The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Boardwalk villas vs. Wilderness Lodge villas vs. animal kingdom (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3060733)

Rachel Harmon 02-07-2013 07:26 AM

Boardwalk villas vs. Wilderness Lodge villas vs. animal kingdom

We are taking our 5 and 7 year old boys to Disney in April...none of us have ever been. I'm so confused as to which resort to stay, as we've never been to any parks. Will MK be too kiddy for them??? Will Epcot/HS be too big for them?? Help! Any ideas would be great! Rach

mickeynut1 02-07-2013 07:57 AM

Our first trip to Disney was when our two DSs were 6 & 8 and they loved all of the parks. I think MK is great for all ages, but for your kids and their ages, MK is perfect. As far as which villa to choose, I would go with either VWL or AKV. VWL is close to MK and AKV is great if they love animals. We've never stayed in any of the villas, but we have stayed at both WL and AKL and both are beautiful resorts and great places to stay. With that said, the MK area is our favorite and not only is VWL in close proximity to MK, but it's very convenient to the CR via boat where you can shop, dine, and visit and then hop on the monorail to visit the Poly and GF. Good luck deciding, although I'm sure you will have a magical trip no matter which resort/villa you choose :wizard:.

pepe of ohio 02-07-2013 08:00 AM

I'll get crucified but I'll venture in anyway...

Children, from my experience and standpoint enjoy the MK better than the other parks...

We prefer WL to any other resorts on property just on location alone.... Being a boat ride from the MK and MK being our favorite park ....

Everyone has their reasons for their favorite resorts and whatnot.... But for us, even after 47 trips, the MK is our favorite park and the WL has served us well over 10 of those visits!!

RocketEAR99 02-07-2013 08:04 AM

I was roughly 7 years old when I made my first trip to WDW. I LOVED all the parks (except AK, because it didn't exist yet). Odds are your kids will enjoy MK the most though.

As to resorts options, I've stayed at all 3 of those resorts and loved them. You really can't go wrong, but for the family frequenting MK, Wilderness Lodge is definitely the wise choice (and it happens to be my new favorite resort regardless).

Magic3forme 02-07-2013 08:10 AM

MK is still my 15 & 13 yrs old favorite park! although they do love RnR and ToT. We spend alot of time at MK --its my favorite park too.

I love the fireworks too!!

As for where to stay.. AKV or WL get my vote. My kids love seeing the animals, but being close to MK is always a plus. either resort will be great. BW is great for Epcot

FantasiaMagic 02-07-2013 08:56 AM

WL is in a great location with it being so close to MK. BWV is in walking/boating distance to EPCOT and HS. AKV has amazing views of the animals.

All of these resorts are very different and have different perks and locations.

Rachel Harmon 02-07-2013 10:50 AM

Pool situation

Great comments! Sooo helpful! I've read a lot of negative comments about the WL pool being too crowded. Is the Boardwalk pool bigger??? Less crowded? Not that I will be at the pool a lot, but with small kids you never know. Also, Boardwalk does NOT have a kids club, right?

Deb & Bill 02-07-2013 10:57 AM

Get a copy of Birnbaums Walt Disney World for Kids. It might help a lot.

True, there is no kids club at the BWV/BWI, but there is one at the BC.

The Wilderness Lodge has one main pool and there is another non-themed pool (smallish) by the villas. This resort has the problem of guests coming over from Fort Wilderness to use the pool. For some reason, they think because both resorts have Wilderness in the name, they are one resort. They are not.

Rachel Harmon 02-07-2013 11:56 AM

Pool situation

Great comments! Sooo helpful! I've read a lot of negative comments about the WL pool being too crowded. Is the Boardwalk pool bigger??? Less crowded? Not that I will be at the pool a lot, but with small kids you never know. Also, Boardwalk does NOT have a kids club, right?

twinboysmom 02-07-2013 11:58 AM

Your children will love MK. No worries there. There is also a lot to do at the othe parks for children in that age group. Of your resort choices I would pick the WL. As for the pool, I never found it any more crowded than any other wdw resort. AK is also lovely and if your kids are really into animals it's a good choice. As for the BW, we had such terrible bus service there we haven't ventured back. But many people love that resort. Another option that you haven't mentioned is the CR. it has wonderful transportation options (walk to the MK, monorail) and is a lot of fun for little kids to watch the monorail in the resort.

amym2 02-07-2013 03:35 PM

You really can't go wrong with any of them!

Our kids (now 11 and 9) have always enjoyed MK, but their favorite park has always been EP. Chances are your kids will love all of the parks, as each park is unique. And they all have something for people of all ages. Depending on how long you are staying, you should plan to visit all four parks. Plan 2 days at MK and EP if you can swing it.

We stayed at the WL in 2011 and loved it. We didn't stay in the villas, we had a bunkbed room in the lodge. The boat transportation to MK was great, but the buses to the other parks took longer than we expected since they were shared with other resorts (GF, Poly, or FW depending on the park). You will read various reports about buses, so just know that they may be hit or miss.

I'd pick the resort based on which most appeals to you and just go with it. You say "villas" for Boardwalk and WL but not AK- are you looking for a 1-bedroom villa or a standard room?

Rachel Harmon 02-07-2013 04:18 PM

Villas

Thanks for the great responses! We are definitely staying in a villa. I have reserved both Boardwalk and Wilderness Villas. My husband wants the excitement at the BWV...I'm thinking the kiddos might enjoy the theme at WLV.
I've also considered AK Kidani Village, but it would be an extra $1600 more dollars. Is that extra cash really worth it??
So, I'm thinking it's neck and neck between BWV and WLV. AHHHHH They both have pros and cons! HELP! I thought there might be a factor that would put one ahead of the other. I think the majority of responses have been in favor of WL.

amym2 02-07-2013 09:38 PM

Since it's your first trip to WDW, I'd go with the quiet of the WLV instead of the hustle and bustle of the BWV. The parks can be quite exhausting, and chances are you will be more in need of quiet than additional entertainment.

jude&jonah 02-07-2013 09:47 PM

I vote for Wilderness for your first trip as well! :) Can't go wrong with either- but it being a first trip I think it will be nice to be on the lagoon, close to MK, and I also agree Wilderness is a little more relaxed and I think that will be nice on a first trip. I love the WL pool personally as an adult- so relaxing and natural looking. I've always found BWI to be a little stressful- especially when I stayed there years ago.

mickeynut1 02-07-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel Harmon (Post 47433409)

We've never stayed at the Boardwalk so I can't comment on that pool, but we love the pool at the WL and don't think it's too small and have never found it to be overly crowded.