The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Community Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   how to make sweet tea (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068381)

kacaju 02-21-2013 05:23 AM

how to make sweet tea
 
We live in NJ. My dd17 was in Atlanta GA around Thanksgiving and drank sweet tea and loved it. Just yesterday we were out shopping and she made the comment how she loved the sweet tea she had in GA. So...I am asking how to make it so I can surprise her. Thanks!

mhsjax 02-21-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kacaju (Post 47576179)
We live in NJ. My dd17 was in Atlanta GA around Thanksgiving and drank sweet tea and loved it. Just yesterday we were out shopping and she made the comment how she loved the sweet tea she had in GA. So...I am asking how to make it so I can surprise her. Thanks!


Lets try again, I accidentally deleted my entire post. I use 3 family or 9 regular size tea bags. I simply put them in a small pan of water and heat on the stove. Don't turn it on too high or the tea bags may burst if the water boils. Let the water heat for a while, I just look at it and tell by the color, when it is dark it is done. I pour the tea into a large pitcher and add about 2 cups of sugar. YOu must add the sugar while the tea is hot. I then add water, tea is way too strong to drink like this. It really is a matter of taste as too how strong and sweet you like your tea.

kacaju 02-21-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsjax (Post 47576234)
Really isn't hard. The big thing is you MUST MUST MUST put in the sugar while the tea is hot. Also, I don't know if you ever make tea, and please don't be insulted when I say this, but I have friends that moved from NJ and their idea of tea was to buy a can on instant lipton tea. They couldn't figure out why theirs didn't taste like mine. But tea bags, put in a pan on the stove. I use 3 family bags for a large pitcher, sorry can't remember exactly what size. Anyway, put the pan on medium heat and let get hot and leave it for a few minutes. Don't boil the tea bags could burst. Pour into pitcher and add sugar, and water. The sugar totally depends on how sweet you like it. I add about 2 cups. If the tea isn't hot, the sugar won't dissolve. Anyway, it really is trial and error, it just depends on how strong you like your tea and how sweet you like it.

Also, I see they like to promote Luzianne tea for the south I think, personally, I hate Luzianne and only use Lipton

Thanks..Not insulted at all I am not a tea or coffee drinker...this is why I asked!!

powellrj 02-21-2013 06:03 AM

I like to make syrup and keep in the fridge for when someone wants sweet tea.

ICE TEA SYRUP
3 c. sugar
3 c. water
16 tea bags
Boil sugar and water. Add tea bags and simmer for 15 minutes. Let set for 15 minutes. Take out tea bags. Use 1 cup of syrup to 1 pitcher of water. Store remaining syrup in refrigerator.

mhsjax 02-21-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powellrj (Post 47576349)
I like to make syrup and keep in the fridge for when someone wants sweet tea.

ICE TEA SYRUP
3 c. sugar
3 c. water
16 tea bags
Boil sugar and water. Add tea bags and simmer for 15 minutes. Let set for 15 minutes. Take out tea bags. Use 1 cup of syrup to 1 pitcher of water. Store remaining syrup in refrigerator.

OMG, I have got to drink at least one cup of coffee before tying to read or post, I actually thought you said you like to keep maple syrup in the fridge. YUCK. :rotfl2: Oh my, and YES, that is a great idea. I have actually melted sugar in hot water for someone when all I had was un sweet tea.

I really do need that coffee. lol

Cinderella909 02-21-2013 06:14 AM

Sweet tea is quite simple to make. I make mine a little different the pp. I fill a two quart pan about one third of cold water. Let it come to a boil and then I place 4 tea bags (or 2 family size tea bags) in the boiing water and remove from the stove. Let tea bags simmer about 5 minutes (too long makes the tea bitter). In a large pitcher, I put 2/3 cup of sugar and add the hot tea. Stir till disolved and then fill to the brim with cold water. Keep in the refrigerator.

You'll learn quickly how much sugar to use. It's a staple at this house.

Enjoy! Karen :)

NC State 02-21-2013 06:14 AM

I have a tea brewer but you can use a coffee maker. I use 4 family tea bags. Fill the water unit and let it brew. I do this three times for one gallon. Before Weight Watchers I would use 2 cups of sugar, but we now use 1 1/2 cup of Splenda. Be sure to add sugar to the hot tea so it will melt when mixing. Then please into the frig to chili. I fix one gallon a day for me and my husband. We drink a lot of cold tea.

kacaju 02-21-2013 06:22 AM

This is how little I know about tea...What is a family bag?? I assume just a larger tea bag??

mrsv98 02-21-2013 06:37 AM

I use 9 regular tea bags in a 2C measuring cup, fill with hot water (I have a kettle) and let steep for a good 15 mins. I use 1C of sugar for one gallon of tea but it is really to taste. McDonalds has good sweet tea but it is too much for me so I get a half and half and it is perfect.

I would suggest starting out with 3/4 or 1C of sugar and then going from there. Love my sweet tea!

Shmily1 02-21-2013 06:44 AM

I live in South GA and we just have to have our sweet tea. I make it in the coffee maker-a 4 cup one. I use two family sized tea bags, let it run through just like coffee. Then I pour that in a gallon pitcher with about 1 1/2-2 cups of sugar(depending on how sweet you want it), stir, then fill it up with water. All done and ready for tall glass of ice!

A family sized bag is a larger than a regular one. I use Lipton.

FlightlessDuck 02-21-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhsjax (Post 47576234)
Lets try again, I accidentally deleted my entire post. I use 3 family or 9 regular size tea bags. I simply put them in a small pan of water and heat on the stove. Don't turn it on too high or the tea bags may burst if the water boils. Let the water heat for a while, I just look at it and tell by the color, when it is dark it is done. I pour the tea into a large pitcher and add about 2 cups of sugar. YOu must add the sugar while the tea is hot. I then add water, tea is way too strong to drink like this. It really is a matter of taste as too how strong and sweet you like your tea.

My grandfather used to make sweet tea like this, too. I don't know where he learned it. His parents were Eastern European immigrants and he spent his whole life in NY and PA. But this is exactly how he did it.

Actually I think he stirred in sugar before he poured it in a pitcher.

kacaju 02-21-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shmily1 (Post 47576635)
I live in South GA and we just have to have our sweet tea. I make it in the coffee maker-a 4 cup one. I use two family sized tea bags, let it run through just like coffee. Then I pour that in a gallon pitcher with about 1 1/2-2 cups of sugar(depending on how sweet you want it), stir, then fill it up with water. All done and ready for tall glass of ice!

A family sized bag is a larger than a regular one. I use Lipton.

hmmm....I just happen to have a old 4 cup coffee pot I was going to donate since we have the kerig..dh doesnt use the 4 cup anymore..So I do happen to have *normal size * tea bags...how many of those would you use?

firecracker725 02-21-2013 07:32 AM

I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I use Lipton Cold Brew tea (family size). Four bags per gallon, 1 1/4 c. sugar. Just pour the water straight out of the faucet onto the bags and let them "steep" for about 4 minutes. Add the sugar and stir.

Snoopymom 02-21-2013 08:05 AM

("I didn't mean to call you sweety" Ugh! hate that joke, poor waitresses!)

I had no idea there were so many different ways to make it. :goodvibes

I never make more than a half gallon at a time because stale tea is awful!

Fill a small sauce pan with water
boil or almost boil
add 3/4 to 1 cup of sugar, stir until it desolves
turn the burner off
add 4 regular size tea bags
pull them out after about 3 minutes
pour over ice and a few slices of lemon if I have them
into a 1/2 gallon pitcher
fill the rest up with cold water and stir

I add 1 cup of sugar if we're going to drink it right away because when it's a little warm and you pour it over ice it dilutes some. 3/4 cup if it's going in the fridge for awhile before we drink it.

Katlyn 02-21-2013 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinderella909 (Post 47576412)
Sweet tea is quite simple to make. I make mine a little different the pp. I fill a two quart pan about one third of cold water. Let it come to a boil and then I place 4 tea bags (or 2 family size tea bags) in the boiing water and remove from the stove. Let tea bags simmer about 5 minutes (too long makes the tea bitter). In a large pitcher, I put 2/3 cup of sugar and add the hot tea. Stir till disolved and then fill to the brim with cold water. Keep in the refrigerator.

You'll learn quickly how much sugar to use. It's a staple at this house.

Enjoy! Karen :)

This is the way I make mine too, but use 1 cup sugar in a 2 quart pitcher. I use Tetley Tea bags.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.