The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   VENT: I want to strangle my co-worker! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068543)

jensen 02-21-2013 10:37 AM

VENT: I want to strangle my co-worker!
 
Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?

lynxstch 02-21-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensen (Post 47579234)
But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

WWYD?



I think you better don your flame suit cause those few sentences are going to rile up some Dis'ers.

Maybe she can't find a better job than Walmart, but in our small town, with very few available jobs, a job at Walmart would be better than none at all!




In my opinion..let your co worker get herself in trouble with no help from you!

MIGrandma 02-21-2013 10:44 AM

First of all just because someone's last job was at Wal-Mart doesn't mean they are uneducated.

I would just ignore "smarty pants." She is probably a college graduate with no common sense. ;)

Tink888 02-21-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jensen (Post 47579234)
Please humor me and let me vent for a moment before I ask for some advice. I have this co-worker who is simply awful. I like to call her "smarty pants". She thinks she's the smartest person in the world. But, she's a $10/hour bookkeeper whose last job was at Walmart. So, make your own judgement.

She's frequently ill and mostly on Mondays. She's in a lawsuit with Walmart for a workman's comp case where she fell and injured her back. Recently, she's had to come in late because she's been attending therapy sessions for her carpel tunnel syndrome. Did I mention that she's only 30 years old?

But, the thing that really has me going lately is that she's been on this kick where she thinks she runs the office, always telling people what to do or how to do it. I've had a couple of conversations with our mutual boss about things she's done or said specifically towards me. My current issue is not specifically towards me, so I'm trying to ignore it. But, it's grating on my nerves and I feel like she needs to be put in her place before it goes any further. So, here's where I need advice...

We have a new employee who doesn't wash her hands after using the toilet. Ugh, right? But, I'm inclined to simply wash my hands better and ignore that. Well, "smarty pants" has taken it upon herself to start putting notes around reminding people to have healthy habits. It started with a note on the ladies room door reminding you to wash your hands. Then a note in the break room reminding you to wash the dishes with SOAP AND WATER. Today there was a note on the donuts (brought in by a vendor) to use a napkin to pick up the donuts and not your bare hands.

And in between the appearance of these notes, we are constantly hearing her complain about people being gross and dirty and disgusting.

I'm so tired of it... I'd really rather have the germs than her constant nagging.

WWYD?

Well, I'm a little cranky today so I'd tell her I completely understand her worry about germs seeing as how see's too sick to come to work every Monday and then thank her for reminding us all, multiple times, about the importance of good hygiene, but that she can stop now and focus on her own work because everyone in the office got the message after the third note.

Good luck to you, I couldn't stand working with someone like that day after. day.

Liberty Belle 02-21-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxstch (Post 47579294)
I think you better don your flame suit cause those few sentences are going to rile up some Dis'ers.

Maybe she can't find a better job than Walmart, but in our small town, with very few available jobs, a job at Walmart would be better than none at all!




In my opinion..let your co worker get herself in trouble with no help from you!

Was going to add on to this, but decided just to walk away.

cabanafrau 02-21-2013 10:47 AM

I hope venting here helps get it out of your system. Focus on finding ways to disregard 99.9% of what's bugging you about smarty pants because truthfully the only thing you can control is your reaction. Ignore it & get ear plugs if you need to.

disykat 02-21-2013 10:50 AM

The only one of the things you listed that would bother me would be the know it all attitude. However, I think in the case of the hygiene issues I would just be glad someone is addressing it!

It sounds like she might be obsessive about cleanliness, but you said yourself you've noticed some coworkers are not very hygienic so it's hard to fault her for it.

It's easy to get annoyed with people you have to see all the time that bug the heck out of you, but as others pointed out, it doesn't sound like she'll last long if she's annoying the boss as well!

Debbie7452 02-21-2013 10:52 AM

I would just start throwing the notes away(anonymously) maybe SHE will "get the message".

gjl 02-21-2013 10:54 AM

Removed

lizabu 02-21-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tink888

Well, I'm a little cranky today so I'd tell her I completely understand her worry about germs seeing as how see's too sick to come to work every Monday and then thank her for reminding us all, multiple times, about the importance of good hygiene, but that she can stop now and focus on her own work because everyone in the office got the message after the third note.

Good luck to you, I couldn't stand working with someone like that day after. day.

I like this answer. It has just the right amount of snark and passive-aggressiveness. (That's a compliment)

firecracker725 02-21-2013 10:58 AM

I'm in my early 30s and have carpal tunnel. In fact, I've had it since my mid-twenties. It sounds as if you just don't like this girl.

Pakey 02-21-2013 10:59 AM

I would worry more about your own work and less about her sticky notes. Unless you are a member of the custodial staff, those sticky notes are not interfering with your ability to do your job.

By the way, I'm a CFO with an MBA and those $10/hr bookkeepers can be very intelligent, good employees. As a manager, the one thing I despise more than anything out of my staff is someone who complains about another co-worker. I'm not so far removed from the real world at work that I don't see what goes on and can form my own opionions about the employees who work for me, without the assistance of others on my staff pointing out their co-workers' shortcomings. If she is that annoying, her boss probably already knows it.

Janepod 02-21-2013 11:02 AM

WWYD? Well, seeing how none of this affects me or my work (if I'm a coworker) I wouldn't get involved and I wouldn't let it bother me.

usnuzuloose 02-21-2013 11:04 AM

I would leave it alone, as I am sure your boss's are seeing these notes. I would let them deal with it. Not worth the time to get yourself worked up over it. Just worry about you.

JessB320 02-21-2013 11:26 AM

Throw her notes away and replace them with your own notes about things she does, leave a giant can of Lysol on her desk for her.

Ok I wouldn't leave her notes but I would throw away the snarky ones she leaves in areas I was in. And I probably would drop off a can of Lysol at her desk for her


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.