The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Resort room oops (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3067591)

crayon3448 02-19-2013 04:40 PM

Resort room oops
 
We are going to Disney March 1st. Usually my grandparents don't come to see us there (they live about 2 hours away) but since it will be DD's first trip a few weeks ago they decided to come. I told them they should come down and go swimming then stay the night since we have 2 queen beds in the room, then watch DD that way DH and I can have a night alone at the parks. Perfect!

...Except that I just now realized we don't have 2 queen beds, but 2 double beds. Originally we had planned on staying at POR but when we booked months ago we switched to POP to save the extra $200 and I forgot that we went down to double beds. Both my grandparents can't sleep in a double bed together. DD is in a PnP so she's not an issue.

Since we leave in 10 days, I would think it is too late to change the reservation to a moderate resort, if there are rooms available, right? Would we have to pay a fee? We could see about getting them their own room for the night at POP, which would be $110, but for the cost I would rather just stay in a moderate resort the whole trip.

Another option would be Grandma and I could share one bed, Grandpa would get the other and DH would have a cot but I don't think Disney offers cots (is that right?). They could bring an air mattress, but DH has arthritis so that would be really rough for him to sleep on.

Any advice on which option seems best? Or anything I may have overlooked? Thanks!

Dis703 02-19-2013 04:49 PM

If there is availability you can still switch without a fee. The fee is only if you downgrade, but if you are moving up to a mod that would be fine.

jasonsk287 02-19-2013 04:55 PM

There's a $50 fee if the package price decreases; but with a moderate resort the price will most likely increase so there wouldn't be any fee. Of course it all depends on availability of the resort you want to move to.

tiger4me2 02-19-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crayon3448 (Post 47559553)
We are going to Disney March 1st. Usually my grandparents don't come to see us there (they live about 2 hours away) but since it will be DD's first trip a few weeks ago they decided to come. I told them they should come down and go swimming then stay the night since we have 2 queen beds in the room, then watch DD that way DH and I can have a night alone at the parks. Perfect!

...Except that I just now realized we don't have 2 queen beds, but 2 double beds. Originally we had planned on staying at POR but when we booked months ago we switched to POP to save the extra $200 and I forgot that we went down to double beds. Both my grandparents can't sleep in a double bed together. DD is in a PnP so she's not an issue.

Since we leave in 10 days, I would think it is too late to change the reservation to a moderate resort, if there are rooms available, right? Would we have to pay a fee? We could see about getting them their own room for the night at POP, which would be $110, but for the cost I would rather just stay in a moderate resort the whole trip.

Another option would be Grandma and I could share one bed, Grandpa would get the other and DH would have a cot but I don't think Disney offers cots (is that right?). They could bring an air mattress, but DH has arthritis so that would be really rough for him to sleep on.

Any advice on which option seems best? Or anything I may have overlooked? Thanks!

As the pp said as long as it goes up in price no fee. Sometimes it is only $50 & a $15 fee. I did this two years ago and drop a day, I got a refund minus $65 in fees. I was already there when I drop the day and it was a package. Just call & ask if they have then they will do it for you :goodvibes

robinb 02-19-2013 04:57 PM

You would rather pay twice as much to squash into one room than booking an extra room for your grandparents? That doesn't make sense to me.

crayon3448 02-19-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinb (Post 47559722)
You would rather pay twice as much to squash into one room than booking an extra room for your grandparents? That doesn't make sense to me.


They are only staying one night and would be in our room to watch DD anyway. It is $200 more to stay at a mod for 6 days and $110 for one night at POP.

mickeynut1 02-19-2013 05:24 PM

You can switch to POR as long as there is availability. As others have said, since the total cost would be increasing, you shouldn't be charged the $50 change fee; you will, however, be charged a $15 fee as any changes made 14 days or less from arrival incurs this fee, regardless of what it does to the total cost. If changing to POR is only $200 more for the whole 6 days, I would do that over paying $110 for one night at Pop. If you booked with a discount and the discount has since expired, you will have to talk to someone in guest services to check availability and make the change as regular reservation CMs don't have access to expired promos. Good luck :wizard:.

Tinkerpeas hubby 02-19-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robinb
You would rather pay twice as much to squash into one room than booking an extra room for your grandparents? That doesn't make sense to me.

They are looking at changing for the whole trip, the grand parents will only stay one night and the cost for that 1 night is only 90 less then them upgrading for the whole trip!

Since they would be out most the evening anyways I think it's a perfect solution for 1 night stay.

SarahKate 02-19-2013 07:55 PM

A few years ago when we stayed at Pop, we had planned on our cousin to come visit us. She lived in Orlando at the time. We thought that she might want to stay a night with us n our room. So I called the resort directly and explained the situation. The CM said it wasn't a big deal and we could just pay an extra fee for her, and I think it was just $15 or so. It was very inexpensive. And they were going to give her a parking pass as well. DH and I have slept together in the doubles with no problem, so I think you could have the 4 in your room and your little one wouldn't count so long as she's under 3.

taylor3297 02-19-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SarahKate (Post 47561545)
A few years ago when we stayed at Pop, we had planned on our cousin to come visit us. She lived in Orlando at the time. We thought that she might want to stay a night with us n our room. So I called the resort directly and explained the situation. The CM said it wasn't a big deal and we could just pay an extra fee for her, and I think it was just $15 or so. It was very inexpensive. And they were going to give her a parking pass as well. DH and I have slept together in the doubles with no problem, so I think you could have the 4 in your room and your little one wouldn't count so long as she's under 3.

Depending on the resort, there is a $15-$25 fee for extra adults in the room.

ChristineOH 02-19-2013 08:25 PM

I would call and check availability before you over think it. POR is sold out of the spring discount for some dates. It might not be available for only $200 more.

shan136 02-19-2013 10:53 PM

I'm a little confused...Is it less expensive to book a room at POP for your grandparents for one night or to switch to POR for your entire stay?

Another option might be for your husband to sleep on an air mattress for one night, your GM to sleep with you and your GF to sleep on in his own bed (I'm assuming your child is in a pack n play?)

Also, the value rooms are very snug so an air mattress will be a very tight fit...

Missytara 02-20-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor3297 (Post 47561667)
Depending on the resort, there is a $15-$25 fee for extra adults in the room.

I have had friends stay with me for one night a few times at POR and they have never charged me for the one night; I have only seen them charge if they stay for at least half the trip or the entire trip.

Even for one night, the cost would still be good for them to get up to a moderate from a value.

taylor3297 02-20-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missytara (Post 47565434)
I have had friends stay with me for one night a few times at POR and they have never charged me for the one night; I have only seen them charge if they stay for at least half the trip or the entire trip.

Even for one night, the cost would still be good for them to get up to a moderate from a value.

I think it depends if you officially put the extra people on the room reservation.

Also, I agree with you. The moderate would be an overall better deal.

Missytara 02-20-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shan136 (Post 47563325)
I'm a little confused...Is it less expensive to book a room at POP for your grandparents for one night or to switch to POR for your entire stay?

Another option might be for your husband to sleep on an air mattress for one night, your GM to sleep with you and your GF to sleep on in his own bed (I'm assuming your child is in a pack n play?)

Also, the value rooms are very snug so an air mattress will be a very tight fit...

You have to look at it from her perspective; it is $110.00 to book a room for one night for her parents.

For only $200.00, they can upgrade to a moderate for the entire week and have enough room (plus guaranteed queen sized beds). For an extra $90.00, they can move up to a nicer resort and larger room.

She also specifically stated her husband would not be able to sleep on an air mattress due to arthritis - for the extra $90.00, it is worthwhile to her to accommodate everyone and have a much more pleasant week.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.