The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com (http://www.disboards.com/index.php)
-   Disney Resorts (http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   We've a got a problem at FW (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3059664)

hoosll 02-05-2013 06:35 AM

We've a got a problem at FW

Background: DH and I are on out 2nd trip to FW in 3 months. We have a dachshund who is almost 15 yrs old. He does get some separation anxiety but he usually stops barking after we leave ....

Yesterday we went to MK and came back to a "nuisance dog" note left on our step ... "dog barked all day" ... no signature. DH was really upset as we don't want to ruin anyone else's vacation but ... it's our vacation, too.

What should we do ...
1. Give it up and head on to our next stop after one day.

2. Figure it was his first day and head out to DHS hoping he will do better today if we leave the radio on or something. But come back in a couple of hours.

3. Cut back to just a couple of short park visits and get a babysitter in to stay with the dog ... wouldn't you like to hear that conversation when we call to schedule.

This would be harder if we weren't just here in Dec .... also HOW do you check out early at FW .... there's no front desk!

petchie 02-05-2013 06:45 AM

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ends-pet-care/

Day Care

Pet day care is available to pets looking for the ultimate day-long getaway. Drop off your pet in the morning and pick up your pet later in the afternoon. Pets will enjoy the same luxurious suites and condos as overnight Guests, as well as the same great amenities and services.

For more information, prices or to make an appointment, call (877) 4 WDW-PETS or (877) 493-9738, or visit the Best Friends Pet Care website.

hoosll 02-05-2013 06:50 AM

Our problem with that ... we have no car so would have to find a way to get the dog there and back ... dog has never been kenneled in 14+ years ... for the money, dogsitter may make more sense.

Terapin 02-05-2013 06:54 AM

1) Taxi
2) Dog will be fine - kennels are safe and set up for this
3) Stranger dogsitter in my RV? Nope, I wouldn't do that.

patty57 02-05-2013 06:57 AM

I wouldn't want to kennel my 15 year old dog who had never been in a kennel before. Dog sitter might be the way to go. You could also try a few hours in a park and a radio.

hoosll 02-05-2013 07:05 AM

We are afraid the note-sender will get us evicted under the nuisance dog provisions of FW rules then we lose our payment ...

Basic problem: if we're out of RV we can't hear the problem. At the other loop in Dec he would cry some times but not other times ... no one complained and we didn't complain about other barking dogs or the noisy music from the site next door that bothered us ... to us it is just part of the campground ambience that we all put up with ...

maxiesmom 02-05-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosll (Post 47411311)
We are afraid the note-sender will get us evicted under the nuisance dog provisions of FW rules then we lose our payment ...

Basic problem: if we're out of RV we can't hear the problem. At the other loop in Dec he would cry some times but not other times ... no one complained and we didn't complain about other barking dogs or the noisy music from the site next door that bothered us ... to us it is just part of the campground ambience that we all put up with ...

I wouldn't kennel an older dog who had never been kenneled either. I think you only have 2 choices--find someone to dog sit, or cut your trip short and move on. While dogs barking may not bother you, it seems to be bothering other people, and they can get you booted from the campground.

Not to mention, if your dog is upset to the point of barking all day, this is not a happy trip for him.

aaarcher86 02-05-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmom (Post 47411343)
I wouldn't kennel an older dog who had never been kenneled either. I think you only have 2 choices--find someone to dog sit, or cut your trip short and move on. While dogs barking may not bother you, it seems to be bothering other people, and they can get you booted from the campground.

Not to mention, if your dog is upset to the point of barking all day, this is not a happy trip for him.

Agree with this entirely.

The dogs separation issues aren't being resolved if he's barking all day long. I personally wouldn't have a problem putting a dog this age over at Best Friends since they aren't in cages - they have small rooms and most (if not all) have televisions playing.

disnut1149 02-05-2013 07:58 AM

Hi
I could never board my dog, especially if he has never been in a kennel before. I haven't read too many good things about Disney's kennel, but it's been awhile. Maybe it has improved recently. I would have to get a pet sitter.
Good luck and I hope everything works out ok and you can still have a great trip!!

hoosll 02-05-2013 08:14 AM

We talked to the front desk and they said a pet loop is expected to have barking dogs. There has been no formal complaint and they put down that we called to try and resolve any issues, even to moving to a different campsite. The girl couldn't have been nicer.

First, we are going to run the radio for company and noise pollution, perhaps voices or noises outside set him off...

Then, we are going to sit quietly outside for 15-20 minutes to gauge his temperment.

I'm considering leaving our cell phone number with front desk and asking to be called if there is a complaint ... we could be back at campsite in an hour or less (using WDW buses) or a taxi if it is an emergency.

Dachshunds have a sharp bark (so their owners can find them underground during hunting) so I know even at 14+ it can be annoying but I find it hard to believe that he can keep the barking up for 4-6 hours straight.

We lost his brother to a brain tumor about 9 months ago and that's when the separation anxiety began, he had never been alone before. If we are going someplace not dog friendly like a beach house, then we have a dogsitter who comes in and stays with him. He is fine during the day at home while we are out running errands. We really had thought that he was getting better.

buzznina 02-05-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosll (Post 47411839)
We talked to the front desk and they said a pet loop is expected to have barking dogs. There has been no formal complaint and they put down that we called to try and resolve any issues, even to moving to a different campsite. The girl couldn't have been nicer.

First, we are going to run the radio for company and noise pollution, perhaps voices or noises outside set him off...

Then, we are going to sit quietly outside for 15-20 minutes to gauge his temperment.

I'm considering leaving our cell phone number with front desk and asking to be called if there is a complaint ... we could be back at campsite in an hour or less (using WDW buses) or a taxi if it is an emergency.

Dachshunds have a sharp bark (so their owners can find them underground during hunting) so I know even at 14+ it can be annoying but I find it hard to believe that he can keep the barking up for 4-6 hours straight.

We lost his brother to a brain tumor about 9 months ago and that's when the separation anxiety began, he had never been alone before. If we are going someplace not dog friendly like a beach house, then we have a dogsitter who comes in and stays with him. He is fine during the day at home while we are out running errands. We really had thought that he was getting better.

You have went to the front desk and they said that it is not an issue, so I would just leave the radio on and head to the park. I would come back in a few hours to see if he is barking and then decide from there.

maxiesmom 02-05-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosll (Post 47411839)

I don't understand why you would leave a dog you know has separation anxiety alone for long stretches of time. He is barking because he is a highly unhappy dog, and I doubt turning the radio on will change that.

Honestly? If you care about your dog as much as you say you do you will either find someone to sit with him, or leave. I think it is cruel to leave him alone, knowing he has issues, and just try to drown out his barking.

2girlsmomma 02-05-2013 09:28 AM

You have done your due diligence. Don't stress about it, enjoy your trip! If it bothers anyone badly, they will contact the Front Desk who will talk to you and they've said they won't evict you on the first complaint. Seriously doubt the note writer heard him ALL DAY, because who hangs out at DW at their site all day? At least part of it they were at DW!

jwgm2012 02-05-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiesmom (Post 47412508)
I don't understand why you would leave a dog you know has separation anxiety alone for long stretches of time. He is barking because he is a highly unhappy dog, and I doubt turning the radio on will change that.

Honestly? If you care about your dog as much as you say you do you will either find someone to sit with him, or leave. I think it is cruel to leave him alone, knowing he has issues, and just try to drown out his barking.

Are the owners never to leave their areas going forward? They were responsible to book in the pet loop and per front desk, barking dogs are to be expected. Granted, dog may not be enjoying itself, like you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to judge and call it cruel. It hasn't been that long that dog lost his bro - maybe a new playmate should be in store for the future to help with the lonliness? Either way, OP having a dog sitter come over will help you enjoy your time at the parks too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2girlsmomma (Post 47412510)
You have done your due diligence. Don't stress about it, enjoy your trip! If it bothers anyone badly, they will contact the Front Desk who will talk to you and they've said they won't evict you on the first complaint. Seriously doubt the note writer heard him ALL DAY, because who hangs out at DW at their site all day? At least part of it they were at DW!

This but also go with your original thought to get a pet sitter. It will make you feel better and let you enjoy your vacation.

maxiesmom 02-05-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwgm2012 (Post 47412596)
Are the owners never to leave their areas going forward? They were responsible to book in the pet loop and per front desk, barking dogs are to be expected. Granted, dog may not be enjoying itself, like you mentioned, but I don't think it's fair to judge and call it cruel. It hasn't been that long that dog lost his bro - maybe a new playmate should be in store for the future to help with the lonliness? Either way, OP having a dog sitter come over will help you enjoy your time at the parks too.

I do think it is cruel to take a dog that has just lost it's playmate somewhere, and leave it alone. And to continue to do so once it has shown it is unhappy and stressed. A radio will only cover up the noise, and won't do anything to help the dog.