The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Motion sick meds (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3064080)

PrincessAbby'sMom 02-13-2013 10:50 AM

Motion sick meds

What does everyone use? Do you use over the counter or prescription from the doctor? What works best?

Never cruised before, but all 3 of us get motion sick/car sick, so preparing for it.

MKCQuilt 02-13-2013 10:57 AM

Our family has tried many products, but "Sea-Band Anti-Nausea Ginger Gum" is the one we recommend. "Safe, all natural relief of nausea, gluten free". Our grandchildren are fine with it. Not a pill. Easy-to-chew gum. I buy it at CVS. Not just for cruising - good for cars, morning sickness, chemo etc.

PrincessAbby'sMom 02-13-2013 10:59 AM

Is it sugarless? My DD has braces...

PrincessShmoo 02-13-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom (Post 47494237)
What does everyone use? Do you use over the counter or prescription from the doctor? What works best?

Never cruised before, but all 3 of us get motion sick/car sick, so preparing for it.

I don't use anything :yay:, but DH has used the patch and sea-bands (different times). Both seemed to work fine for him. He only uses the patch if the seas get really rocky. On days that the sea is calm, he's even gone without the sea bands.

Being the mom, I always have Bonine, ginger pills, ginger ale, and Motion-Eze with us, just in case.

Motion-Eze is an oil that you rub behind the ear(natural ingredients) for motion sickness.

I used the Motion-Eze for the first day or two on our first cruise, because I didn't know if I would need anything. After that, I took a chance and didn't use it anymore. Turns out, I apparently don't need it.

bahacca 02-13-2013 11:18 AM

For the cruise itself I'll probably just wear my sea bands. For the catamaran we are taking, I'll use dramamine non-drowsy. I've used that for YEARS when I go diving--I don't wanna fall asleep 80 ft underwater!

DisneyOHFan 02-13-2013 11:22 AM

We use Bonine. We take it the night before the cruise and then each night there after. We have never had an issue.

NurseDave 02-13-2013 11:22 AM

I get car sick pretty easily and when planes land. My first cruise I didn't use anything and was fine except for one evening when there was a storm and just laid down and slept through it, it happened around dinner time.

This time my gf is deathly afraid of being sick, so we're bringing patches to be safe.

wiigirl 02-13-2013 11:26 AM

Honestly the BEST thing I have ever used was stuff called "cola syrup". You can find it at most pharmacies like CVS....it really works. :thumbsup2

PrincessAbby'sMom 02-13-2013 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bahacca
For the cruise itself I'll probably just wear my sea bands. For the catamaran we are taking, I'll use dramamine non-drowsy. I've used that for YEARS when I go diving--I don't wanna fall asleep 80 ft underwater!

What are sea bands?

ImDMous 02-13-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyOHFan (Post 47494568)
We use Bonine. We take it the night before the cruise and then each night there after. We have never had an issue.

Exactly, tiny little chewable, take it every night, no problems.

calismic 02-13-2013 11:41 AM

The most effective medication I've taken is Zofran, but its a prescription. For over the counter I still stand by Benadryl. Yes, you may get drowsy but it works great for motion sickness.

sayhello 02-13-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessAbby'sMom (Post 47494647)
What are sea bands?

Sea bands are these little stretch bands that have a knob on them that places pressure on the inside of your wrist. It's one of those things that either work for you or doesn't. I find they work really well for me short term. I took a Sea Plane trip in Alaska, and the Sea Bands worked perfectly.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sea...662944-product

For longer trips or cruises, I use the patch. I find that as long as I put it on a few hours before the trip starts, and replace it every 3 days like you're supposed to, they are wonderfully effective. Some people have reactions to the patch, and can't wear them. So I highly recommend you try one on well before you go on your cruise to see if you react to it or not. I actually recommend that for any sea sickness remedy! (For example, Bonine really knocks me out. But a lot of folks, it doesn't make them sleepy at all. So you want to know which way it affects you ahead of time. Nobody wants to sleep through their cruise!!!

I also agree that the ginger gum can be a good short-term treatment.

Sayhello

PrincessAbby'sMom 02-13-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sayhello
Sea bands are these little stretch bands that have a knob on them that places pressure on the inside of your wrist. It's one of those things that either work for you or doesn't. I find they work really well for me short term. I took a Sea Plane trip in Alaska, and the Sea Bands worked perfectly.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/sea...662944-product

For longer trips or cruises, I use the patch. I find that as long as I put it on a few hours before the trip starts, and replace it every 3 days like you're supposed to, they are wonderfully effective. Some people have reactions to the patch, and can't wear them. So I highly recommend you try one on well before you go on your cruise to see if you react to it or not. I actually recommend that for any sea sickness remedy! (For example, Bonine really knocks me out. But a lot of folks, it doesn't make them sleepy at all. So you want to know which way it affects you ahead of time. Nobody wants to sleep through their cruise!!!

I also agree that the ginger gum can be a good short-term treatment.

Sayhello

That's what I thought they may be, darn - those dont work on me! 😡
I think I will get many options to take! Can't believe there are that many!

QuiltTeddy 02-13-2013 11:54 AM

DH swears by "Bonine". One pill a day. No side effects.

lucyem 02-13-2013 11:56 AM

Bonine, one a day, every morning starting with the morning of the day we board.