The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Poly or Wilderness Lodge In November (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3070612)

mklovesdisney 02-24-2013 11:32 PM

Poly or Wilderness Lodge In November

I have a dilemma.. I booked a bounceback for 35% off the Poly late November. Quick background is we are big Poly people an our daughter loves the beach and pool at the Poly, especially that we can watch her in the pool righ in front of us. We just stayed there last month and had a garden ground floor room. We loved it! The problem I am having is all the reviews for the Wilderness Lodge, especially at Christmas. They all are so positive. If we stayed there we would love a ground floor room courtyard view. Would we regret staying there if we are diehard Poly fans or would the Lodge live up-to the reviews especially at Christmas time? So confused. I guess I am just looking for opinions from anyone that stayed at both. Any input would be greatly appreciated. ;) :thumbsup2

Wood Nymph 02-25-2013 12:02 AM

You could always visit the resort if you are concerned about missing the Poly. ;)

spiceycat 02-25-2013 03:31 AM

go try WL - it is cheaper and you might like it.

mickeynut1 02-25-2013 07:54 AM

We've stayed at both and while the Poly is our favorite resort, we do love the WL (especially at Christmas time). I don't think you would be disappointed in the WL as it's a beautiful resort and is convenient to MK (as well as to the CR/monorail).

Tropics 02-25-2013 01:10 PM

We were also just at the Poly last month and will be back at the beginning of December this year because we loved it so much. One thing to keep in mind is that the Poly will be renovated though out this year so by the time you go back at the end of November the rooms at the Poly will be freshly renovated.

grimley1968 02-25-2013 01:45 PM

Besides WL being a great resort of its own, with its boats to MK, great theming, varied dining options, and being less expensive, WL has another thing Poly doesn't have that could be useful for late November: hot tubs. Poly has no hut tub; WL has 2, one that is truly hot and another that is warmer than pool water but not really hot. Besides that, I think WL has a more effective pool heating system (for the main part of the pool) than the Poly. I'm not sure why this is, but water in the Poly pool has always felt chillier to me than the WL pool.

pepe of ohio 02-25-2013 02:23 PM

We have stayed at both but the Poly has outpriced itself a few years ago for us..... Discounts too low and room rates too high. We've moved on ...... And the WL has become our most favorite resort , you will not regret it!

blackacex2 02-25-2013 03:06 PM

Poly is a nicer resort by far than the Wilderness Lodge. That's why it's so much more expensive. In every poll the poly wins for favorite resort in all of Disney year after year. It's simply the best place to stay, basically no compromises when staying there.

Happyjen27 02-25-2013 04:06 PM

I am watching this thread closely!

My first ever WDW trip in December included 9 days at the Poly. I was underwhelmed.

I have been excited about trying WL in December of this year. I've narrowed it down to Contemporary or WL, with WL edging out the CR.

Keep the info flowing Poly and WL fans!!

elaw 02-25-2013 04:11 PM

As nice as the Poly is, it lacks that Christmas vibe when compared to WL.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...p/6034bb5f.jpg
WL

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/...p/5724882c.jpg
WLV

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y11...ly-Tree-02.jpg
The Poly

MissionMouse 02-25-2013 04:32 PM

PR and WL are historically the most popular deluxe resorts during the time period you are going (Christmas Season). What is important is to understand what you like and want from a vacation, since you have no reference to all of the people writing these reviews. Reviews are vague and contain slants that you are not aware of to be any real value; unless there is an issue, like the pool is closed. We have stayed at both during the Christmas season (club level) and there is a real possibility you will miss the PR. We always found it a lot easier to get back to the PR after MVMCP, then WL.

Wood Nymph 02-25-2013 05:20 PM

I agree with the PP. The resort that you choose is very much a personal choice, based on your own likes, dislikes, activities planned, etc. You are going to get lots of opinions here. And you may miss the Poly if you are a Poly lover. ;)

The Wilderness Lodge has smaller rooms, much smaller, than the Poly. And it isn't on the monorail or a quick walk to the TTC, like the Poly is. If in doubt, just come for a visit.

We love the Beach Club and the Epcot resort area, but decided to give the WL a try on our trip early this month. We loved the lodge, the boat ride to MK, the restaurant options, pool and general ambiance of the WL. But to be honest, after all those BC vacations, we had a little bit of an adjustment to this resort. But we are giving the WL another try at Christmas for both the decorations and the fact that the resort is gorgeous. But we will probably end up at the BC again some day. :)

butternut 02-25-2013 08:09 PM

If you really want to be in the holiday spirit,my vote would be for WL. On the other hand i find the rooms in the WL small and dark . Tough choice but i guess it comes down to what you would prefer more.:)

Robbi 02-25-2013 08:49 PM

You can't beat the WL for holiday warmth. We would not stay anywhere else during the holiday season.

GinnerD 02-25-2013 08:54 PM

You could always try a split stay. Do a few days at the WL first and then the remainder of the trip at the Poly. Might be the best of both worlds!