The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Upgrade/Check in question (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3065770)

jennabcassell 02-16-2013 03:17 PM

Upgrade/Check in question

I usually do online check in and have never had a problem with it but at the same time I have never had any 'pixie dust' thrown our way in the way of room upgrades. Is this because the people that do online check it are pre-assigned rooms? We always have a room ready even if we check in at 8am!! We are doing a big trip at the Poly in May and we booked what we what (Lagoon view). We are celebrating my graduation from college and my thought was that if I do not do online check-in, I would have a better chance of getting a little 'pixie dust' for our celebration and maybe being upgraded to MK view or CL!! (Wishful thinking, I know!). I booked through Disney and told them our celebration. Any thoughts? Thanks

mickeynut1 02-16-2013 03:54 PM

Free upgrades don't happen as often as they appear to happen on these boards. Disney upgrades people due to maintenance issues, overbooking, etc. and not "just because". How you check in doesn't have anything to do with whether or not you get an upgrade.

pl4bby 02-16-2013 04:13 PM

Um getting your room at 8 am is huge pixie dust

pl4bby 02-16-2013 04:14 PM

Pay for what you want. Getting upgraded is usually just when it benefits Disney not the guest especially to cl

pl4bby 02-16-2013 04:15 PM

I always list my celebrations. They do nice things but never a huge upgrade. We got cards delivered to our room balloons etc

Sue M 02-16-2013 04:49 PM

I have gotten free upgrades for some trips, and have heard of people getting upgrades checking in with either method. I think it depends on resort capacity too, if they are pretty booked up, there's less chance for that magical upgrade.

However the past 2 trips, while we didn't get upgrades, we did get all of our requests filled, so I was pretty happy :goodvibes Our recent trip to POFQ I couldn't have asked for a better location for my GV room. It was perfect, and we got a corner room too!

Things seem to be picking up for WDW attendance, so just my opinion, but I think we'll be seeing less of those magical upgrades. I book what I'll be happy with, and if I get some pixie dust, that's just icing on the cake.

smrand 02-16-2013 07:15 PM

We just got back from a stay at Wilderness Lodge. We had booked a standard room. I did online check-in and we arrived at 10:30 a.m. We were met outside and we mentioned that it was our 4 1/2 year old's first trip and our first time to stay at WL. The cast member made a few notes and took us inside. He gave us an upgrade to a woods view. We didn't ask for it and were surprised and appreciative.

Marthasor 02-16-2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennabcassell (Post 47525953)
I usually do online check in and have never had a problem with it but at the same time I have never had any 'pixie dust' thrown our way in the way of room upgrades. Is this because the people that do online check it are pre-assigned rooms? We always have a room ready even if we check in at 8am!! We are doing a big trip at the Poly in May and we booked what we what (Lagoon view). We are celebrating my graduation from college and my thought was that if I do not do online check-in, I would have a better chance of getting a little 'pixie dust' for our celebration and maybe being upgraded to MK view or CL!! (Wishful thinking, I know!). I booked through Disney and told them our celebration. Any thoughts? Thanks

All rooms are pre-assigned. It is done by computer nowadays.