The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does a January/February visit mean ride closures? (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3060756)

GervaisCouple 02-07-2013 08:31 AM

Does a January/February visit mean ride closures?

Hello!

We love visiting WDW during non-peak times...lower costs and, more importantly, less crowds! But on our last trip in 2010 this also meant that a major ride (Splash Mountain) was closed during our trip (not counting the mad dash we made into the park when we should've been heading to the airport to squeeze in one ride at opening! note to anyone considering this in the future, splash mountain is a LONG ride...we had to run to get a taxi and hitch a ride to the airport, barely making our flight! But, it was worth it! :rotfl2: )

So, now I have been paying more attention to ride closures and the January/February time slot seems to be one of the higher periods for ride maintenance.

I totally understand the need...I just don't want to visit and have one of our fav rides be out of service.

We typically book a year in advance...is there any where to view planned closures that far out?

Also, am I right in thinking that Jan. is the most likely time of year for major rides to be shut down (after the holidays, before Spring break)?

We have previously also enjoyed visits in the non-peak time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but with little ones at home now, that time of year is so hectic...are there other great non-peak travel times that are less likely to see closures?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Kim

mesaboy2 02-07-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GervaisCouple
Hello!

We love visiting WDW during non-peak times...lower costs and, more importantly, less crowds! But on our last trip in 2010 this also meant that a major ride (Splash Mountain) was closed during our trip (not counting the mad dash we made into the park when we should've been heading to the airport to squeeze in one ride at opening! note to anyone considering this in the future, splash mountain is a LONG ride...we had to run to get a taxi and hitch a ride to the airport, barely making our flight! But, it was worth it! :rotfl2: )

So, now I have been paying more attention to ride closures and the January/February time slot seems to be one of the higher periods for ride maintenance.

I totally understand the need...I just don't want to visit and have one of our fav rides be out of service.

We typically book a year in advance...is there any where to view planned closures that far out?

Also, am I right in thinking that Jan. is the most likely time of year for major rides to be shut down (after the holidays, before Spring break)?

We have previously also enjoyed visits in the non-peak time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but with little ones at home now, that time of year is so hectic...are there other great non-peak travel times that are less likely to see closures?

Thanks in advance for sharing!

Kim

Only Splash and a water park can be virtually counted on to close during this time.

Other than those, I've never put much stock in the idea that more rides close in the offseason.

mousejunkie98 02-07-2013 08:57 AM

Ditto what Mesaboy said. They will definitely do any Splash refurbs during the winter months (I believe there's one going on this month) but beyond that and the water parks, not really (Test Track was down the entire summer). They do make an effort to not have more than one or two major rides down for refurb at a time.

Tropical Wilds 02-07-2013 11:12 AM

I've been the last week of January twice now:
  • Both times, Kali River Rapids was closed
  • Once, Splash Mtn was closed. It typically closes for refurb in Jan.
  • Most of the parks for most of the days we were there didn't have evening EMH
  • One time Fantasmic! was down for refurb, the second it had only one nightly showing 4-5 nights a week and two showings 2-3 times a week.
  • The Light Parade was down for refurb, the second it had only 2-3 weekly showings

Also, one of the water parks was closed, though if it was cold enough, the remaining one wouldn't open or delayed its opening.

That said, the lines were generally better, you could get more done, the weather was great, and it was easier to enjoy things that would otherwise be prohibitive due to larger crowds. Like for Illuminations, we could walk right up to unobstructed viewing just as the fireworks were starting.

I've never found what was "down" to be any more or less then what's "down" when I go in Sept, Oct, or Nov. The significant difference I've noticed is the dramatic easing back of the EMH's.

Jadeey 02-08-2013 01:59 PM

Thank for this, I had the same question. We're planning to go in January 2014 as well - travelling all the way from New Zealand - so I was hoping not too many rides would be closed down.

We're thinking about braving the New Years crowds to do any rides that are going to close since after this trip it'll be many years before we are back. (Darn living on the other side of the world!)