The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Who's stubborn like me? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3068201)

cjsm&d 02-20-2013 05:47 PM

Who's stubborn like me?
 
Anyone else make up their minds about a resort at WDW before giving it a chance and later wondering why you took so long to stay there?

For many years I thumbed my nose at staying at CSR and S&D. My DW would mention them but I'd just say that they don't appeal to me and I won't like them.

I remember telling her that CSR looks boring and when we were staying at YC mentioning that I thought that S&D looks out of place among these beautiful EPCOT resorts... well now...

DW finally talked me into trying CSR 3 years ago, and now it's my family's favorite moderate resort! :guilty:

Last trip down i was determined to stay in the EPCOT area. DW priced the nurse's deal at Swan. I really didn't want to do it, but how could I argue with staying outide of EPCOT for HALF the money it would have cost to stay at YC/BC?

Now I would stay there anytime! The restaurants and amenities are great! I'd probably still rather stay at YC, but unless the prices become more equitable, I'm now a S&D fan! :upsidedow

pl4bby 02-20-2013 05:51 PM

Nope I am a deluxe resort snob. I can't go back.

pepe of ohio 02-20-2013 05:52 PM

Nope, have no use for S&D, never stayed there and never will, stayed at CSR once and will never go back, totally detested the resort layout, hugeness and food options!

Magic3forme 02-20-2013 05:59 PM

we stayed at the Dolphin last year while Dh had a conference... we will NEVER stay there again... I was beyond disappointed in the hotel/ pool/ staff/ rooms. I'll stick with DVC. :)

cjsm&d 02-20-2013 06:16 PM

I think the point is being missed. :scratchin
I wasn't asking if people love CSR or S&D. I was asking if people had avoided staying at a resort only to later find it was actually a great resort... :confused3

meggiebeth 02-20-2013 06:24 PM

We booked at SSR because there was a 45% off discount and free dining. I felt like it was one of my last choices- and it wouldn't compare to the Poly, BC, AKL, GF, etc. I insisted to my family that it wasn't in the same league. When we stayed there, we fell in love!!! We actually didn't like the Poly or AKL at all really, they were dark and dreary. We felt that SSR was in the same league as BC- with the exception of location.

We are still put off of the S&D because although we have been inside it, it feels like a normal hotel- not a Disney hotel. Also it doesn't offer free dining which is one of the things we almost insist upon when visiting WDW. I think we may give it a chance someday, although my dream is to stay at the GF. I used to prioritize the Poly over the GF. And I considered switching from SSR to AKL, thinking it would be so much better. I am so glad I didn't actually get us to switch.

I was stubborn when it came to parks too. Before our first trip in 2011, I thought that Epcot would be the best park- my favourite. I thought that MK would be my least favourite- boring and babyish. It turned out that MK was my favourite park by far and Epcot was second to last in my preferences. :)

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

wdw4rfam 02-20-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjsm&d (Post 47572393)
I think the point is being missed. :scratchin
I wasn't asking if people love CSR or S&D. I was asking if people had avoided staying at a resort only to later find it was actually a great resort... :confused3

did that with POR. Said it just didn't appeal to me. Well when yougest turned 3, we became a fam of 5. So we gave it a try and loved it. We had some major bus issues, but are going back because over all it was a wonderful resort. Can't say I wouldn't go deluxe, just cant bring myself to pay those prices. I'd rather stay 11 days at POR.

SarahKate 02-20-2013 06:58 PM

I did the same thing with POR. Thought it looked boring and not flashy like we were used to at the values. But a few friends really liked POR and we looked at it more closely. We have since stayed there twice and will never, ever go back to the values. I'd like to think I'd be open to trying another Mod but it would be hard because we love POR so much.

cjsm&d 02-20-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahKate (Post 47572799)
I did the same thing with POR. Thought it looked boring and not flashy like we were used to at the values. But a few friends really liked POR and we looked at it more closely. We have since stayed there twice and will never, ever go back to the values. I'd like to think I'd be open to trying another Mod but it would be hard because we love POR so much.

It's funny you say this because many years ago when we first stayed at Port Orleans (POFQ) I wasn't impressed with Dixie Landings (POR now) at all.

We now like POR more than POFQ (Though we like POFQ too), especially since there is no sit down restaurant at POFQ. We used to love Bon Famille and were extremely disappointed when they decided to close it and use the room for DVC stuff. :(

SolitaryPhoenix 02-20-2013 08:38 PM

At this point, the only resorts I've formed that kind of "heck, no, I won't stay there" are the All Stars and CBR. I don't really know why. :confused3 At this point, I don't really see any reason why that would change, so it probably won't. ;) I would stay - and would like to stay - at any of the others that I haven't stayed in, at least once to check it out (AoA, FW Cabins, Poly, BW, Y&BC, SSR, Contemporary, GF). I don't know that I'd consider Swan and Dolphin in this, but I've stayed at the Swan, and while it was lovely, I really have no burning desire to go back again or stay at the Dolphin.

bennifer 02-20-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wdw4rfam

did that with POR. Said it just didn't appeal to me. Well when yougest turned 3, we became a fam of 5. So we gave it a try and loved it. We had some major bus issues, but are going back because over all it was a wonderful resort. Can't say I wouldn't go deluxe, just cant bring myself to pay those prices. I'd rather stay 11 days at POR.

I'm still doing that with POR! I really don't know why I'm digging my heels in, I know so many people that love it. Maybe because I was disappointed in CBR (we usually stay at CSR).

nessz79 02-20-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjsm&d (Post 47572393)
I think the point is being missed. :scratchin
I wasn't asking if people love CSR or S&D. I was asking if people had avoided staying at a resort only to later find it was actually a great resort... :confused3

I was thinking the same thing when I read some of the responses! :lmao:

Anyway, yes! And we love S/D!

mad madam mim78 02-20-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjsm&d (Post 47572393)
I think the point is being missed. :scratchin
I wasn't asking if people love CSR or S&D. I was asking if people had avoided staying at a resort only to later find it was actually a great resort... :confused3

Haha. I was thinking the same thing.

mmmears 02-20-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjsm&d (Post 47572393)
I think the point is being missed. :scratchin
I wasn't asking if people love CSR or S&D. I was asking if people had avoided staying at a resort only to later find it was actually a great resort... :confused3

Yes. We didn't want to try AKL because it was so far away from the parks. And we just didn't "get" why people were ooohing and aaaahing about it. Then we visited for dinner... and fell in love with it. Now no trip to WDW is complete without at least a few days at AKL -- my family just loves it there. :cloud9: We were totally wrong. :rotfl:

KatMark 02-20-2013 09:54 PM

There are several we have never stayed at and I still have no intention of doing it -- Grand Floridian (too stuffy) and the Wilderness Lodge (bad experiences when visiting). I highly doubt I would ever change my mind about those two.

I also said we would never stay at the Boardwalk or any other moderate than the Coronado. Well, we are staying at the Boardwalk Villas in December and if we stop for two nights in April on my husband's business trip, we will probably stay at a moderate other than CSR (we will stay at Port Orleans Riverside). I too said I'd never stay at the Swan/Dolphin and actually looked into it for our December trip this year. But I was able to get the BWV cheaper than what the Dolphin was quoting me at. Some day we will stay at the Dolphin for a short trip.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.