The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Two days without tickets. What to do? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3066307)

thisismyusername 02-17-2013 03:14 PM

Two days without tickets. What to do?
 
A flight cancelation/rebooking forced us to add an extra two days onto our early summer reservation, so now, my family will be staying two days on property without park tickets before our package and tickets kick on the third day (when we will be moving to another resort). We're thrilled that we get more time in Disney, but unsure of what we should do without park tickets and without a car. While we certainly can spend some time in DTD, I'm not sure we have enough interest to spend more than half a day there. I also don't want to pay OOP to visit any water parks since we have the water park option on our tickets.

Any thoughts or suggestions on things to do other than DTD and swimming and relaxing at the resort? (We're staying at POR if that makes a difference.)

Thanks!

DanenRox 02-17-2013 03:22 PM

You might consider meandering over to Ft Wilderness for a dinner show (Hoop de Doo) or dinner in the adjacent restaurant. You could take a carriage ride around Ft Wilderness or let the kids take pony rides. The horse stables are there and house all of the WDW horses. The adults might consider a segway tour. There are water crafts at the beach for rent too. It's just a great part of WDW that is very cool but seems to remain ignored by many. It's a great way to spend a day without the chaos and crowds of the theme parks. Did I mention at night there is a camp fire with Chip and Dale (I think it's Chip and Dale) and you can also watch the water parade from the beach. I LOVE a Disney day without the parks! :3dglasses

tarheelmjfan 02-17-2013 03:22 PM

Fort Wilderness is a great place to spend a non-park day. Trails End is very reasonable or you could order pizza & drinks for carry-out & sit at the picnic tables to eat. You can't feed a family cheaper than that. If you have kids, FW has playgrounds, a petting zoo, wagon rides, & a Chip & Dale hosted campfire movie. The movie is free. Bring your own Smores fixings or buy them there. We bought them there. They're very reasonable. After the movie, you can watch Wishes & the Floating Electrical Water Pageant from FW's beach.

Boardwalk is also fun to fill a few hours. It's definitely not a whole day thing, or even a half day for us. It is worth a visit, if you have time to fill though.


ETA: I looks like was too slow typing up the Ft. Wilderness info. Obviously, it's a popular choice for those filling non-park days. :laughing:

stargazertechie 02-17-2013 03:24 PM

You can pick up your tickets up to 3 days in advance of the package start date- so you *could* add two park days and do parks.

Likewise you could pick up your tickets early and do the waterparks and DisneyQuest

Marthasor 02-17-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisismyusername (Post 47535012)
A flight cancelation/rebooking forced us to add an extra two days onto our early summer reservation, so now, my family will be staying two days on property without park tickets before our package and tickets kick on the third day (when we will be moving to another resort). We're thrilled that we get more time in Disney, but unsure of what we should do without park tickets and without a car. While we certainly can spend some time in DTD, I'm not sure we have enough interest to spend more than half a day there. I also don't want to pay OOP to visit any water parks since we have the water park option on our tickets.

Any thoughts or suggestions on things to do other than DTD and swimming and relaxing at the resort? (We're staying at POR if that makes a difference.)

Thanks!

Could you let us know what ticket option you have on your package and how you intend on using your water park fun and more options? Your tickets expire 14 days after first use, so you may very well still have water park fun and more options on your ticket even after the theme park days on your ticket are done. Another option, if you don't already have 10 day passes, is to simply add 2 days onto your tickets. Depending on how many days you have on your tickets already, it may not be that much more to add two extra days.

swasyluk 02-17-2013 03:46 PM

Our non-park days were spent doing a monorail tour of the MK resorts and this upcoming visit will be spent touring around the EPCOT resorts its free and a good way to scout out resorts for future visits. And DTD of course :)

Sue M 02-17-2013 04:00 PM

I would pick up your tickets early an do the water parks. I think you have to go to guest services in DTD to do it. Don't think the resort is able to.
We love Por, and be sure to see Bob Jackson's show at night. Enjoy the boat to DTD.

thisismyusername 02-17-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks for all of the feedback! I hadn't considered visiting FW, and that might be a nice time for our kids!

Quote:

You can pick up your tickets up to 3 days in advance of the package start date- so you *could* add two park days and do parks.

Likewise you could pick up your tickets early and do the waterparks and DisneyQuest
Quote:

Could you let us know what ticket option you have on your package and how you intend on using your water park fun and more options? Your tickets expire 14 days after first use, so you may very well still have water park fun and more options on your ticket even after the theme park days on your ticket are done. Another option, if you don't already have 10 day passes, is to simply add 2 days onto your tickets. Depending on how many days you have on your tickets already, it may not be that much more to add two extra days.
When I talked to my travel agent about picking up the tickets early, her concern is that the new magic bands may negate that as being an option once they're rolled out (which, she said, is presumed to occur by the time we travel early this summer). My hope is that I will be able to pick up the tickets early and that and we will be able to go to the parks or water parks before our package kicks in (we have 9 day hoppers/WP&M tickets for a 10.5 day trip), but in case we can't and they change the rules with early ticket delivery once the magic bands are implemented, I definitely want a Plan B. I think the kids would be really happy just swimming in the resort pools, but I think I'll be itching to experience a little more of Disney if we can't get into the parks.

stargazertechie 02-17-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisismyusername (Post 47535476)

When I talked to my travel agent about picking up the tickets early, her concern is that the new magic bands may negate that as being an option once they're rolled out (which, she said, is presumed to occur by the time we travel early this summer). My hope is that I will be able to pick up the tickets early and that and we will be able to go to the parks or water parks before our package kicks in (we have 9 day hoppers/WP&M tickets for a 10.5 day trip), but in case we can't and they change the rules with early ticket delivery once the magic bands are implemented, I definitely want a Plan B. I think the kids would be really happy just swimming in the resort pools, but I think I'll be itching to experience a little more of Disney if we can't get into the parks.

I cannot for the life of me imagine Disney getting rid of the 3 day early rule. After all- you can't be in their parks spending money if you can't get through the gates.


Other options for adventure

Spend some time at AKL enjoying the views of the animals
Snack around the monorail resorts
Conquer the Kitchen Sink at Beaches and Cream
Explore the Boardwalk area

Marthasor 02-17-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisismyusername (Post 47535476)
Thanks for all of the feedback! I hadn't considered visiting FW, and that might be a nice time for our kids!

When I talked to my travel agent about picking up the tickets early, her concern is that the new magic bands may negate that as being an option once they're rolled out (which, she said, is presumed to occur by the time we travel early this summer). My hope is that I will be able to pick up the tickets early and that and we will be able to go to the parks or water parks before our package kicks in (we have 9 day hoppers/WP&M tickets for a 10.5 day trip), but in case we can't and they change the rules with early ticket delivery once the magic bands are implemented, I definitely want a Plan B. I think the kids would be really happy just swimming in the resort pools, but I think I'll be itching to experience a little more of Disney if we can't get into the parks.

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought your extra two days were AFTER your package, but see now they are before. I understand your TA is being cautious and can't guarantee anything, but I also think you will still be able to pick up your tickets early.

Few questions. Are you staying at the same resort for your first two nights? If so, why not cancel out your existing package and just re-book with all of your dates and with 9 or 10-day tickets? Or, if you are staying at two different resorts, simply add 9 or 10-day tickets to your first reservation and do room-only at your second resort. (this will only work if you didn't put a dining plan on your reservation).

DieHardJoe 02-17-2013 04:41 PM

We've been to WDW many times as our kids were growing up, and without a doubt, some of the best videos we have are when we were not in the parks. Horseback rides at FW, renting a pontoon boat at DD and cruising through the channels to see the tree house villas (and letting the kids think they were the ones actually steering the boat!), or just traveling by car or Disney transportation to all the various resorts to simply walk around (and of course walk through the gift shops). One of our daughters was married there and we'll be going down this October for a 5-year reunion. Things we could do (and have never done) would be to go to DD and spend a couple hours or more eating at the new Splitsville and bowling a couple of strings. Or maybe rent out a boat at night to watch the Wishes fireworks. How about Mickey's Backyard Barbeque at FW? It's seasonal and only a couple days a week (I think) but it would be something else to try. Bicycle rentals are also something a family can do. Hope you have a great trip and don't be afraid to try something different.

thisismyusername 02-17-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthasor (Post 47535738)
Few questions. Are you staying at the same resort for your first two nights? If so, why not cancel out your existing package and just re-book with all of your dates and with 9 or 10-day tickets? Or, if you are staying at two different resorts, simply add 9 or 10-day tickets to your first reservation and do room-only at your second resort. (this will only work if you didn't put a dining plan on your reservation).

Yes, we are at a different resort following these two days (a deluxe) and have the dining plan for the original package, which is why we can't do that. Unfortunately, if Disney does change the early-pick-up policy with the magic bands (which I certainly hope they don't), I think there's no way for us to change our reservations without dumping the dining plan.

carly chloe 02-17-2013 04:57 PM

I would go to AKL and look at all the animals. Go to Boardwalk at night. So pretty and entertainment. You can go CR and go on thier balcony and watch the fireworks. Rise the momorails. Pick a nice resort or DTD to eat at. Go minature golfing by Blizzard Beach. Go swimming in resort pool- watch outdoor movies. Resort hop. There's enough to do.

thisismyusername 02-17-2013 06:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Your ideas are appreciated. :flower3:

Duke&Tree 02-17-2013 08:51 PM

You've gotten great ideas already! DH and I finally got over to the Swan/Dolphin area to play mini golf on our last trip, and we loved it! What a fun time :) We also love touring the resorts, the boardwalk, and the waterparks. Enjoy your trip!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.