The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Teachers trick students with fake Disney trip (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068987)

Skywalker 02-22-2013 09:25 AM

Teachers trick students with fake Disney trip
 
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...orld_trip.html

Some Grade 8 teachers tricked some students into thinking they were going on a trip to Disney. Apparently it was to teach a lesson to some students who were snooping.

To me, it is no big deal. These are Grade 8's. I might feel bad it is they were little kids.

Just wondering what everyone thinks?
:coffee:

wiigirl 02-22-2013 09:39 AM

Never joke when it comes to Disney. ;)

sam_gordon 02-22-2013 09:48 AM

So if the students didn't snoop, they wouldn't have been thinking Disney, right? And the teachers are at fault? Sorry, but no. The students brought this on themselves.

PollyannaMom 02-22-2013 09:53 AM

I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the student they were going to Disney, then I consider that part a mean prank.

avgeek81 02-22-2013 09:54 AM

The slide show was alittle much. If it was just that she left the brochure and field trip form it would be alright. I would hope the kids would learn a lesson about snooping and believing rumors. Somehow I don't think thats going to happen when they are blaming the teacher for tricking them and traumatizing them.

kwelch10377 02-22-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam_gordon (Post 47589044)
So if the students didn't snoop, they wouldn't have been thinking Disney, right? And the teachers are at fault? Sorry, but no. The students brought this on themselves.

The article says that there was "a suspicions that a student was snooping around a teacherís desk." They didn't play this prank on just the one student who they thought might be snooping, they did it to the whole class, which I think was a crappy thing to do.

stsomewhere 02-22-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PollyannaMom (Post 47589113)
I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the students they were going to Disney, then it's a very mean prank.

I agree.
The slide presentation was too much.

The Mystery Machine 02-22-2013 10:01 AM

Teacher presented a SLIDE PRESENTATION TO THE CLASS? That is just dumb.:headache:

msjprincess 02-22-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377 (Post 47589136)
The article says that there was "a suspicions that a student was snooping around a teacherís desk." They didn't play this prank on just the one student who they thought might be snooping, they did it to the whole class, which I think was a crappy thing to do.

I agree. It says that both classes were brought into a room to see the slide show.

sam_gordon 02-22-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377 (Post 47589136)
The article says that there was "a suspicions that a student was snooping around a teacherís desk." They didn't play this prank on just the one student who they thought might be snooping, they did it to the whole class, which I think was a crappy thing to do.

I'm guessing the student who snooped told his friends who told their friends, etc, etc.

I'd need to see some more information on the slide presentation to see if it went too far. Did they use pictures & phrases with double meanings, and the students, already thinking "Disney World", thought it just solidified their thoughts, but it actually applied to the bowling(?) trip also?

Again, if the student hadn't snooped, would the kids still have been as "devastated":rolleyes:? If the answer is "no", then the kids are at fault. If the answer is "yes", then the teachers might have gone too far.

DebbieB 02-22-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PollyannaMom (Post 47589113)
I have no problem with leaving the fake materials on the desk to teach snoopers a lesson. The children have no business looking there, and had they behaved, nobody would have been disappointed.

But I'm not sure I understand the slide presentation part. If they actually told all the student they were going to Disney, then I consider that part a mean prank.

I agree, the slideshow and "gotcha!" is going too far. A simple announcement "the rumors of a trip are false" would have been enough.

mickeyboat 02-22-2013 10:16 AM

The slideshow went a little too far IMO, but filming the kids' reactions was way over the line.

But in the end, how were these kids really hurt? So they were disappointed, but they learned a lesson. It's hardly something that would have caused me to be "enraged." I would probably tell my kids that they should not have snooped, and should not have believed information that came to them via snooping.

Granny square 02-22-2013 10:20 AM

I think I saw this on a Brady bunch once...

North of Mouse 02-22-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker (Post 47588789)
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2...orld_trip.html

Some Grade 8 teachers tricked some students into thinking they were going on a trip to Disney. Apparently it was to teach a lesson to some students who were snooping.

To me, it is no big deal. These are Grade 8's. I might feel bad it is they were little kids.

Just wondering what everyone thinks?
:coffee:

So, the *whole* 8th grade gets punished because of suspicions of some snooping? That is WRONG on so many levels. :sad2:

This might have been a huge dream come true for some students that never thought it would have been possible for them to go to Disney otherwise.

I would have been one :furious: parent had that happened to my child.

Children that age can get so excited easily and most would have been trusting their teachers. There are ways to punish the guilty without punishing the 98% (?) that didn't deserve such a underhanded mean thing to do.

I would not blame my child for *not* trusting that teacher again, and this is coming from a mom that *always* got both sides to student/teacher situations. I never took up for my kids *just because*. This really makes my blood boil. :sad2:

StitchesGr8Fan 02-22-2013 10:24 AM

What lesson did they learn? Don't trust teachers? 60 kids were tricked to punish 1 who snooped and probably started a rumor. So the other 59 kids were punished for hearing a rumor?

Those teachers should be fired. It was an abuse of power.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.