The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Rumors and News (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Disney Store Times Square (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3065890)

cinderwannabe 02-16-2013 08:17 PM

Disney Store Times Square

The first floor is closed up and being renovated. Anyone know what's going on? The CM said it will be reopened in 2-3 months!!!

wilkeliza 02-16-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderwannabe (Post 47527830)
The first floor is closed up and being renovated. Anyone know what's going on? The CM said it will be reopened in 2-3 months!!!

I'm a CM there and I'm not really sure what is going on haha. They never tell us much we just know it is closed and being renovated. The only thing that I know is there were talks of us finally getting a downstairs stock room.

cinderwannabe 02-16-2013 08:28 PM

Oh. I hope that's not IT!!!! The cm I spoke to told me to make sure I came back May or June bc they were going to have something special just for me! Loved him!!!

wilkeliza 02-16-2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cinderwannabe
Oh. I hope that's not IT!!!! The cm I spoke to told me to make sure I came back May or June bc they were going to have something special just for me! Loved him!!!

Oh that wouldn't be it I was just saying everything outside the new stock room is a secret.

MouseyMin 02-17-2013 08:58 PM

I hope they add some of the things that they used to have in the Fifth Avenue Store. I was not overly impressed with the new store.

wilkeliza 02-17-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MouseyMin
I hope they add some of the things that they used to have in the Fifth Avenue Store. I was not overly impressed with the new store.

I wouldn't expect that. 5th Avenue was a World of Disney so it was a park operated store just not at the parks. When they moved to Broadway, Disney Store took over so they want this store to have that Disney Store look and feel not the park feel that the 5th Avenue store had.

hebbynan 02-18-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilkeliza (Post 47538140)
I wouldn't expect that. 5th Avenue was a World of Disney so it was a park operated store just not at the parks. When they moved to Broadway, Disney Store took over so they want this store to have that Disney Store look and feel not the park feel that the 5th Avenue store had.

I miss the old WoD store! In my opinion that one was WAY COOLER! For being in NYC, the Disney Store one isn't any different from the ones around me. :sad1:

Lewisc 02-18-2013 01:49 PM

A CM told me about the changes. The escalators were replaced. The other changes were so insignificant, at least to me, that I don't remember what they were. I think it was basically changes as to what would be on each floor.

PP are correct. When Disney sold the Disney Stores Disney retained the 5th Avenue location. It was part of the theme park division, basically a World of Disney. That was closed after Disney took back Disney Stores. Merchandise from the 5th avenue store was shipped to Orlando instead of a clearance sale. Christmas merchandise and some NYC specific merchandise were the only items deeply discounted at the time the store was closed.

The current store isn't dramatically different then mall stores, excluding some NYC specific merchandise. I don't think that will change.

wilkeliza 02-18-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewisc
A CM told me about the changes. The escalators were replaced. The other changes were so insignificant, at least to me, that I don't remember what they were. I think it was basically changes as to what would be on each floor.

PP are correct. When Disney sold the Disney Stores Disney retained the 5th Avenue location. It was part of the theme park division, basically a World of Disney. That was closed after Disney took back Disney Stores. Merchandise from the 5th avenue store was shipped to Orlando instead of a clearance sale. Christmas merchandise and some NYC specific merchandise were the only items deeply discounted at the time the store was closed.

The current store isn't dramatically different then mall stores, excluding some NYC specific merchandise. I don't think that will change.

We haven't finished the remodel so you wouldn't have seen it yet. Our 2nd floor was closed for two weeks but that was just to put up the walls to block 1st floor construction. Nothing else was done.

MPLsDad 02-18-2013 04:44 PM

This store is no different than Anytown, USA's regular mall Disney Store. It's pretty disappointing since it is located in Times Square. It SHOULD be a destination. The World of Disney store in Downtown Disney is more exciting. The castmembers in NYC are very nice however!

Captain Hook Wannabe 02-18-2013 07:16 PM

Can you pin trade at the NYC store? My kids are really into now, and it might be worth a trip in to do some trading.

wilkeliza 02-18-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Hook Wannabe
Can you pin trade at the NYC store? My kids are really into now, and it might be worth a trip in to do some trading.

Unfortunately no. Pin trading is parks only. We do have Vynlmation trading though.

6disneykids 02-19-2013 12:11 PM

As a former Disney Store CM (and part of my store's management team) we were always the very last to know about anything going on. As odd as it sounds it was true, many guests knew about park pass increases, and other things before we did. If I had to guess, I would think it is the newish "imagination park" design, there have been stores around the country that have undergone this renovation.