The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Solo trip - should I stay at Sports or Pop? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3063095)

lvdis 02-11-2013 02:32 PM

Solo trip - should I stay at Sports or Pop?

I'm considering going out 2 days early, at the end of May, when I have a conference in Orlando, so I can spend a couple of days at WDW. It's the first time I've gone to the parks alone and I'm not sure where to stay! Since it's just me and we have a family trip planned to DLR in June, I thought I would save some money and stay at a value resort.

I can get All Star Sports for $197 or Pop Century for $218. Which would you choose and why? I thought about trying out Port Orleans French Quarter, but it's $423 for those same two nights and I'm not sure I can justify that for just me!

OKW Lover 02-11-2013 02:56 PM

I'd do Pop simply because its newer and closer to most of the parks than All Stars. The price difference would sway me if it was in the $40 range though.

JennyDrake 02-11-2013 05:18 PM

I was solo in August and stayed at Sports. I was very comfortable there in all aspects. I prefer AS to Pop as they have 1,000 fewer rooms and therefore less people and chaos. Either one would be fine!!

lotus1197 02-11-2013 07:49 PM

i prefer Sports over Pop also...i am in no way an athletic person or do i watch sports, but i did like the smaller size @ Sports.

Itinkso 02-11-2013 08:20 PM

I've stayed at Movies and Pop; it was easier to get to my room at Pop. Plus, an advantage for Pop is that you can walk across the bridge and check out AoA! They also have a great food court!

Bell30012 02-12-2013 05:56 AM

I'd choose POP over ASSp in a second. Then you could walk over and check out AoA. Which has the best food court of a value. POP is better laid out, IMH, than the All Stars. Nothing is really too far away. POP has the Remembrance Walk which is great for an early morning stroll. Plus I like the memorabilia in the lobby area. You might check AoA - LM price to see if it is a contender, as well. POP over ASSp, you are only talking about a $21 difference.

athumann 02-12-2013 10:26 AM

I vote for Pop Century hands down! I've stayed at both and All Star Sports was so bad we asked to switch resorts after the first night. We had 2 adjoining rooms and they were in major need of refurbishing, the middle of the beds were sunk in and the rooms had a strange urine like smell to them. Ewww. I'm sure not all the rooms are that way but I won't ever take a chance like that again. But overall the resort seemed dark and dismal. Pop Century on the other hand is bright and cheerful and I love the open feel of the food court. We've stayed here 4 different times and have never had a bad experience.