The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looks like my family's November vacation is ruined (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066890)

akayf 02-18-2013 02:55 PM

Looks like my family's November vacation is ruined

We have been planning on going in Nov 2013 for over 2 years. We wanted go go when our younger one was 2. I'm a teacher and we always get the first week off in November. We booked our 5 night stay a few weeks ago and just put down the 200 deposit. We purposely picked a Sunday-Friday stay since we knew the following weekend would be busy(there is a marathon on saturday, it's the last weekend of Food and Wine, plus it's Veterans' day weekend)

My school district's super just released the proposed school calender. They want to take away that week in November and give us the entire week of Thanksgiving. Yes we could just switch our vacation to thanksgiving...but isn't it going to be super crowded that week? And more expensive? Plus we would miss Food and Wine.

Our choices are limited because I'm a teacher and just can't take a week off of work. We can rebook for this July or August. However, we don't want to go when it's that hot and crowded with 2 little ones. DH and I did an August trip once and said never again. My kids could barely handle the heat and humidity at Hershey park in this past August....how would they survive August in Florida?!!? Plus, 180 window has been open for all of July and most of aug already and it's going to hard to get the ADRs I want. And the room type we want might not be available or might wind up costing more.

We can't go Christmas week since DH can't take off that week(and I do not want to face those crowds!). And then we face the same crowd issue in April 2014 for Easter.

I am just so so disappointed. We have been planning on going during fall break in 2013 for over 2 years. I hope the board does not approve this calender.

rachel09985 02-18-2013 02:57 PM

Hopefully they change it for your sake. I was there the weekend after Thanksgiving and it actually wasn't too bad!

WDSearcher 02-18-2013 02:59 PM

Honestly? I'd rebook for Thanksgiving.

You'll miss F&W, but you'll get the holiday decorations and a special Thanksgiving memory. Lots of fun Thanksgiving meals in the World during that time.

It won't be "super crowded" (not as bad as Christmas or summer), but it will be more crowded than it would have been earlier in the month. But of the choices you've listed, it will be the week with the least crowds. And the weather is usually lovely.

You'll have to plan a little differently, but you'll get holiday perks as the trade-off.

:earsboy:

Lynn57 02-18-2013 03:01 PM

Fellow teacher here. That really stinks! It's great to get the amount of time off that we do, but there is NO flexibility in our schedules and end up in WDW during the craziest times.

I would contact your superintendent and the school board. Tell them that you are aware of the proposed plan and already have vacation plans for that week. A lot of schools in my area are having to use vacation weeks to make up for all of the snow days we've had this year (Sandy and the Blizzard knocked us down!). If you can show that you have already booked a vacation, districts are allowing you to go and not be docked in pay. Show them your reservation confirmations so they know you aren't pulling their leg.

Good luck!

Pembo 02-18-2013 03:03 PM

We were there Thanksgiving week a few years back. It was crowded but not like summer. I'd switch to that week. Crowds will be lighter before T-day.

PinkBudgie 02-18-2013 03:06 PM

How disappointing. DH and I are both teachers and we originally wanted to go in November. But the more we thought about it, the more we realized it was just too hard to take that time off. And we would have to take a shorter trip. So we just resigned ourselves to June. Not the time we wanted, but at least we know we can take two weeks and not miss anything. Now I'm just waiting to see when DH gets out in June of 2014. His school year lasts in to June further than mine and I'd like to go as early in June as possible.

I hope you find out one way or another soon. :)

mm1971 02-18-2013 03:07 PM

I would rebook for Thanksgiving week if the schedule changes. It's not too busy that I would not take a vacation and less busy than Christmas, February or April breaks. You miss F &W, but still get the Christmas party if you wish and the weather is still usually pretty nice.

Aliceacc 02-18-2013 03:09 PM

Another teacher here.

Are you sure you don't want to re-think summer? We LOVE going in August. It's the only time of year we go.

It makes those afternoon breaks so much easier. They're good for us as a family, and all I have to say is "Who wants to hit the pool?" and they're good to go. Disney is a lot of things, but it's not Hershey park. There are lots of places to go to beat the heat.

As someone else said, lots of teachers here are losing vacation days, due to the 1-2 punch of Sandy and last week's blizzard.

stargazertechie 02-18-2013 03:10 PM

Thanksgiving is crowded, but not supremely terrible. As long as you avoid MK on Thanksgiving day, you'll be good to go.

Just playing with the dates, I looked at a room at ASMU for those dates. It looks like it would be approximately $44/night more expensive for the room-only.

It's not "peak" dining season for the dining plan, so you wouldn't get an upcharge if you go DDP. If you're paying OOP for meals, expect an upcharge at the fixed-price (buffet and family style) meals.

If you extend all the way through the weekend you can enjoy the Candlelight Processional and some of the Epcot holiday storytellers as well.

Which resort are you looking at?

mcraige 02-18-2013 03:11 PM

We went Thanksgiving week 2010 and 2012 (Sat before thru Wed) and crowds were manageable each time. Having a touring plan helped.

JennyDrake 02-18-2013 03:14 PM

I understand your disappointed, but how can your vacation be "ruined" if you don't even know that the calendar is in effect? (Am I missing something?) I will agree with what others have said, swicth to Thankssgiving week--LOTS of good things going on then!

larryz 02-18-2013 03:23 PM

Any way you could get a sub to stand in for you that week? Would it be worth it?

growinupdisney 02-18-2013 03:29 PM

Former teacher here...I would get a sub if you can but if thats not possible go Thanksgiving we have been this time of year and love it. Christmas decorations will be up it will beautiful. We are forced to go during Easter now because of school schedule and the crowds during Thansgiving are no where near like they are at Easter, but we still have a wonderful time and get all the things we want to do done.

disneynanacat 02-18-2013 03:33 PM

We went for TG a few years ago and it wasn't busy at all. Against the touring advice we went to MK on TG day expecting to have to leave due to crowds. There were no crowds. We ended up staying all day and that's unusual for us. We even cancelled our TG dinner ADR and ate TG dinner at CHH. We had a blast! Perfect weather too. Besides, I doubt your little ones would get into F&W...

d1gitman 02-18-2013 03:47 PM

I'd rebook for Thanksgiving week. We have done Christmas to Newyears two years running now and if you are willing to hit the parks early, it won't really be a problem. you can get a lot of the major attractions in by 10:30 without too much crowd problems. After that the crowds pick up but if you manage your FP's and use the more crowded times to do some of the less busy attractions, you won't really be hampered by the crowds.