the four parks is a huge benefit. And there is nothing quite like just walking out the international gateway and back to your room at the end of an evening.

3) Pool. SAB is amazing. Our boys (ages 6, 12 and 13) all enjoy the WL pool, but LOVE SAB.

4) Rooms. YC rooms seem so much bigger and the large windows and open balcony are just more appealing. I prefer the YC decor, too. (Although the new updated WL rooms look much better than the old ones!)

WL wins in the lobby category, and for relaxing transportation to/from MK (love that boat), but I'd say YC wins overall!

MissionMouse 02-26-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by linkelly (Post 47635865)
...However, now we can get the Yacht Club for about $200 less total for the vacation. Is it worth switching? I'm worried about the lack of food court and walk to the pool. We love how small wilderness lodge is. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Well no deluxe has a food court and YC has a superior pool without pool hoppers. We have stayed at both at club level and unless you plan on spending most of your time at MK or you are in love with the WL theme the YC is the best return on your money. An easy 10 minute walk from the YC and you are at Epcot entrance and in the park or you can take the boat. The boat route also goes the other direction to DHS. If you select YC I would recommend considering park hopper ticket options to take advantage of the food offerings in Epcot or see Illuminations.

Kim1964 02-26-2013 09:47 PM

I've stayed at WL twice and YC five times. I prefer YC because the decor is more my taste, and I LOVE being able to walk to Epcot, my favorite park. I agree with previous posters.....give it a shot and save yourselves $200 in the process. The pool is really wonderful and totally worth the walk from any part of the resort. Hurricane Hannah's is right there if you want a quick bite.

bakie21 02-27-2013 07:18 AM

YC is arguably the best hotel on property. The pool the ability to walk to Epcot, DHS, and the Boardwalk. I like WL as well but having stayed at both it is really no contest.

rcraw45425 02-27-2013 07:59 AM

YC rooms are larger, each of our stays the room has had a daybed. Here is a link to a chart with square footage:
http://blog.touringplans.com/2012/02...quare-footage/

mickeynut1 02-27-2013 08:49 AM

We haven't stayed at the YC, but we have stayed at the BC and while we loved the Epcot area and loved being within walking distance to 2 parks, the lack of CS is what has kept us from staying at another Epcot resort. We only do 1 or 2 TS breakfasts during our trips, so having good CS options is important to us (especially for breakfast) as my family likes a hot breakfast every morning (waffles, eggs/bacon, etc). The rooms at the BC/YC are slightly larger than at the WL, but to us the difference wasn't that noticeable. With that said, getting the YC for $200 less than the WL is a great deal. Good luck.

cad300 02-27-2013 09:22 AM

We stayed at both when I was younger. Back then, I probably would have said WL due to the front lobby/dining areas and the boat to MK.

Now, it would be YC hands down. I'm a big walker, and can go to DHS and Epcot. If not, the Boardwalk is right there. Feel like staying in? SAB is the best pool on the property by far.

I'm realizing in Disney, time is money. The fact that you will have so much closer to you, and saving 200 as well! It's a slam dunk.