The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Cruise Line Forum (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   former med cruisers who did DCL in Rome (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3060121)

slg 02-05-2013 09:15 PM

former med cruisers who did DCL in Rome

Need help. Can't decide between Jumping back to Eternal Rome OR Vatican Museums, Peter's Basilica and the Colliseum.

Did anyone do either of these excursions and how did you rate them and why.

Sigh. So many decisions!

mkmommy 02-05-2013 09:29 PM

I did the "jumping back to eternal Rome" on the train. I thought it was a good tour, saw the highlights that were on the top of my must see list. It was rushed though, so not a lot if time to stop and linger, but I knew that going in. Not as much walking as I thought there would be.

I understand lunch has been removed from the 2013 tour, and that is probably a good thing as it should give you some free time.

I think I was in a dream that day and could not believe all the things we saw, one famous site after another .

I picked this tour as I wanted to see the Pantheon, and it was a highlight for me.

slg 02-05-2013 09:33 PM

Oh thank you for replying! What was on the 75 minute tour of the Vatican?

Was the train air-conditioned? Was the scenery wonderful? The train part of it really intrigues me...its a couple of hours that I hope is wonderful.

How was the walking tour?

mkmommy 02-05-2013 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slg (Post 47419503)
Oh thank you for replying! What was on the 75 minute tour of the Vatican?

Was the train air-conditioned? Was the scenery wonderful? The train part of it really intrigues me...its a couple of hours that I hope is wonderful.

How was the walking tour?

I was the last cruise in 2011, and we lucked out crowd wise, so if you go when it is busy you may go in a different order . We did the Vatican first basically a short walk from the train station to the Vatican Square then a short tour of St Peters Basilica.

Next it was a bus ride to the Colosseum, a tour inside.

Bus ride to lunch, after lunch it was a walking tour, started near Trevi Fountain which was packed , some free time there, as I remember going in this old church by myself, then walked to the Pantheon, and then we walked to this square which the name escapes me( has the fountain with 4 rivers I think). This was the one place I felt really rushed.

I don't remember much about the train ride, I was too excited to be going to Rome, and then coming back I was like , I can't believe I saw so much.

slg 02-05-2013 09:50 PM

Did you enjoy the walking tours? Were they informative? I wonder why they don't include lunch now.

mickymania 02-06-2013 01:37 AM

We did Romeinlimo for our tour of Rome and loved it. The driver was waiting at the port and was polite and courteous. We also saved a ton of money.

mkmommy 02-06-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slg (Post 47419647)
Did you enjoy the walking tours? Were they informative? I wonder why they don't include lunch now.

The walking part was good, they had the whisper headsets so that makes it easy to hear without having to be on top of everyone. I enjoyed the whole tour. I was solo but I plan on doing the Med with my kids and I would do this tour with them.

I think lunch was removed as people complained that it took too long. You really only have 7 hours in Rome , and by the time you add in the bus ride to and from the restaurant you lose almost 2 hours.

DisneyOHFan 02-06-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickymania (Post 47420450)
We did Romeinlimo for our tour of Rome and loved it. The driver was waiting at the port and was polite and courteous. We also saved a ton of money.

I'm glad to hear it. We have them booked for our June Med cruise.

scottishwee35 02-06-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmommy (Post 47419472)
I did the "jumping back to eternal Rome" on the train. I thought it was a good tour, saw the highlights that were on the top of my must see list. It was rushed though, so not a lot if time to stop and linger, but I knew that going in. Not as much walking as I thought there would be.

I understand lunch has been removed from the 2013 tour, and that is probably a good thing as it should give you some free time.

I think I was in a dream that day and could not believe all the things we saw, one famous site after another .

I picked this tour as I wanted to see the Pantheon, and it was a highlight for me.

We had that in July 07, it was awesome and it was best trip in Rome and we saw lots also this excursion was expensive but it was worthing for us. Kids were a bit grumpy because the weather was very HOT....

We enjoyed it and we love the train just like Orient Express!!

Oh dear that I just found out that it wont do it again. That's shame...

Scottishwee35

PrincessShmoo 02-06-2013 11:10 AM

I know you didn't ask about this one, but I'll throw my $.02 in. We did the Taste Of Rome tour.

Bussed in from ship. Started at Trevi Fountain, then walked over to the Forum. Guide took us through the Forum, and then over to the Coloseum. Spent about 45 minutes there. Then we got back on the bus, over to Vatican City. Our time there was "free time". We walked a couple of streets over to find a local place for lunch (a lot of food), the back to St Peters. We went into St Peters for a while, and then joined the line that went down to the catacombs. Met up with the bus and back to the ship.

The guide had a microphone that she spoke into and everyone on the tour had earphones, so no need to crowd around our guide when stopped to look at things.
You can use your own earbuds/phones, if you wish.

redsonja76 02-06-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickymania (Post 47420450)

We did romeinlimo also and it was MAGNIFICO!!! I recommend it to any and every one. It was the highlight of our trip for sure.