The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Budget Board (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Ideas on cheaper flights to disney (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3060847)

jeff2012 02-07-2013 10:20 AM

Ideas on cheaper flights to disney
 
I am coming from Northeast PA to Disney in September. I am obviously flying and my wife and kids all enjoy it. I don't feel like taking out a mortgage to get my flights, does anyone have any suggestions on which carrier is less expensive? And from what airport?

shoney 02-07-2013 10:55 AM

I would start by using www.kayak.com

Also, remember to check 1 way fares. Sometimes it is cheaper to book 2 separate airlines, rather than a round trip ticket.

ssawka 02-07-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff2012 (Post 47433087)
I am coming from Northeast PA to Disney in September. I am obviously flying and my wife and kids all enjoy it. I don't feel like taking out a mortgage to get my flights, does anyone have any suggestions on which carrier is less expensive? And from what airport?

My parents live in NEPA and they were mentioning that Allegiant Air now flies out of ABE (Allentown) and has great fares. They have also flown Jet Blue out of Stuart in the past.

kimbe21 02-07-2013 11:13 AM

Spirit
 
Spirit Airlines out of Latrobe airport are usually cheap.

ssawka 02-07-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimbe21 (Post 47433581)
Spirit Airlines out of Latrobe airport are usually cheap.

But watch out for the fees!

tyniknate 02-07-2013 12:09 PM

We drive to BWI or Dulles and take Jet Blue from there. A whole lot cheaper than the local flights.

tyniknate 02-07-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssawka (Post 47433530)
My parents live in NEPA and they were mentioning that Allegiant Air now flies out of ABE (Allentown) and has great fares. They have also flown Jet Blue out of Stuart in the past.

I would have to double check, but I don't believe Allegiant goes to the Orlando airport. I think it uses Sanford? This could cause problems if you are planning to use magical express.

mm1971 02-07-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff2012 (Post 47433087)
I am coming from Northeast PA to Disney in September. I am obviously flying and my wife and kids all enjoy it. I don't feel like taking out a mortgage to get my flights, does anyone have any suggestions on which carrier is less expensive? And from what airport?

Spirit Airlines is usually the cheapest as long as you don't have too much luggage(high fees). Just remember that you get what you pay for with them.

What we did for our latest trip was we applied and were accepted for the SW Airlines CC. If you spend $2K in the first 3 months, you get 50,000 free points. We used the points for our flights and got all 4 for free. Just paid off the balance when the statement came. In your case, you could maybe pay off the vacation parts and then use the points to book? Or if you have other expenses, use the card and get the points. There is an annual fee, $69 it think, but it still beats the $1200 it would cost in airline tickets.

ssawka 02-07-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyniknate (Post 47434227)
I would have to double check, but I don't believe Allegiant goes to the Orlando airport. I think it uses Sanford? This could cause problems if you are planning to use magical express.

Just checked, and you are correct. I guess it would depend then on whether the OP would be interested in renting a car. If they were planning on renting a car anyway or the savings are great enough, it might still be worth it.

Lferguson78 02-07-2013 12:22 PM

Airlines fluctuate all the time. The key to a good price is to check often. Typically mid week the prices are lower.

ssawka 02-07-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lferguson78 (Post 47434358)
Airlines fluctuate all the time. The key to a good price is to check often. Typically mid week the prices are lower.

And book through the airline's website. Some airlines, like Jet Blue and I think Southwest, will give you a credit if the fare drops and you call them.

ValpoCory 02-07-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lferguson78 (Post 47434358)
Airlines fluctuate all the time. The key to a good price is to check often. Typically mid week the prices are lower.

Bingo. Fly Southwest when you can, to save money on fees and bags. And watch this board and their website. Every few months, they'll have a big sale that will save you hundreds.

ValpoCory 02-07-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssawka (Post 47434388)
And book through the airline's website. Some airlines, like Jet Blue and I think Southwest, will give you a credit if the fare drops and you call them.

Southwest does that, but the credit expires quickly. You have to use it on a flight within 12 months after the date you originally bought the tickets.

ssawka 02-07-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValpoCory (Post 47434937)
Southwest does that, but the credit expires quickly. You have to use it on a flight within 12 months after the date you originally bought the tickets.

Good to know! With Jet Blue, you only have to book within 12 months, not travel. It gets a bit tricky if you are trying to get a credit on a flight that you used credits to pay for. In that case, it is the original credits will be returned and they will keep their original expiration dates.

jeff2012 02-07-2013 01:39 PM

The flights just came out and my wife wants to get them now, she wants to fly out of Philly. Should I tell her to wait?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.