The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Will I be disappointed with POR? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3061271)

JoJostar 02-08-2013 08:53 AM

Will I be disappointed with POR?

Leaving next week for POR. We have only stayed deluxe before. I am second guessing myself like crazy ( probably belong on the resort changers board). I have officially driven my DH so crazy that he will leave the room if I try to ask him a trip question. So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down? Should I pay an extra $300 for AkL or an extra $800 for WL? Help!

dansdad 02-08-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJostar (Post 47441595)
So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down?

I can't think of one possible reason why you would be let down. It's a beautiful, tranquil resort. Make sure you make some time one night to check out Yehaa Bob.:thumbsup2

GATORinaZ28 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

We have stayed in a Deluxe (only the Contemporary, but numerous times), Mods, and a Value. We stayed at Riverside for the first time in Nov 11. We loved it and will most likely be back there again in 2013. The peace and quiet is so nice. The land it sits on is beautiful. Only way we would not stay there again is if we decide to try Animal Kingdom Lodge for the first time.

I hope you will enjoy it.

michelleiada 02-08-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoJostar
Leaving next week for POR. We have only stayed deluxe before. I am second guessing myself like crazy ( probably belong on the resort changers board). I have officially driven my DH so crazy that he will leave the room if I try to ask him a trip question. So my question is this, having only stayed at deluxes and DVC resorts, will POR be a let down? Should I pay an extra $300 for AkL or an extra $800 for WL? Help!

We always stay deluxe also, at Beach Club. However, last summer we were at WDW for a basketball nationals and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money for a non-vacation. We stayed mostly at Bonnet Creek but also did a couple nights at Port Orleans Riverside. It is a beautiful resort and we loved the theming in the rooms and outside on resort grounds. The only thing I would really miss staying here is the ability to walk to two parks and the Boardwalk. Other than that we Found the resort to be very nice.

nkereina 02-08-2013 09:13 AM

We stayed at Poly on our first trip and POR twice since then. Trying CSR on our next trip. Now that we've seen the difference between deluxe and mod, it's hard for us to justify the extra cost for deluxe when mods have everything we want.

mgdisney 02-08-2013 09:22 AM

We have stayed all levels of resorts (value, mod and deluxe) and so far POR is are fav resort. Like the others have stated POR is a beautiful resort, we enjoy the boat ride to DTD, which I think for a mod resort is an extra in itself. You won't be disappointed, relax and enjoy your trip!!

shoney 02-08-2013 09:22 AM

We stayed at POR last Feb over President's day. It was our first onsite trip, so I have nothing "Disney" to compare it to.

Honestly, the resort itself is very nice. Bob in the lounge was fun. Boatwrights was delicious! The food court was a food court. Had stuff for the kids. Food was ok. Very crowded in the am. The kids liked the pool and slide (they were 10 and 12), but the pool activities were geared for much younger kids, so they didn't participate.

We were disappointed with the room. I thought it would have been nicer based on what I read about it. It was newly renovated, but very cheaply done. The towels and sheets were very poor quality. We weren't in the room much, so it didn't impact our vacation. I was just a bit surprised that it wasn't on par with a Hampton Inn type room.

At time, it was $2k more to stay at a deluxe. I couldn't justify that price difference.

I would love to stay at AKL! It looks amazing!

sue1013 02-08-2013 09:28 AM

POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.

princessallegra 02-08-2013 09:29 AM

We have stayed all levels, many times deluxe and we love POR. It is a really beautiful resort with an awesome food court and ts restaurant, and the boat to dtd is neat. That being said, how long is your trip? $300 doesn't sound like a lot to upgrade to AKL.

mommy2mb 02-08-2013 09:31 AM

We stayed POR last March and loved it! The rooms were very nice, and the grounds were beautiful!

shoney 02-08-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sue1013 (Post 47441899)
POR is a very nice resort, very pretty. It's only DH and I smaller room size doesn't matter to us. You won't have a balcony which I prefer but not a big deal. The only thing that keeps me from staying there is the hot tub situation. There is only one at the main pool that is always filled with kids jumping, diving treating it like a pool. Same thing seems to happen at main pools at deluxe resorts but the hot tubs at the quiet pools are usually not like that. If the hot tub doesn't matter to you then I think you will enjoy POR.

I agree about the hot tub.

My kids came over and said they were going to the hot tub. I said "no that is for adults". My older son said "mom...go look at it" It was filled with little kids...gross! They went in though:confused3

wiigirl 02-08-2013 09:37 AM

Personally, I think you will enjoy it....its not a bad time. :)

quandrea 02-08-2013 09:45 AM

Differing opinion here. I've stayed at values, mods, deluxe and DVC. I like the mods least because I don't think the product justifies the expense. If I wasn't doing DVC or deluxe, I'd stay value because I think that the value for dollar is better. The rooms at the mods are basically motel rooms. The extra money buys you landscaping and a nicer lobby. Not worth it. Go value or stay at AKL.

dansdad 02-08-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quandrea (Post 47442064)
The extra money buys you landscaping and a nicer lobby.

Plus:
Bigger rooms
Queen beds instead of doubles (except CBR)
Double sinks
Multiple covered bus stops
Pool slides
Hot tubs
Table service restaurant
Boat rental
Bike rental
Fishing

But if you don't spend any time enjoying the resort and only use the room for sleeping and showering, I completely agree to save $$ and stay value.:thumbsup2

Missytara 02-08-2013 10:16 AM

I have stayed at deluxe only one, and I went down to POR twice that week and cried because I wasn't there.

I love POR.