The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Restaurants (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   African Food (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3067792)

fuzzlekins 02-20-2013 12:41 AM

African Food
 
IF we stay at AKL next time around, I'm thinking of doing a breakfast at Boma and dinners at Jiko and Sanaa (for the view). If we're not familiar with African cuisine and we don't like curry or spicy food, are we likely to enjoy any or all of these restaurants? I'm having trouble judging by the menus. Also, what is a good time of day to eat at Sanaa and see some animals?

Thanks!

meetmeatthepoly 02-20-2013 05:12 AM

I love the restaurants at AKL. Many dishes at Jiko are not heavy on curry or spice. Just ask your server to help guide you. You'll easily find something at Boma to suit all tastes. I had the scallops at Sanaa and they were delightful. Again, ask your server for recommendations. We had a 5 p.m. reservation at Sanaa and saw lots of animals outside. As long as you make your reservation before dark, you'll be able to see them. Enjoy!

fuzzlekins 02-20-2013 07:49 AM

Thanks! Debating between AKL and Wilderness Lodge if we splurge on the resort. Anyone want to weigh in on which is better and why?

sleepydog25 02-20-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzlekins (Post 47565083)
Thanks! Debating between AKL and Wilderness Lodge if we splurge on the resort. Anyone want to weigh in on which is better and why?

In terms of foods for your tastes, you wouldn't have to worry over curries and other spices at WL eateries. In terms of accessibility to parks, WL wins again. You can boat to MK or to CR and take the monorail from there, and we've never had any issues with buses at WL, either. The theming at both is wonderful, so that's a draw. However, if you look at my signature, you will see that I am a little bit biased. ;)

fuzzlekins 02-20-2013 08:19 AM

Do the WL buses share with Ft. Wilderness? Haven't decided yet whether we'll be driving or flying (that's a whole other can of worms) for the next trip, but in the event we fly, I need to consider transportation as well.

ccgirl 02-20-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzlekins (Post 47563710)
IF we stay at AKL next time around, I'm thinking of doing a breakfast at Boma and dinners at Jiko and Sanaa (for the view). If we're not familiar with African cuisine and we don't like curry or spicy food, are we likely to enjoy any or all of these restaurants? I'm having trouble judging by the menus. Also, what is a good time of day to eat at Sanaa and see some animals?

Thanks!

Bolded mine. Personally, I would stay away from Sanaa then. We are the same taste wise and did not care for it at all. Boma, however, was a totally different story. Absolutely LOVED it!!! We have not tried Jiko yet.

sleepydog25 02-20-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzlekins (Post 47565385)
Do the WL buses share with Ft. Wilderness? Haven't decided yet whether we'll be driving or flying (that's a whole other can of worms) for the next trip, but in the event we fly, I need to consider transportation as well.

For the most part, no. I believe the DTD bus and the water parks buses make a stop FW, but in most cases, WL has dedicated buses unless they've changed recently. At AKL, you are totally dependent on buses; at least at WL you have buses and boats. If you plan to spend a fair amount of time in MK, then WL definitely is the better choice. As for the food, though there is a fair amount of African flair in the cuisine at AKL, certainly there are dishes which aren't spicy. I'm certain you could find dishes at all their restaurants that would appeal to you and your family.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.