The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   DVC-Mousecellaneous (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Maintenance fees (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3070491)

Tdisney 02-24-2013 07:44 PM

Maintenance fees

Can anyone guess as to what the maintenance fees will be near the end of their contract. I am a BCV owner. If we take the history of fee increases to be around 4-5 percent per year, are we looking at around $23 per point in 2042 ?

Seems crazy

nabi 02-24-2013 07:55 PM

Think I saw a thread somewhere that had the forecasted costs for MF's at a 3% growth rate.... from what I recall, getting out in 2042 will be a good thing!

DizBub 02-24-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdisney (Post 47615750)
Can anyone guess as to what the maintenance fees will be near the end of their contract. I am a BCV owner. If we take the history of fee increases to be around 4-5 percent per year, are we looking at around $23 per point in 2042 ?

Seems crazy

Yikes! I hope not but by then it won't be my problem anymore. ;)

Illini Al 02-24-2013 08:05 PM

$23 won't sound like a lot in 2042. Milk will be at $10 per gallon, and the very cheapest cars will run around $35,000. :)

Tdisney 02-24-2013 08:27 PM

there is a huge difference between 3 and 5 percent annually. Almost 10 dollars per point by the end of the contract

chalee94 02-24-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdisney (Post 47615750)
Seems crazy

in 1982, tickets to wdw cost $14 per day. if someone had told you then that tickets in 30 years would go for close to $100, would you assume no one could afford to go in 2012?

the real issue is what inflation looks like overall and what wdw hotel rooms go for in 2040.

it sounds weird and it's worth discussing (as some owners will be on fixed incomes by then), but this is really just an issue of how money works relative to typical inflationary patterns...

disneynutz 02-24-2013 09:55 PM

As time goes on IMO the resorts will require additional maintenance and the dues will really increase. Any idea how much it will cost to re-plumb a resort?

BWV has already had some roof work done. At some point it will be cheaper to build a new resort using newer construction standards than to keep fixing the old building.

:earsboy: Bill

Tdisney 02-24-2013 10:53 PM

That is a good point. At some point when your contract gets closer to the ending date the contract will be worth less and less. I am concerned that at some point maintenance fees will be more then cash reservations and not being able to sell my contract. Also isn't there something in our contract with Disney that puts a max limit on maintenance fee increases ?

Lynne M 02-25-2013 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdisney (Post 47618012)
That is a good point. At some point when your contract gets closer to the ending date the contract will be worth less and less. I am concerned that at some point maintenance fees will be more then cash reservations and not being able to sell my contract. Also isn't there something in our contract with Disney that puts a max limit on maintenance fee increases ?

That cap on MF increases is per year, not for the life of the contract.

MFs are for operational expenses. Housekeeping, landscaping, property taxes,utilities, transportation, etc.

Those are the exact same costs that Disney pays for their non-DVC resorts, so I don't see any reason to assume that the cash reservation rates for comparable rooms would be significantly lower than MFs. That would mean that Disney would eat all of those cost increases for their own resorts, and not pass them on to guests in increased room rates. That the room rates would be less than the operational costs of cleaning the rooms, providing utilities, etc, and not even any profit on top of that. No hotel operator is going to do that.

As far as selling the contract goes, yes, it's going to be worth less and less as the years go buy. That's inevitable in a timeshare with an end date. Most timeshares are worth next to nothing at resale, when I bought DVC I assumed I would get a few bucks, at most, at resale. I wasn't aware that DVC ROFR'd contracts, and that there was sort of a 'floor' for resale prices.

The value of a timeshare is in its use, not in its resale price. I've more than gotten my money's worth out of what I spent on DVC over the years, so even if its resale price were $1, I'd be OK with that.

luckyman_apd 02-25-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disneynutz (Post 47617413)
As time goes on IMO the resorts will require additional maintenance and the dues will really increase. Any idea how much it will cost to re-plumb a resort?

BWV has already had some roof work done. At some point it will be cheaper to build a new resort using newer construction standards than to keep fixing the old building.

What buildings do you know that need full plumbing replacements at 40 years old? My old house was over 80 years old and the only things it "needed" replaced over the years was a roof, windows, and siding. Everything else was cosmetic to the different owners. I'm not saying repairs won't be needed, but I think you are being a bit extreme. After all, the CR was the first resort built, and it is still going strong withou need for major repairs over the years.

CMOORE185 02-25-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyman_apd

What buildings do you know that need full plumbing replacements at 40 years old? My old house was over 80 years old and the only things it "needed" replaced over the years was a roof, windows, and siding. Everything else was cosmetic to the different owners. I'm not saying repairs won't be needed, but I think you are being a bit extreme. After all, the CR was the first resort built, and it is still going strong withou need for major repairs over the years.

Excellent point, but my guess is if CR needed major repairs the cost of a room increase would be spread over all the non DVC resorts.
In the case of DVC if one of the resorts needed major repairs only the owners of that resort would see the increase in MF's. the rest of owners would be unaffected.

Tdisney 02-25-2013 11:09 AM

Lynne, what is yearly cap ? Is it a percent or dollar amount ?

tjkraz 02-25-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

That's that the reserves are for. As of 12/31/12, OKW had over $20 million sitting in the bank for future repairs. BWV was over $35 million. AKV $19 million...each with millions more added every year.

Quote:

"Already"? These resorts aren't roofed with black 30-year Owens Corning shingles. It's all part of maintaining the facilities...and it's been budgeted from Day One.

As for it being cheaper to rebuild than repair...not during the 50 year lifespan of our DVC contracts.

WebmasterDoc 02-25-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tdisney (Post 47621573)
Lynne, what is yearly cap ? Is it a percent or dollar amount ?

I think the annual cap is 15% (not counting Property Taxes). A larger increase would require a vote by the owners - there has never been an increase that large at any DVC Resort.

disneynutz 02-25-2013 12:15 PM

My plumbing post was meant as a "food for thought" example. We don't know what products were used during construction and when they may need to be replaced. Iron pipes tend to get plugged over time and millions of buildings have been re-plumed with copper. Other products have had design failures that have required re-plumbing. Replacing the HVAC systems will be expensive.

Are the reserves enough to cover all expenses?