The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Comcast and Marvel (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066853)

rag10576 02-18-2013 02:55 PM

Comcast and Marvel

Dont you think comcast will want to get rid of Marvel since they cant use Marvel in california? My opinion is they want both Hollywood and Orlando to be the same.

OKW Lover 02-18-2013 03:39 PM

I don't know what would be gained by having both the same. :confused3 Certainly something would be lost if Comcast stopped using Marvel characters in FL.

Metro West 02-18-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag10576 (Post 47545440)
Dont you think comcast will want to get rid of Marvel since they cant use Marvel in california? My opinion is they want both Hollywood and Orlando to be the same.

In a word...nope.

doconeill 02-18-2013 06:38 PM

Universal isn't going to spend the $millions it would take to excise Marvel from IOA just because they can't use them in CA. They had the opportunity to use them in CA and passed, but they seem perfectly happy with what they've got.

It will take something really big to come along for them to retheme the whole area.

Paging Tom Morrow 02-18-2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag10576 (Post 47545440)

The thing they want to be the same the most is they want those areas to be PROFITABLE. There's no chance that they give up their Marvel related rights in Florida.

DRDISNEYMD 02-19-2013 09:59 PM

~I love what Disney had done with Marvel! I wish Comcast would just sell the rights to the Avengers. I don't see the real point in hanging on to it. I wish Disney could buy Comcast!!!

skier_pete 02-19-2013 10:57 PM

I don't see them getting out of the Marvel business at all! They already have the Marvel area built, they only pay Disney/Marvel a fee for it, as long as the fee is not more than what they make with the land, why would they give it up.

Executive #1: "Oh, hey I got an Idea, why don't we give up the rights to some of our most popular attractions so that those other guys down the road can build similar attractions instead?"

Executive #2: "Good idea, you're fired!"

lockedoutlogic 02-20-2013 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
~I love what Disney had done with Marvel! I wish Comcast would just sell the rights to the Avengers. I don't see the real point in hanging on to it. I wish Disney could buy Comcast!!!

If Disney could Comcast...it would be the end of Comcast. They would price it out of 90% of people's budget.

Disney is "reserved" for the elite with the lucrative exception of their crappy merchandise. Seems like an easy trend to see...

I'm glad there's no Mickey cable

dadddio 02-20-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic (Post 47563975)
If Disney could Comcast...it would be the end of Comcast. They would price it out of 90% of people's budget.

Comcast is doing a good job of that all by itself.

rag10576 02-20-2013 04:00 PM

It sucks that Disney cant take advantage of their products. I realize there are prior contracts. But disney also wont let Comcast/universal expand the area. Eventually one side will give in.

Lewisc 02-20-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paging Tom Morrow (Post 47548894)
The thing they want to be the same the most is they want those areas to be PROFITABLE. There's no chance that they give up their Marvel related rights in Florida.

I don't think there a chance Disney will be willing to pay a price Universal will be willing to accept.

Months ago Screamscape gave a scenario describing how Universal could re-theme, assuming they could get the rights to use DC characters. Spiderman could become Superman. Daily Bugle (did I get the name right) would become the Daily Planet.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag10576 (Post 47570219)
It sucks that Disney cant take advantage of their products. I realize there are prior contracts. But disney also wont let Comcast/universal expand the area. Eventually one side will give in.

Disney is taking advantage. They're getting royalties from Universal. They're making money on Marvel movies, merchandise etc.

We don't even know if Disney is even trying to negotiate with Universal.

rag10576 02-20-2013 05:19 PM

You got to think there are ongoing negotistions or at least there will be when the time comes.

doconeill 02-20-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag10576 (Post 47571201)
You got to think there are ongoing negotistions or at least there will be when the time comes.

When what time comes? The contract between Marvel and Universal is open-ended. As long as Universal wants to keep paying, they keep playing. And Disney can't really do much about it.

Disney did NOT buy Marvel for the theme parks.

rag10576 02-20-2013 06:39 PM

To be honest I dont think thats true. It may not have been the prime reason, but It could one of the reasons.

Lewisc 02-20-2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rag10576 (Post 47571994)
To be honest I dont think thats true. It may not have been the prime reason, but It could one of the reasons.

Had theme park rights been a significant reason Disney could have made the deal contingent on Marvel negotiating a buyout of Universal.

Disney might as well try to purchase the theme parks from Comcast. Probably the only way Comcast would agree.