The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   If you play words with friends (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3070598)

Tiggeroo 02-24-2013 09:51 PM

If you play words with friends

How bad would it look if people could see the words you try hoping they are real

meliss8599 02-24-2013 10:15 PM

We all do it.

And a lot of times those words are surprisingly real!

I'm an avid reader and consider myself well-educated yet there are so many words on WWF that I never knew existed!

Just a funny side note, when I first started playing, I was freaked out that I had a stalker on the game. Someone called "zyngawf" was always changing his user name to new numbers thinking I would think it was someone else. I couldn't believe this person kept stalking me to play me! I even told DH how weird I thought it was.

Well........"zynga" is the game's maker and wf is "Words with Friends". Wow, did I feel stupid, but I got a good laugh and so do others who play Words. A lot of them thought the same thing for a while! LOL

tinatark 02-24-2013 10:17 PM

Drives me crazy when people use cheat apps - and I can tell when they do - one of my friends plays words I KNOW she doesn't know!

Jennasis 02-24-2013 10:19 PM

I'm in the middle of a WWF game with a cheater right now. Always starts the same...first few words are so elementary, but once I start pulling ahead suddenly they start playing words fit for an English Phd.

HeatherH 02-24-2013 11:43 PM

Totally agree on the cheat apps! Why play the game if you are going to use an app to play for you? :confused3. And yes, I can tell those who do too. :rolleyes:

I often throw words up to see what sticks...and am often surprised. :lmao:

eduk8r26 02-25-2013 12:26 AM

I play with the same person--we usually have 5 or 6 games going at the same time. She is someone I used to work with, and I can't believe some of the words she comes up with. I keep meaning to write them down in a little notebook so I can try them next time.

dahirsh 02-25-2013 06:24 PM

I play a similar game, Wordsmith, with one person. We have an agreement anytime one of us play a word we don't know, the person who played it have to look it up and share the definition. At least we are learning something as we play.

RhondaL 02-25-2013 06:38 PM

I am enjoying Ruzzle. It counts the "bad" words I am forced to try when time is running out.

Nolcrest 02-25-2013 07:16 PM

I like WWF but you definately know when someone has "help" when they continually use words they never in a million years would ever use in a sentence. That takes all the fun out of the game and I'll never accept a second game from them.

meliss8599 02-25-2013 07:26 PM

Do you really think people are cheating or are they just trying to see what works and get lucky? I've never heard some of the words I've used let alone be able to define them, yet I'm definitely not using a cheater app or dictionary.

Teresa Pitman 02-25-2013 07:41 PM

Yeah, I try random letter combinations and see what works. I also learn from seeing what my opponents put up and try to remember some of those. I didn't know "vav" was a word until somebody used it while playing me, for example, but now I remember it and I've used it since. I do have a list of 2-letter words that I keep handy because they are so useful!

TP

Marionnette 02-25-2013 08:44 PM

My favorite WWF word was 'zarf'. It was one of those times when I was just throwing letters up to see if anything worked and it took! 108 points! My daughter had a fit at the time but she's used it often enough to get back at me.

bdcp 02-25-2013 09:12 PM

I play multiple people and there is one person who I know is cheating. I know her and she is smart, but not that smart lol. She's the only person I have never come close to beating. I have a pretty large vocabulary. I read a lot. But, there's no way she comes up with some of the words she does. Really short words, I believe people guess, but when you start getting 6 and 7 letter words that are very unusual, it probably means they are using a cheat app. One of my favorite words is QI. It's my go to word when I have a Q and no U and can find an I. :rotfl:

LBIJim 02-26-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinatark (Post 47618237)
Drives me crazy when people use cheat apps - and I can tell when they do - one of my friends plays words I KNOW she doesn't know!

That's why I stopped playing. I discovered both my wife and daughter use cheat apps. I suspected it for a while. There's NO WAY some of those words are in anyone's vocabulary.

Jim

Mickey Fliers 02-26-2013 02:45 AM

After my husband played "quamash", I stopped playing with him. Cheater!