The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   need fun ideas for 2 off park days! (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3065409)

Lees3rwe 02-15-2013 07:59 PM

need fun ideas for 2 off park days!

Hey folks... heading back for our 4th triip to Disney!
We are going to tack 2 nonpark days on to the end of our trip, possibly switching from POP to one of the Downtown Disney hotels.

What are some must do's???

We have never explored Boardwalk or any resorts other than the Value ones that we have stayed at. I'm sure there is plenty to keep us busy (in addition to some pool time).

We have always spent every second in the parks, so we would like to have a little down time this trip.

worm761 02-15-2013 08:02 PM

Explore Boardwalk definitely. This is on my to do list! You can explore Downtown Disney or maybe play some mini golf. Do you have a car or do you need to stay onsite?

Lees3rwe 02-15-2013 08:04 PM

We will have our car.

ImpossibleOfMe 02-15-2013 08:07 PM

I have been pondering the same thing and think we may do a monorail tour at least part of the day, being sure to check out the Contemporary arcade and ending at the Poly for wishes on the beach.
We also hope to do mini-golf and the biggest off-day thing on our list is Goofy's Candy make your own treat. :) But we have an off day in the middle of the week as well has half of arrival and departure days.

claryche 02-15-2013 09:22 PM

Campfire at Ft. Wilderness. Outlet shopping is one of our favs, or even going to Target, because they have some good prices on Disney World t-shirts. Visiting AKL, watching the animals.

Canooknic 02-15-2013 09:28 PM

One of my boy's favorite things on our off day was building and racing cars at the Lego store in DTD. I grabbed a drink and Wetzel pretzel and sat and watched them play for over an hour then we went for lunch at T-Rex before shopping in the Disney store and wandering around the other stores.
It was a lovely day

World Showcaser 02-16-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worm761 (Post 47519512)
Explore Boardwalk definitely. This is on my to do list! You can explore Downtown Disney or maybe play some mini golf. Do you have a car or do you need to stay onsite?

I echo visiting Downtown Disney, even if it's just for a little while. If you are going to visit the Boardwalk, be careful when you go. First of all, the evening there seems a lot more interesting. And be sure to pick evenings when the entertainers are out. Otherwise, it's kind of boring. According to Steve Soares' site:

Quote:

The Buskers have been replaced by a rotating group of performers that only appear Thursday-Saturday, at least at present. The only musician still performing is "Musicale Mark;" the others include a cowgirl doing rope tricks, a juggler, a balancing act, and a presentation from one of the former Buskers.
We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside on our upcoming trip and they seem to have a lot of activities. You can take a boat to DTD. They offer carriage rides and surrey bike rentals and fishing and boat rentals. As well, Yee Haw Bob performs in their lounge in the evenings. So, if you are considering changing hotels, I might suggest this one. They also have an interesting looking pool called Ol' Man's Island.

HuskerFaninIL 02-16-2013 09:15 AM

I'm not sure when your going, but we are going in mid-November and plan to resort hop to see all the Christmas decor and gingerbread houses :)

(If you have a ticker I can't see it on the phone app)

deanimal 02-16-2013 09:20 AM

Wizarding World of Harry Potter!!!

Seriously, we're Disney lovers, but it was the highlight of our last trip!

sharadoc 02-16-2013 11:22 AM

I just wanted to mention that you can sprinkle your down days in between park days, just because you check out doesn't mean you still can't use your tickets that you bought on your Pop room key.

dprincessmom 02-16-2013 12:56 PM

We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside on our upcoming trip and they seem to have a lot of activities. You can take a boat to DTD. They offer carriage rides and surrey bike rentals and fishing and boat rentals. As well, Yee Haw Bob performs in their lounge in the evenings. So, if you are considering changing hotels, I might suggest this one. They also have an interesting looking pool called Ol' Man's Island.[/QUOTE]

We love POR - the boats to DTD, pools (there is the activity pool but also 7 quiet pools). We typically have a day where we do DTD and pool. On our next big trip I am thinking like a progressive dinner type thing at the monorail resorts just something new and different and we are talking about Splitsville.

pwdebbie 02-16-2013 02:36 PM

Something I would like to do one day would be to drive south to the Disney Wilderness Preserve. I believe it is about a 45-minute drive. Or how about driving over to the Gulf or the ocean for a day?

backpacktwang 02-16-2013 03:36 PM

Take a day trip to Cocoa Beach!

Pier60 02-16-2013 06:10 PM

Drive over to Cocoa Beach. Its about an hour.
Do some surfing!

Stinkerbell1973 02-16-2013 06:53 PM

We never leave WDW property when we go, but we wanted to do something different during our trip this September so we are going to do a day at Discovery Cove. Can't wait!!