The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   UK Trip Planning Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   tipping question re alcoholic drinks (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3064247)

MadViBe 02-13-2013 04:09 PM

tipping question re alcoholic drinks
 
right, I am trying to understand all the tipping 'rules'
if I am on qs dining plan I know alcoholic drinkies are not included and I know that you don't need to tip qs but what if I get our qs lunches and we want a bottle of bud or something do I tip when I pay oop for the bud or not?
Thankyou


Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

ccgirl 02-13-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadViBe (Post 47497293)
right, I am trying to understand all the tipping 'rules'
if I am on qs dining plan I know alcoholic drinkies are not included and I know that you don't need to tip qs but what if I get our qs lunches and we want a bottle of bud or something do I tip when I pay oop for the bud or not?
Thankyou


Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

For counter service restaurants, I don't tip. I don't think many people do.

For Sit down Restaurants I tip on the entire bill (all alcohol included).

Elise79 02-13-2013 04:38 PM

You don't tip at a QS location however if you are going to a proper bar then you will need to tip :goodvibes

crabbie1 02-13-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elise79
You don't tip at a QS location however if you are going to a proper bar then you will need to tip :goodvibes

As elise says. Normally $1 a drink. If extra nice and friendly I give $2 :)

MadViBe 02-13-2013 05:30 PM

fab Thankyou, as I thought really but always best to check, don't want to be the rude british woman that doesn't tip properly


Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

mollies_mum 02-14-2013 01:39 AM

Do you just leave the tip on the bar after the bartender has given you your change? We are off to NYC in two weeks and have never been to a bar in the US only restaurants!

Kath2003 02-14-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies_mum (Post 47502139)
Do you just leave the tip on the bar after the bartender has given you your change? We are off to NYC in two weeks and have never been to a bar in the US only restaurants!

Can do but also easy enough to just stick another dollar or two on when you pay.

wilma-bride 02-14-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies_mum (Post 47502139)
Do you just leave the tip on the bar after the bartender has given you your change? We are off to NYC in two weeks and have never been to a bar in the US only restaurants!

If we are paying cash, we just leave a $ or two on the bar after we've paid and got our change. If we're running up a tab or paying by card, we add the tip on when we close down the check.

zippy99 02-14-2013 08:19 AM

What about when you have a table service.

If we order a $35 of House Wine - a 20% tip is $7

Whereas ordering a $60 wine would attract a $12

The service for pouring etc... is no different. Is it just me who has this concern when ordering wine

wilma-bride 02-14-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy99 (Post 47503291)
What about when you have a table service.

If we order a $35 of House Wine - a 20% tip is $7

Whereas ordering a $60 wine would attract a $12

The service for pouring etc... is no different. Is it just me who has this concern when ordering wine

I work on the basis that I leave a % tip for the entire bill for a TS meal, whether I have ordered alcohol or not. If I had ordered a bottle of wine, that would be included in the bill and the total % tip I left would be based on the cost of the meal including the wine (so, yes, theoretically 20% or possibly even more).

thestevied 02-14-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilma-bride

I work on the basis that I leave a % tip for the entire bill for a TS meal, whether I have ordered alcohol or not. If I had ordered a bottle of wine, that would be included in the bill and the total % tip I left would be based on the cost of the meal including the wine (so, yes, theoretically 20% or possibly even more).

Ditto. We usually leave a rough percentage of the total bill. If we have excellent service we may tip a bit more, and likewise if service is poor we'll deduct a few dollars. But it's always based on the total of the bill.

wilma-bride 02-14-2013 08:43 AM

Zoe, not to single you out in particular but, because you made the analogy between buying, say, a bottle of house red or a more expensive bottle.

Arguably, it is no different than whether you order a cheaper entree or a more expensive. If tipping based on a % of the total bill, you are always going to be tipping more for the more expensive meal, however you could argue that the same amount of work is involved in bringing a plate of food costing $20 as that required for bringing a $40 plate.

I don't really tend to think about the individual cost of the items or the amount of work involved in getting it to the table, I just tip based on the total cost of the meal, including any alcohol we've ordered, whether that be a bottle of beer that just needed the cap removing, a bottle of wine that needed to be opened and allowed to breathe or a mixed drink which may have taken a couple of minutes to prepare.

ccgirl 02-14-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies_mum (Post 47502139)
Do you just leave the tip on the bar after the bartender has given you your change? We are off to NYC in two weeks and have never been to a bar in the US only restaurants!

Yes, if you want them to serve you again. At least in Boston (I assume NYC is similar) the bars can get quite crowded. The bartenders remember who their good tippers are and will keep a eye out of you when you go back up to order. If you are only going to get one or two drinks, it's no big deal.

Typically, beer would be around $5 so I would pay with a $5 and leave $1 tip. If I was planning on staying a while and drinking I would probably leave a couple of dollars.

I love the PP analogy about a more expensive entree. As they indicated, it is the same thing as a more expensive drink. It is customary to tip on the entire bill.

mollies_mum 02-14-2013 02:53 PM

Thanks, that's really helpful. Never drunk in a US bar before so want to get it right! :)

wilma-bride 02-14-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mollies_mum (Post 47507178)
Thanks, that's really helpful. Never drunk in a US bar before so want to get it right! :)

I just read that as "never been drunk in a US bar before so want to get it right" :rotfl:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.