Second-guessing my choice to use a travel agent
Hi all, I've booked three packages at the poly for November for my family, my sister's family and my parents. After much research we decided to use a travel agent and chose one highly recommended by mousesavers. A few things have happened so far that's making me a bit nervous:
1. Agent accidentally booked my package twice, thus charging me twice.
2. My sister had to call her several times to get In Touch with her to pay her deposit. The agent's response was that she must've had her number wrong because everytime she called it was busy. Instead of contacting ME (I am the one who made the contact and got the quotes) she waited until my sister called back again (over a few day time span).
3. I just received a Magic your way brochure in the mail, outlining what I can do to get ready for thr trip (disney material). Included in The mailing was a flyer with the travel agents logo, advertising a package special for SPRING 2011. What?!
I am nervous because we are really counting on the agent being on top of things and helping us get a discount if one comes out. After reading such high reviews I am honestly pretty disappointed so far.
I'm not sure how to proceed because my mom thinks if I question or complain what's happened so far, the agent will definitely not make it a priority to help us with a discount (if one comes out).
I really don't want to go through the hassle of canceling all the ressies and re-booking with disney... What should I do? Am I expecting too much? What can be said (if anything) to get this back to the standard I was expecting? Maybe I've got my head in the clouds, but after such a high endorsement I was expecting a little bit more. Between the three of us we are spending 10,000 for this vacation.
Thanks in advance for your advice.
I, too, am wondering why you are using a travel agent. Were you nervous you wouldn't be able to stay on top of discounts by yourself? Make your own ADR's, etc.? If that is the case, yes, go with an agency, but perhaps switch or have a conversation with the agent you are using. It doesn't sound like she is on top of her game. The advantage of dealing with an agent is you always have one go-to person to take care of everything for you as opposed to always getting a different person at Disney. And some of those Disney CM's simply don't know what they are talking about, so it's luck of the draw when you pick up the phone. This disadvantage, as you found out, is, if that person is unreachable it's REALLY frustrating.
I use a particular travel agency, but ONLY when they have a discount out that is better than Disney's, otherwise I want control of my reservation. You are a long way away from your trip. If you are already having problems, I would pull the reservation from that agent and either call Disney directly or go through another agency. No point in stressing over your trip or thinking she won't get you a discount because you are being "difficult"! It's your trip, you shouldn't have to worry like this.
I used Small World, I think that's the one you are referring to. They are a big agency with lots I'd TAs. Sounds like you may have gotten a new one? I never had a problem contacting the TA, but usually used email to ask for payment to be made. When using a TA, aside from discussing initial plans, and setting out what I'm looking for, most of my contact can be by email.
I can understand your concerns, and you could contact the head of the agency and tell her your concerns, and ask to be re-assigned to a different agent.
I hope you get things resolved. I have used 2 other agencies who I've been very happy with. If you want to PM me, I'm happy to share.
Thanks for the replies. I know things happen. If I isolate each thing, then no big deal. It's everything combined. It would just be a major hassle to reorganize the three families- cancel the reservations, rebook the reservations, wait for credit etc.
It was my understanding that a travel agent will know the deals that come out before I will. Is that true? That's what led us down this path. If that's not true then I'm seriously reconsidering this.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.